Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2021, 17:03   #1
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts
Default LED headlight upgrades. MOT Rules??

A classic car site that I am a member of have just posted this?

Update to MOT rules from 1st Feb. Until now fitting HID headlight upgrades have been illegal, LEDs have been a grey area. From 1st Feb LEDs cannot be fitted into headlight units that were designed for std halogen! The mot testers now MUST fail if you have done this and it's part of the MOT check!

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 30th March 2021 at 16:25..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 17:18   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Direct from my online testing manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

So Yes it would be a fail, our VOSA guy told me a few days ago that they are going to get tough on conversions.

Hope that helps
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 17:20   #3
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

There is going to be a heck of a lot of failures if the MOTs testers are diligent enough hopefully

Absolutely hate some of these headlights on cars and vans that pretty much burn your retina out where it's quite evidently had HID or LED upgrades just put on with obviously no care to given for alignment.

I hate this trend for modern LED headlights and DRLs which just present you with a wall of light so you have no perception of speed of approach, or even if it's a car or truck.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 17:21   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Thanks Mick,
So, does that include led sidelights and halo rings?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 17:41   #5
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I’d say so if it’s been done as part of the halogen headlamp unit conversion, Mark (sworks) will probably clarify this more clearly, but this part is also interesting too as the wiring will be checked too.
I know our tester has said he’s going to be on this as it’s a important safety aspect, he expects to fail a fair few.
4.11. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - Electrical wiring - Changed sentence from 'You must inspect all visible electrical wiring, other than on Class 3 vehicles.' to 'You must carry out a visual only inspection of all visible electrical wiring. The check does not apply to Class 3 vehicles.'
4.11. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - Electrical wiring - Added sentence 'You should be mindful of high voltage components and cabling as these may be capable of delivering a fatal electric shock.'

Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by Mickyboy; 13th January 2021 at 17:49..
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 18:24   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

It's about time too, the amount of plums driving around in cars with LED headlight bulbs in reflector style lamps scattering ultra bright blinding light is appalling.

I would go one step further and ban outright the sale of LED bulbs in H4 and H7 format.

I have halogen projector lamps in the ZT, and the Mini has factory fit Bi-Xenon lamps, and if I'm honest the ZT has a better beam pattern and a much warmer colour output which is certainly much kinder to other road users and perfectly satisfactory for night time driving.

Don't get me started on the latest crop of SUV style cars with arc lamps at eye level

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 18:55   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Basically if the wires protrude from the opening in the headlight it’s a fail.

Looks like some rerouting required for some folk!
Old 13th January 2021, 22:46   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
I’d say so if it’s been done as part of the halogen headlamp unit conversion, Mark (sworks) will probably clarify this more clearly, but this part is also interesting too as the wiring will be checked too.
I know our tester has said he’s going to be on this as it’s a important safety aspect, he expects to fail a fair few.
4.11. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - Electrical wiring - Changed sentence from 'You must inspect all visible electrical wiring, other than on Class 3 vehicles.' to 'You must carry out a visual only inspection of all visible electrical wiring. The check does not apply to Class 3 vehicles.'
4.11. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - Electrical wiring - Added sentence 'You should be mindful of high voltage components and cabling as these may be capable of delivering a fatal electric shock.'

Mick
Mick,
I read that as
'look at the main lighting wiring' and 'be careful if HID is fitted, you are expected to just look, don't touch'
I too really hate these high beam jocks but it's a lot of newish cars too that are being driven with badly aimed OEM fitted kit (especially the faux 4WD stuff) - why I don't know but it's far too common and I believe it's got a lot to do with suspension meaning the high beam is not set sufficiently low to accommodate the normal range of road surface 'bounce'. Do the standards for what is a static alignment process need a bit of correction?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2021, 23:07   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I think LED lights should be banned. They totally blind me on a regular basis. Even new cars with them fitted as standard are down right dangerous. That's before they start driving over speed bumps with them turned on.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2021, 10:32   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Thanks Mick,
So, does that include led sidelights and halo rings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Basically if the wires protrude from the opening in the headlight it’s a fail.

Looks like some rerouting required for some folk!

If the above is correct, then there will tens or hundreds of owners having to rectify the lights on their cars, what about the side indicators if they have been changed from original white to black, orange etc, will they be ok as long as they do not have LED bulbs in them?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote