Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2018, 19:24   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default testing- any interest in brand new custom stainless door kick trims?

Just seeing if there'd be much interest....ROVER 75 & MG ZT BRAND NEW POLISHED STAINLESS KICK PLATE SILL PROTECTOR TRIMS.

Here's a little something I've been working on which may be of interest to some. On my ZT my 15 year old chrome kick plates on the door sills have been looking pretty battered and tired, covered in scratches and dents, and I'd been thinking of having some custom ones made up for some time now ... well last month was the last straw when I accidentally caught my shoe on my driver's kick plate and bent it up, resulting in me having to remove it due to a massive kink in the middle of it!

I've now had a brand new front and rear kick trim made up to trial fit. They are finished in stainless steel and are very shiny, much shinier than the original chrome finished kick plates. They look like they are chrome basically.

At first I was pushing for the new kick trims to be sized to fit into the black housing for the original kick trim, however they're unable to make it in the correct shape required. Therefore, we have gone for a larger stainless kick trim, which is actually pretty much the same size as the original black plastic housing for the factory kick trim..

Just to get an idea of how they would look fitted, I placed them over the factory kick plates on my 75 which you can see in the photos below, and I have to say going for a larger stainless plate definitely looks much better than the original factory plates, gives a much cleaner finish without a black border around them. and having fresh kick plates in stead of those old scratched up ones has made a huge difference.

If I am to have these made up in a batch order, I am able to do custom design finishes. The design is acid etched into the steel plates, so they're not stickers which would come off over time.. Personally, I've found the ZT chrome kick plates to be rather boring, as they're just plain chrome - whereas other cars usually have their brand logo, or model name or something along those lines on the kick plates. The rover 75 kick plates for example have "R O V E R" on them.

Just to see if there would be any interest, I've mocked up some possible draft designs for MG ZT kick plates and also for Rover 75 kick plates, to give you an idea on what could be possible. I may even be able to do custom personalised designs on the plates, which may be of interest to those who have a limited edition model such as the monogram owners who can have their build number etched onto the plate. I plan to have "monogram typhoon (IAB) # 42 of 74 made" etched onto my own set.

Prices = prices haven't been confirmed yet, but would be roughly around £65 per set of 4.

Would there be any interest in me having these made up? I would need to have fairly large quantities made up for this to be viable.

Cheers

How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 19:33   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Do you know, you & I must think alike I was searching Alibaba years ago for these with the intention of illuminating them, lighting the Rover or MG lettering Even tried cutting the Rover out from an old one to try & fit leds underneath Good luck with these Rick, look good
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 19:35   #3
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

some good designs there .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 19:50   #4
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Do you know, you & I must think alike I was searching Alibaba years ago for these with the intention of illuminating them, lighting the Rover or MG lettering Even tried cutting the Rover out from an old one to try & fit leds underneath Good luck with these Rick, look good
Devils!!!

Old 1st March 2018, 20:31   #5
75 tinkerer
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Is stainless hard enough to resist scratching?
75 tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:15   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Well we have similar taste in mods

It wouldn't be possible to get these ones made to illuminate from behind with LEDs. Even if I had the letters cut out, they aren't able to make a plastic mold casing which the trim could be fitted to in order to fit LEDs behind it. And it's a bit harder to do on our cars as the trims fit straight to the metal sill on the car giving no space for LEDs, whereas some other cars have the kick trim on the plastic door kick trim just inside the door opening, which makes it easier to fit LEDs under the kick trim.

However... just been digging around last night and today and I think I can get LED illuminated ones made up. They'll be more expensive than these due to the work involved, looking at costs they'll probably be over £100 a set, however they do look absolutely amazing.

Have a look at this video, which has similar LED kick trims to the ones I've found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcraXnKKcI

Quote:
some good designs there .
Thank you these are just to give a few ideas of whats possible

Quote:
Is stainless hard enough to resist scratching?
I would say it would be possible to scratch these if you catch something hard enough on them.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:38   #7
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

Cool

Yes Yes! looks like a great idea. Especially the illuminating ones

And this design would be the one for me:-

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:07   #8
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Just to advise i bought a pair of front kick trims from DMGRS early last year and they were Engraved with the MG Logo .

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:08   #9
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Your timing could be better - I bought a brand new set from Rimmers only last year .

Have to say though, the stainless ones do look very nice . From a personal point of view, I'd go for 3 with the plain Rover name, and one for the drivers door with the monogram text. The illuminated ones are, of course, even nicer, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Many thanks for posting.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:11   #10
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default kickplates

OMG the illuminated ones!
Damn I need more money! :-)

Matt, you bad bad man! lol