Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th April 2021, 20:20   #1
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default For the technical bods

EGR bypass.
Are there any negatives to having one of these fitted and, if not, can anyone recommend a good one?
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 20:27   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

The only negative that springs to mind is the fact that insurance companies class it as a modification. Other than that it does no harm, egr is just a way of asking an engine to eat it’s own excrement. As for which one, I think they’re all much of a muchness. A cheaper alternative I’d to unplug the solenoid & clean the valve out & make sure it shuts
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 20:31   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

More on the EGR Bypass Valve....Modify or Leave alone------------

Search for the above.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 20:37   #4
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I wonder if disabling the ECR increases acid dilution in the engine oil. It certainly helps to poison the air we breath.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 20:38   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The other negative is that it can break the egr flexi pipe on some autos!!

Don't know why it does this but i have seen it happen to a few, never seen a fractured pipe on a manual
Old 24th April 2021, 20:57   #6
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

I was thinking more along the lines of preventative medicine to be honest. EGR blanking kits have been commonplace for years now but it's not something I've ever investigated and as such I don't really know much about it.
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 23:09   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of preventative medicine to be honest. EGR blanking kits have been commonplace for years now but it's not something I've ever investigated and as such I don't really know much about it.
Hi David.
Remove your EGR give it a good clean scrap out most of the crud, you can then use swarfega with a tooth brush to do the rest, wash it out with carb cleaner after.

if you want a bypass one gut your original EGR as here below.

No MOT tester will know the difference

Be warned though no point in any of the above if you do not clean out the manifold as well, remove the MAP sensor wipe that with a rag sprayed with carb cleaner.

To clean the manifold again scrap out most of the crud and then use oven cleaner soak for at least 2-3 hours and jet wash it out repeat if you need to.

I have seen some really bad ones.

You want the inside to look like this.

MAP sensor before and after a clean wipe.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 07:05   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David.
Remove your EGR give it a good clean scrap out most of the crud, you can then use swarfega with a tooth brush to do the rest, wash it out with carb cleaner after.

if you want a bypass one gut your original EGR as here below.

No MOT tester will know the difference

Be warned though no point in any of the above if you do not clean out the manifold as well, remove the MAP sensor wipe that with a rag sprayed with carb cleaner.

To clean the manifold again scrap out most of the crud and then use oven cleaner soak for at least 2-3 hours and jet wash it out repeat if you need to.

I have seen some really bad ones.

You want the inside to look like this.

MAP sensor before and after a clean wipe.

Arctic, do you do an exchange service, clean ones for crudded up ones?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 08:53   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Arctic, do you do an exchange service, clean ones for crudded up ones?

macafee2
Hi Ian.
Only at the Nano meets or if you came to my house that was when you could. I have been asked a few times to post out & exchange and the answer was/is the same, i have six ready to go which if the meets were going would be taken up within the weekend of our meets, we have only one this year so far as a tester due to C19 link below.

A Pm would have to be sent so a time could be allocated for the exchange as you could imagine it gets really busy at our Nano meets or used to

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/f...hp?f=197&t=640

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 11:01   #10
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Ian.
Only at the Nano meets or if you came to my house that was when you could. I have been asked a few times to post out & exchange and the answer was/is the same, i have six ready to go which if the meets were going would be taken up within the weekend of our meets, we have only one this year so far as a tester due to C19 link below.

A Pm would have to be sent so a time could be allocated for the exchange as you could imagine it gets really busy at our Nano meets or used to

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/f...hp?f=197&t=640

As Arctic says, well worth the effort to disembowel the EGR and manifold etc. put aside a couple of unrushed days if you are going to leave the manifold to soak.

I had, still have, but about to scrap, an 02 plate 75 Tourer, that wasn't quite as smooth as my other one, nothing you could put your finger on though, so best place to start is with something that cost nowt.

Did the deed and as Arctic says and shown in his photos, the contamination and restriction in the bores of manifold and EGR has to be seen to be believed.

Once back together, it was as smooth as a sewing machine and had a crisper pick up.

For anyone who doesn't want the down time whilst doing the work, get one of each off a scrapper, work at leisure, then it's a simple afternoons swap over.

As an aside, the old 02 plate I'm scrapping hasn't turned a wheel or even had a door opened for 4 years, I'm using it as a donor car for the tourer I've just been given, on a whim, I put a charged battery on, third crank it started without any fuss or hesitancy, on the 4 year old derv in the tank and settled down to a smooth idle, then suddenly stopped with what, from the drivers seat appeared to be a cloud of steam / smoke, but what was derv spraying from a split in the under bonnet pump to filter head, replaced it, fired it up and left it to idle for 30 mins not a leak of problem in site and as quiet as a mouse.

It's fitted with the cab heater so when I've got nothing to do 🙄😁 I'll see if that still works.

Dipped the oil, OK, stuck some antifreeze on the refractometer, still spot on, it's a pity it was one of those that tin worm got to.