Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2021, 16:08   #1
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Default Back in 75 Ownership - My new car was a lemon!

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my post recently about leaving 75 ownership and replacing with a 2008 Jaguar XF, which I was over the moon with.

Unfortunately, I got the XF up on a lift this morning at a local garage and we were shocked to find the underside was rotten.

Very sad as I loved the car and I am now out of pocket a bit (though distance selling regulations mean I am able to return the car to recoup some of my money). It was immaculate inside and out but was hiding a nasty secret underneath.

None of this mentioned on MOT history either...

Amazing that my 75 that is 4 years older and has done nearly twice the mileage is in far better condition underneath, so I am going to do what I should've done in the bl00dy first place and spend the money getting the 75 sorted.

Lessons learned here:
1. NEVER buy a car without seeing it in person. Hard at the moment I know but nothing beats getting dirty on the ground and crawling underneath with a torch.

2. NEVER buy a Jaguar. Can't believe the corrosion prevention is that bad on a 2008 car.

Happy to be back driving my 75 though. I had forgotten how well she drives.
Good job I hadn't sold her yet!
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 16:09   #2
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Had to post on here about this just to vent.
I am in a bit of a sulk today after finding all this out.
Old 20th February 2021, 16:34   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Lesson learnt. I went with an old friend, a lady indeed, to have a look at a Citroen many years ago at a garage in Birmingham. Quite surprised how good it looked, and perfect inside, tyres good, no dinks on bodywork. Really highly polished to within an inch of its life. I asked if they could put it up on the ramp so I could have a look underneath. ‘Well we are a bit busy at the moment (nobody else was in the garage). I said I have been asked to have a look at your car by this lady, it’s not for me. Oh ok, we will put it up for you. When I looked the bottom was almost falling out of it. Never said anything to them. Asked about the mot, and was told that they would get it mot’d for her. I asked how much they were willing to spend to get it through and was told ‘oh it will fly through’. We walked away. About 18 months down the line, the same garage was took to court for selling substandard vehicles, and giving out bent mot’s. Lesson learnt again. If they can not put it on ramps for inspection. Don’t buy it.
Old 20th February 2021, 16:40   #4
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

Every time I visit my local garage the guys always comment about how good the 75 is underneath compared to ‘modern’ cars. Volkswagens and Vauxhall’s seem to be the worst with serous corrosion setting in after only SIX years. They also describe how easy it is unbolting things on the Rover compared to much younger vehicles where everything is seized. Must be our throwaway society.
Enjoy your 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 16:54   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my post recently about leaving 75 ownership and replacing with a 2008 Jaguar XF, which I was over the moon with.

Unfortunately, I got the XF up on a lift this morning at a local garage and we were shocked to find the underside was rotten.

Very sad as I loved the car and I am now out of pocket a bit (though distance selling regulations mean I am able to return the car to recoup some of my money). It was immaculate inside and out but was hiding a nasty secret underneath.

Amazing that my 75 that is 4 years older and has done nearly twice the mileage is in far better condition underneath, so I am going to do what I should've done in the bl00dy first place and spend the money getting the 75 sorted.

Lessons learned here:
1. NEVER buy a car without seeing it in person. Hard at the moment I know but nothing beats getting dirty on the ground and crawling underneath with a torch.

2. NEVER buy a Jaguar. Can't believe the corrosion prevention is that bad on a 2008 car.

You have my sympathy, this is not nice.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 17:07   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Hi all,

Lessons learned here:

I have been there, albeit with an X-Type and a untraceable limp mode issue (10 years later I believe it to have been a turbo actuator issue/leak). But this was so perfect everywhere, with common issues (for that time) being sorted. Top money, ad 3 months later, it was traded against a used dealer supplied Passat lost three grand on it between dealer trade in price and the main dealer labour charges.

Because of the era, British car, and looks, I was put off ZTs and 75s at the time because of it (we know better now lol).

One tip though, when looking at a low mileage car, always check and expect the rust to be worse than a higher mileage. Low mileage suggests standing for long periods, and therefore a major lack of air flow. Static moisture and air promotes oxidisation.

One thing

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 17:12   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Built-in obsolescence I'm afraid. Sad to say that Jaguars are not what they were. My 1986 Series 3 is still on its original exhaust, and has never been welded, yet I had to spend a fortune on having rust dealt with on a 1999 Daimler Super V8. Luckily I bought it cheap enough to warrant the expense. Very sorry for your experience.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 18:48   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like a current British manufacturer has learnt diddly squat from history.

Thanks for having the courage to post up how your "over the moon" car turned out.

Welcome back (sort of) .

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2021, 19:19   #9
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Thanks all for the kind words and for your own stories and experiences.

Its as I've always said to people, if you know a car well, you know it's history, it's foibles, what's been done and what needs doing, don't walk away from that.

I just wish I had followed my own advice in this case!

Looking forward to ticking a few things off the list on my 75 when the weather gets a bit warmer then I'm going to treat her to some bodywork pampering.
Old 21st February 2021, 08:24   #10
Cantray
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8 Club SE, Rover 75 cdt Club, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Thank you, and sorry to hear this. Can I ask where the corrosion was? In the bodywork / sills/ subframe? Or all three perhaps? Asking for a friend.
Cantray is offline   Reply With Quote