Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th May 2017, 17:25   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default I am completely baffled!? Powerfold Issue Help

Hi all,

I have a ZT here today that I am working on, some of you may know it as it's Jordan Apex's old car. At some point previously it has had powerfold mirrors retrofitted, and there has been an intermittent fault where every now and again the powerfolds would stop working, and then would start working again all by themselves.

Today I had the job of removing the drivers door car, and as expected, during the process the powerfolds have stopped working again. So I've spent the last few hours trying to work out why they're not working. I've gone through wiring diagrams to understand how they work, and have worked out the corresponding wires in the car itself (non-oem loom has been fitted for them).

So I understand that there are 2 pins in the driver's electric windows switch that power the mirrors, and wiring from both of those pins have to be wired up to the 2 pin power fold mirror plugs on each mirror. Simple enough.

Well here's where I'm totally baffled. I've spent hours today testing the mirrors and this is what I've found:

- I've tested the driver's side powerfold mirror directly with a power supply and it works.
- I've also tested the passenger's side powerfold mirror directly with a power supply and it also works. So the motors in both mirrors work perfectly fine.
- I've then checked all the connections in the wiring loom thats been fitted, and removed all crimp connections and redone them by soldiering the connections
- I've then tested the wiring loom running to both mirrors directly to a car battery and the powerfolds work.
- I've then removed the two pins from the plug which goes into the drivers window switch pack and tested it from here directly to a car battery, in order to eliminate any faults in the wiring loom causing a problem. The powerfolds still work.

BUT, if I put the pins back into the plug for the driver's window switch, plug it in and press the powerfold button I get nothing, completely dead.

I've tried 3 different powerfold switch packs and none of them work, however they all work on my ZT's powerfolds.

I've checked the pins in the plug that goes into the driver's window switch and they seem like they're getting a good connection.

So I just don't understand why the powerfolds won't work. There doesn't seem to be any reason for them to not work.

All of the above testing has been done with the key in position 2 in the ignition and also with the car started.

Is there a separate fuse for the powerfolds? I've seen there's a fuse for the electric mirrors (fuse 11) but can't see a separate fuse for the powerfolds.

Any ideas? I'm totally lost with this one.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 19:16   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Hi all,

I have a ZT here today that I am working on, some of you may know it as it's Jordan Apex's old car. At some point previously it has had powerfold mirrors retrofitted, and there has been an intermittent fault where every now and again the powerfolds would stop working, and then would start working again all by themselves.

Today I had the job of removing the drivers door car, and as expected, during the process the powerfolds have stopped working again. So I've spent the last few hours trying to work out why they're not working. I've gone through wiring diagrams to understand how they work, and have worked out the corresponding wires in the car itself (non-oem loom has been fitted for them).

So I understand that there are 2 pins in the driver's electric windows switch that power the mirrors, and wiring from both of those pins have to be wired up to the 2 pin power fold mirror plugs on each mirror. Simple enough.

Well here's where I'm totally baffled. I've spent hours today testing the mirrors and this is what I've found:

- I've tested the driver's side powerfold mirror directly with a power supply and it works.
- I've also tested the passenger's side powerfold mirror directly with a power supply and it also works. So the motors in both mirrors work perfectly fine.
- I've then checked all the connections in the wiring loom thats been fitted, and removed all crimp connections and redone them by soldiering the connections
- I've then tested the wiring loom running to both mirrors directly to a car battery and the powerfolds work.
- I've then removed the two pins from the plug which goes into the drivers window switch pack and tested it from here directly to a car battery, in order to eliminate any faults in the wiring loom causing a problem. The powerfolds still work.

BUT, if I put the pins back into the plug for the driver's window switch, plug it in and press the powerfold button I get nothing, completely dead.

I've tried 3 different powerfold switch packs and none of them work, however they all work on my ZT's powerfolds.

I've checked the pins in the plug that goes into the driver's window switch and they seem like they're getting a good connection.

So I just don't understand why the powerfolds won't work. There doesn't seem to be any reason for them to not work.

All of the above testing has been done with the key in position 2 in the ignition and also with the car started.

Is there a separate fuse for the powerfolds? I've seen there's a fuse for the electric mirrors (fuse 11) but can't see a separate fuse for the powerfolds.

Any ideas? I'm totally lost with this one.
Try fuse 35 & fuse 4 passenger fusebox Just been looking at the wiring diagram, also, the wires for the folding part are orange & orange/red, but I'm sure you've checked those Rick
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 19:35   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Have you cleaned the circuit board/buttons themselves. I used a fibreglass circuit board cleaning pen to do my window switches (no doubt similar) and it worked a treat after that.

Link:-
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=window+switch
Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 9th May 2017 at 19:42..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 21:32   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Have you cleaned the circuit board/buttons themselves. I used a fibreglass circuit board cleaning pen to do my window switches (no doubt similar) and it worked a treat after that.

Mike
this worked for me when the mirrors would not adjust

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 21:54   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

i think you will find that cross loom is a home made hodge podge...

I could not make heads nor tails of it when the car was in with me last year and the mood lighting makes me suspect that the additional electrics in their entirety need pulling and re mapping with proper grounding, resistors and fuses...
Old 9th May 2017, 22:30   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Try fuse 35 & fuse 4 passenger fusebox Just been looking at the wiring diagram, also, the wires for the folding part are orange & orange/red, but I'm sure you've checked those Rick
I'll check those tomorrow yeah that's why I'm so baffled, I've checked all the wiring going from the switch to both mirrors. If I pull the two pins for the powerfolds out of the plug that goes into the drivers window switch pack and power them directly to a battery the powerfolds work just fine. But won't work when plugged into the window switch.

Quote:

Mike
Quote:
this worked for me when the mirrors would not adjust

macafee2

I've tried 3 different switch packs which all work on my ZT but won't work on this one. So it's not the circuit on the switch pack unfortunately.

Quote:
i think you will find that cross loom is a home made hodge podge...

I could not make heads nor tails of it when the car was in with me last year and the mood lighting makes me suspect that the additional electrics in their entirety need pulling and re mapping with proper grounding, resistors and fuses...
You've had a go at trying to solve this issue too then, very strange isnt it. It just doesnt make sense to me that when tested directly to a battery they work perfectly fine, but won't work when plugged in, and yet the powerfold switches i've tried work fine on my ZT.

I've followed the home made wiring loom for the power folds and its all correct, had to redo some connections and remove crimp connectors but it is wired up correctly. The only extra bit of wiring is the led door card light earthed to the earth on the window switch plug.
Old 10th May 2017, 05:20   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Have the wires been added to the door looms themselves or has it just been fed through the grommet into the car? Could have scrubbed or nicked the insulation enough to short it out with the opening/closing of doors tugging the wires?
When I did mine I added the pins and soldered the wires to them, never had any issues.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 20:14   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Have the wires been added to the door looms themselves or has it just been fed through the grommet into the car? Could have scrubbed or nicked the insulation enough to short it out with the opening/closing of doors tugging the wires?
When I did mine I added the pins and soldered the wires to them, never had any issues.
The wiring has been added to the door looms so they go through the grommets. The fault isn't in the loom, as the whole loom has been tested directly to a battery and it works fine. It's not the switch causing the issue either as I've tried 3 drivers window switches and none work, but all 3 work perfectly fine on my car.

Do powerfolds work independently or are they linked to the BCU or ECU in any way that could be causing a problem?
Old 10th May 2017, 20:49   #9
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
The wiring has been added to the door looms so they go through the grommets. The fault isn't in the loom, as the whole loom has been tested directly to a battery and it works fine. It's not the switch causing the issue either as I've tried 3 drivers window switches and none work, but all 3 work perfectly fine on my car.

Do powerfolds work independently or are they linked to the BCU or ECU in any way that could be causing a problem?
have you got a copy of RAVE, it will show you...
Old 10th May 2017, 22:24   #10
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Here is the wiring diagram , have you considered the wiring in the door switch plug is at fault which may explain why you get the same result with known good switches ?

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote