Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2024, 21:27   #101
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Yes that's the plan from what I've been reading between the lines, The government transport committee came out with a proposal a couple of years ago regarding these differing tax rates that if there's a viable public transport service along your commuter route you would pay an extra congestion charge, Same goes for freight! If the journey is is urban areas & along the route of a railway, the company would pay an extra fee for that as it should have gone via a rail-hub on rail freight.
I have just had a brainwave! Would it not be more lucrative and beneficial to have a charge for going up hills? After all, you use far more fuel going up hills than going down. Another thought.......... how about charging you for how long you are stopped at traffic lights? How about charging you every time you opened your boot lid to put polluting food init to take home. How about putting extra tax on tyres? They could put a tax on for how many miles you do on a set. The less you do the more you are charged.Sorry if this sounds a bit idiotic, but you have to think positive. It would be good for someone’s pocket, just not yours. The older I get, the more I come to the conclusion that the only people who have any guts in this country, are those who we , most, people do not like................... the eco warriors. I don’t back them, but admire that they at least get noticed. I wonder how long we will sit back and take everything at face value about the non existence of poison in the air. Just thought I would like to see how many other people think that the motoring public are sitting back and doing nothing to counter the poisonous non facts about EVs and other things affecting us motorists. Perhaps we should all drive down to that place called Londinium, and just park our cars there and walk away. Oh dear, tonight’s not been a good night.:smilie_re :
Old 20th March 2024, 08:53   #102
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Well said. I sometimes wonder just what the motoring organisations do in return for the contributions those motorists pay and don't break down. In 60 years of membership I've called on them once, when two wheels were stolen while in a public car park.
Chromed spokes, on an S Type Jaguar.
Old 20th March 2024, 11:08   #103
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Yes that's the plan from what I've been reading between the lines, The government transport committee came out with a proposal a couple of years ago regarding these differing tax rates that if there's a viable public transport service along your commuter route you would pay an extra congestion charge, Same goes for freight! If the journey is is urban areas & along the route of a railway, the company would pay an extra fee for that as it should have gone via a rail-hub on rail freight.
Then once again the Richard Head's have not thought through the various issues. For me to take public transport (the bus as the rail lines taken up in the late 1960's) I could use the Green Line service 724. However, only in the one direction as it did not run all the time. So, would they tax me higher as there "was" a public transport route or take a dose of common sense and realise PT did not fit into my commuting requirement.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2024, 11:12   #104
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
It was a new Gov future rail freight strategy I was reading that is linked to netzero. they want as many HGV's off the roads as they can to meet netzero limits. https://rfg.org.uk/wp-content/upload...il-Freight.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.go...eight-plan.pdf

They've just announced that HGV weight limits will raise by 4 tonnes & extra length rear wheel steer trailers to cope with the extra weight of the battery pack, They will keep the new weight limits even if the future battery packs get lighter to minimise the number of HGV journeys.
"EU parliament voted in favour of increasing the maximum weight & length of zero emission trucks by four tonnes & keeping that weight limit in place when future battery packs get lighter."
https://www.electrive.com/2024/03/13...ssion-lorries/
So, we are still in the EU then! Bet they don't uprate the bridges just like they didn't from 36 to 44 tonne.
Kev
Old 20th March 2024, 11:13   #105
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Just received an email today regarding my ongoing direct debit VED payments.My diesel auto is now around £380 a year to tax.
It's gone up by around £40.
It was a nice feeling coming home from work this evening dodging to pot holes and in the safe comfort that my VED has increased by 40 quid
I expect the simpletons to say it is less than a £1 a week.
Kev
Old 20th March 2024, 13:42   #106
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
So, we are still in the EU then! Bet they don't uprate the bridges just like they didn't from 36 to 44 tonne.
Kev

Might as well be regards all forms of transport standards. The DfT said the new ZEV 48 tonne gross weight has already been trialled here since 2022 but only on certain routes.

The UK will need the new 48 tonne limit to cope with the heavier containers coming in from the EU.
These lorries will be able to transport heavier containers directly to and from rail depots so that goods can be transported across the country by train.

Currently, the maximum weight of a lorry (44 tonnes) makes it difficult to carry heavier goods to rail depots, meaning goods are dispersed between more lorries to be taken to their end destination by road.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2024, 19:31   #107
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

So now the bell tolls for 10,000 signatures for what this post was started for, the government must now take notice of it. No thanks to the non believers.
Old 20th March 2024, 22:00   #108
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE saloon, 2.5 KV6 automatic, 2002, White Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
No thanks to the non believers.
Oooh, that sounds a bit bitter.