Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2007, 14:31   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Lpg V8

Someone sent me some shots of their LPG coversion I still have the photos but not the email, Doh!

I would be interested in knowing how you are getting on with the conversion and living with the restricted boot space?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 15:42   #2
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Someone sent me some shots of their LPG coversion I still have the photos but not the email, Doh!

I would be interested in knowing how you are getting on with the conversion and living with the restricted boot space?
can you mail me the photo's please Keith,
Cheers, Nick
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 21:37   #3
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

I meant to have a look at V8s at Haynes in respect of LPG fitting. Unfortunately no-one around at the time to open up bonnet. Engine shouldn't be a problem as USA engines are not so temperamental as, for example, B*W. It's the space that could be difficult.

Last edited by Bernard LPG; 22nd March 2007 at 21:38.. Reason: Posting before reading!
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 21:42   #4
philby777
Regular poster

R75V8 development car

Default Its me

Hi keith I sent the photos will send another with some small cases in the boot. Finding the room ok fits the small weekly shop for family of 4 but if we were going on holiday no good. Have travelled 2000+ miles so far One long run equivelant 39mpg, mixed urban 32mpg, worst around city and fun driving 26 mpg. Glad I did it now I can afford to drive it all the time. However I did breakdown and the car would not start thought it was the fuel clip/fuel pump.Took fuel filter out no clip but ok, pump still clicking and pumping fuel, but car not starting.That was me beat so rang gas installer who told me to hold the gas button in and force a start on gas car started ok told me to bring it down for him to look at. He had the car two days went over what I did check filter/pump got the ex rover dealers mechanic over to look, what a waste of time never seen one before couldn,t help fault codes were telling nothing. Eventually traced it to the fuel line regulator part number MSA000040
was only reading 1.5 volts instead 12v so new one in and back on the road. Car still feels/is faster on gas than petrol. Gas guy cured engine management light he fitted two mil eliminators as my car does not have any catalytic convertors fitted just pipes down to double piped boxes at the rear. Now I know why its so noisey if poeple think thier zeros make a lovely note you want to hear the roar from my standard ones it appears to have been a prototype exhaust with a lot of welded line across the pipes probably to help with noise and vibration I believe the rover auto should have an additional centre box mine does not. Could not take photos of this because it was at the gas place and the smell of petrol ect did not risk camera. Need to waxol soon so will send pics of exhaust. [email protected] if you want any specific photos let me know.
Phil
philby777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:20   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Thanks Phil thought they were yours some you sent were very out of focus so some others would be nice do you know how to post pics here? if not is it ok if I post some of yours?

Can you still get to the battery etc ok?
Re your pipes and no Cats what you going to do come MOT time, can you get an exemption or something?

Bernard, LPG and Supercharger, an unlikely scenario but is it possible?
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:31   #6
philby777
Regular poster

R75V8 development car

Default Lpg

Have new camera and it not as cold (shaky hands) so will take some in focus pics and send them to you, feel free to post any photos I send you (tried and failed to post them).As for mot I am hoping that on the LPG the emmissions will be low enough to pass and that they dont catch on to the fact there isnt any cats. I would be more concerned about the exhaust noise if it was being sva'd i dont think it would pass the drive by noise limit. Not due for a while so will try not to think about it.
Phil
Old 23rd March 2007, 19:59   #7
philby777
Regular poster

R75V8 development car

Default Some info on mpg

Have been asked about mpg so here you go
My average petrol figures are
16 mpg city 21 mpg mixed 26.5 mpg long run
running on LPG they work out for me at
13 mpg city 16 mpg mixed 20 mpg long run
LPG costs me 49p per litre and petrol 99p to 94p per litre so gives me an equivelant of
26 mpg city 32 mpg mixed 39 mpg long run
Have driven a few LPG cars over the years and this is the only one that is faster and drives better on gas than on petrol. Hope that answers some of your questions I just wish I could get lpg at 40p :lol:
Old 23rd March 2007, 20:11   #8
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Phil have you thought of putting it on a dyno to see how petrol and LPG compares? I think a few owners would take notice if there is a measureable increase in BHP or Torque and no holes anywhere

PS email me any pics you would like added
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:17   #9
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

With the kit that is available now, most vehicles can be made to accelerate faster on LPG than on petrol. The reason for this being that on acceleration the fuelling system goes into open loop mode and the fuel provided according to the mapping data.
As LPG will burn OK over a greater fuel/air mixture than petrol so the LPG map can be set up to blow a lot of gas in.
Obviously economy suffers if this is done.
Only vehicles we have deliberately done this to have been the V8 Jaguar and the P38 Rangie.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:59   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Ah I see
So what are we taliking about just a few bhp or quite a few?

Getting intrigued now