Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2018, 00:07   #31
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBaillie View Post
It'd be nice not to turn this into a slagging match against the yoof please. 22, bought mine when i was 21.

Everyone i told, my age anyway, that it had leather, wood, TV and Sat Nav, heated seats, tape deck, CD multi changer, stay on headlights as you walk away, an electric blind and parking sensors. Even those with brand new pugs, Fords, Kias and whatever on finance loved it and think it's a quality motor. Everyone wants to go for a drive with me. When i pull up outside my student accommodation and have a fag with friends someone always asks me something about it.

Why just last night, while puffing away on a JPS, a friend said i looked like an old geezer in my work suit and pulling up in the Rover, another piped up "yeah but he paid for his and it's a proper class motor, it's a magnificent beauty" Mind, he was having a bit of green.

All in All, it's very iconic and everyone knows when i'm about town in it "swanning about in that big blue Jag again were you last night, should have come in the pub for a drink" - Go on, take us to Morrisons, i'll buy you something, just take us out in that car will you.

Young people recognise a good car when they see it. They just don't want to be thumbed down by someone for not quite understanding everything when it comes to motoring. So they stay away. Got to remember, it's not like the old days. Expensive petrol, Car Tax, insurance through the roof, driving lessons no cheaper than £22 an hour, less disposable income and more complex cars with harder DIY maintenance, No bodging in a part from a scrappy with a cheap welder or the like. The environmental concerns, less and less young people get into motoring at all. let alone quality or classic motoring. Once again, just looking at the issue more closely rather than lumping us all in one group would be nice. There, i've had my rant. Sorry!
No slagging match at all, the OP asked a question and the stats answered his question. The majority are over 50, some by a long way. I know from experience with my kids, it's all about image. They have to have what their friends have and it takes courage to dare to be different. Good on ya!

Just one thing I would like to point out, you say it's not like the old days, expensive petrol, car tax, insurance etc etc. Everything is relative, Yes petrol was only £1 a gallon when I first started riding my motorbike, but my wage was only £23 and at the time that was quite a good wage for a recent school leaver. My mate was on £15. Motoring has always been expensive.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 29th August 2018 at 00:18..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 06:17   #32
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default Old NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- vehicle

I am 60 and just retired. Bought my 75 a couple of months ago after 6 months of looking. Am an unashamed jagofile and was looking for a retirement toy when i stumbled on an advert for a local(ish) Clubbie. I was aware of these cars being in UK, but had never seen one in Oz. As it turns out that would be because the vast majority are in the East and you don't see too many in the West. I loved the look, inside and out. The smooth drive and just had to have one.
Having had 58 cars and bikes since i was 17,some a lot worse than others, i am seen as an impulsive purchaser. My missus tried to talk me out of buying one and even dangled a brand new XF jag as a better alternative, having just hired one for a few weeks in UK. Most will call me daft, but i chose the 75. After 3 months of ownership, she loves it as much as I, eventhough she is oblivious of the fact that i know full well the thing will cost me a lot of money to keep reliable and looking pristine. Don't care a toss, the pride of ownership and having something that is a relative rarity, makes it a worthwhile exercise. Whether that is the case in the end will be revealed eventually.
A car bought as a third car and toy, is now the vehicle of choice as a daily runner. The 4WD sits in the garage gathering dust and the much newer, and very low mileage Alfa Spider convertible sits in the shed under a cover waiting for spring to be sold. Once sold, may take the wife up on her very generous offer of that XF, but not even sure that i even want one now.
Roker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 08:14   #33
MagicMadjeski

Rover 75

33 and use mine as a family car and everyone loves it. Peer group in their C4 Picasso's and Zafira's tend to mock it until they've sat in it or I've given them a lift. Suddenly then they see its charms.

I love having an slightly rare car and I regularly chat with strangers in car parks about the good old days of Rover and BL. My entire road is filled with Pugs and Vauxhall's which all look the same to me... Just boxes on wheels, my 75 looks sleek and classy in comparison.

People seem to think it is more expensive than it looks. I have had comments at work about my wages being high due to driving a small limo which I laughed at!

I'm proud to say I'm a 75 owner and after reading this thread, I'm glad the age range is nice and varied as hopefully we can keep these wonderful motors going for as long as possible!
MagicMadjeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 08:38   #34
R75800sd1
Avid contributor

Rover 75s; 1 Diesel Tourer, 1 diesel saloon,

Talking

Passed my test at 17 in a 216 efi. Now 47 and had SD1s including V8s, 825's, an 827 and now I have five 75's. They're what I liked then and they're what I like now. So is Marmite come to that
R75800sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 09:11   #35
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Was 35 when I got Tarquin, and always wanted my first car to be a Rover.

Old man's car? It's just another form of badge snobbery that I detest.
Well theres no badges on mine anywhere on the outside,so it kees some people guessing what it is anyway😄

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 10:08   #36
Mertens34
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 v6 Saloon

Im just 22 years old and i bought my own R75 when I was just 19 years old.

I live in The Netherlands so honestly i didnt knew about these cars. I was discussing with my dad which first car i should buy. He mentioned some "starter cars" like Opel corsa, Audi A3, Seat Ibiza etc. etc.
I didnt like any of those because they have cheap (looking) plastic details and everybody drives those already.

I personally wanted to buy a Mercedes Benz because they look and drive very classy. And i just love bright color interiors (Mercedes S-class white leather with wooden dash ) But of course i wasnt able to afford one back then. (i was still a student)

So i told my dad "I just want a classy looking car with a nice interior".
And thats when i first found out about the Rover 75. (thanks to my dad)

And i immediately bought a low mileage good looking Rover 75 2.0 V6 as my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I am 59 now, Got mine when I was 57.

Yep, it's an old man's car, my wife doesn't like it for that very reason.

I think it's because of the old style interior, walnut, leather etc, not exactly trendy is it?

The only issue for an old man's car is it's quite low to get in and out of.
I wouldnt call is trendy but it is full of class. And it was one of the reasons i bought a Rover 75 when i was just 19.

I do have to admit, as a youngster i dont really like the looks of Rover cars I only like the Rover 75.
Mertens34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 11:58   #37
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Bought a Rover 75 1.8T when I was 53, sold that one and now have the MG ZT-T which I bought last year at 56.
Now I'm 57.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 12:14   #38
phatfiesta75
Loves to post

rover 75 2.0 cdti connoisseur se

Bought my first one a 1.8 classic se at 28 then bought a second a connie se 2.0 cdti at 33 and now have a mark two contemporary se 2.0cdti xpower upgrade from factory at 37. Love am!

Last edited by phatfiesta75; 29th August 2018 at 12:17..
phatfiesta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 12:14   #39
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I'm an older owner (in my 50s) but as its a V8 I wear my bunnet back to front to be up wid da yoofs

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 11:20   #40
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

I bought my 53 plate Tourer last year when i was on the right side of 50! Absolutely love it and was very satisfied to hear the comments of my MOT guy in April after he had originally advised me to scrap it after first test (passed 2nd time). Wish i had bought a 75 earlier instead of wasting 4 years and about £1500 on a Renault Scenic that i hated. Luckily its being entered into a local demolition derby next week, good riddance!! BTW I dont have pipe and slippers but I am rather partial to a werthers!!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote