Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2021, 18:04   #1
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default A couple of things

Hi everyone first of all last Saturday ( 1st of May) spent most of the day with Leighton and Pete down at Lates garage in the little village of Grandborough near Dunchurch. What initially started out as an oil leak from the cam seals on my 54 plate ZT V6 ended up being a bit more. Upon investigation and consideration we decided to go for a full cambelt change, replace the cam seals, new tensioner, water pump, reinforced thermostat kit, 6 plugs, rocker cover gaskets and gauze filters and obviously fresh oil & filter and coolant. A big thank you to both Leighton and Pete for some brilliant work in a short time frame and i stayed there the whole time with my flask and sandwiches to watch the complete job which was fascinating to say the least having never seen this done before. Which brings me to my second point most people i know ask me why i keep spending sums of money on the car. My usual reply is that it is my hobby car and keeps me busy and gives me something to do. Then i will say well who knows one day it may well be a desirable classic and it is worth hanging on to. I say to them that they are getting slowly rarer and my other half jokes that maybe that is because they are all in the scrapyard!! To which i reply that she will eat her words one day when it is worth a bit of money. That may or may not ever be the case, who knows but i did look on Auto Trader the other day and there were only 2 ZT saloons on there for sale . So maybe they are now starting to dwindle away pretty rapid. My particular ZT is the V6 but it is the SE version, does anyone know if the SE is any more hard to find than the standard ZT at all or not? And realistically how scarce are they now starting to become? Cheers Mark.
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 18:41   #2
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

The ZT 190 SE is rare, I'm not sure how many were made but I think on the 'how many are left' there were about 80 last time I looked.

I have an SE myself, which I know is one of 11 Firefrosts produced, and I didn't know how rare they were at the time I bought mine, it also now has the added SE pack with H&K, rear blind and folding mirrors.

The only real difference in the body is the sunroof, so you could quite possibly upgrade an ordinary ZT with all the bits to get equivalent spec.

Edit - according to 'how many left' there were 86 made with around 54 surviving (about 50/50 SORN)

Last edited by kelvo; 8th May 2021 at 18:58.. Reason: figures updated
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 20:00   #3
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
The ZT 190 SE is rare, I'm not sure how many were made but I think on the 'how many are left' there were about 80 last time I looked.

I have an SE myself, which I know is one of 11 Firefrosts produced, and I didn't know how rare they were at the time I bought mine, it also now has the added SE pack with H&K, rear blind and folding mirrors.

The only real difference in the body is the sunroof, so you could quite possibly upgrade an ordinary ZT with all the bits to get equivalent spec.

Edit - according to 'how many left' there were 86 made with around 54 surviving (about 50/50 SORN)
54 left? wow didnt realise the figure was that low. I had a standard ZT V6 before this one but i was on the lookout for the SE so when this one came along i snapped it up. I have had it 4 years this year. Extra features on my SE compared to the other one are the electric sunroof, Xenon headlights, full black leather seats, front seats are both electric adjustable and heated, cruise control, sat nav and headlight washers. The central entertainment display is different as well with a display screen and the previous owner had a freeview tv built into it which is useful when you are hanging around waiting for the wife to come out of the shops! By the way how do you find the how many left information?
Old 8th May 2021, 20:22   #4
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I just realised I looked at the ZT-T rather than the ZT so there were about 154 built and 48 on the road.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mg_zt_se_v6_190

I had a Mk1 previously and fancied a change and this was the first Mk2 that I saw purely by chance as i was just browsing. Loved the colour straight away and it had the spec so I bought it, only later finding out how rare the SE spec was.
Old 9th May 2021, 07:40   #5
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

The problem with the How many left site, is that it only covers vehicles in the UK and doesn't take into account vehicles have been exported
Old 9th May 2021, 09:35   #6
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I just realised I looked at the ZT-T rather than the ZT so there were about 154 built and 48 on the road.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mg_zt_se_v6_190

I had a Mk1 previously and fancied a change and this was the first Mk2 that I saw purely by chance as i was just browsing. Loved the colour straight away and it had the spec so I bought it, only later finding out how rare the SE spec was.
Thanks for that i just had a look at those figures. Makes interesting reading.
Old 9th May 2021, 09:41   #7
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
The problem with the How many left site, is that it only covers vehicles in the UK and doesn't take into account vehicles have been exported
Yes i thought about that, cant have been that many that were exported though surely?
Old 10th May 2021, 01:00   #8
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
Yes i thought about that, cant have been that many that were exported though surely?
only way to know for sure would be for someone with a 190se to give the member on here (sorry I don't remember the name) the chassis number so they can tell them how many were made. Then it's just a case of taking the site number away from it and we know how many were exported
Old 10th May 2021, 08:26   #9
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
Thanks for that i just had a look at those figures. Makes interesting reading.
Other thing as well is the Mk2 was only made for a couple of years before MGR went bust, so didn't have a particularly long production run compared to the Mk1.

I know my car was built in May 2004 but wasn't actually registered until March 2005