Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2007, 10:51   #1
Fleckers
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T V8 SE

Question Tuning the V8

Has anyone tuned the V8 in our cars ?

I have seen that there are a couple with superchargers, I dont want to go that route yet, I was thinking of induction kits, ECU Chip upgrades, exhaust upgrades, brakes, clutches, internal engine bits etc

What have you done ??
Who did the work ?
what boost in performance did you get ?
Are you happy with it ?

Cheers
Fleckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 13:56   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Ironically supercharging is probably the most cost effective way to a considerable increase.
There are Mustang based tuning companies out there that will provide all the others you ask for but costs could quickly mount up.
Brakes and chassis don't need any work to handle up to 400BHP although Andy Kitson has done a revised suspension package.
http://www.vehiclehandlingsolutions.com/page1.htm

Most owners who can't afford the SC bung in a K&N filter mainly because it won't need changing again and getting at them is a pain plus an accufab throttle body and maybe louder back boxes, induction kits don't seem to achieve much other than make a noise.
The headers are a tight fit and may be restrictive but if they are good enough for the SC setup then no point changing them.

The standard Ford ECU has a Rousch tune in it so there may be some alternatives out there but so far every petrol chip tuning product I have ever seen has been too much money for not enough extra BHP imho!

Strangely enough if Phils claims are correct adding LPG may offer a BHP gain!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 18:45   #3
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Talking

You can get up to about 340 - 350 I reckon with ford 4.6lr mod kits from the states. Pullies, cams, throttles etc but like Keith says the s/c is the most cost per bhp effective. You can't do anything like turbos as the room is not there and you would have trouble with the heat. Again like Keith said induction is not worth the effort as it looks marginal at best.

If you have the money and serious about mod'ing it up e-mail me and I will put you in touch with some people that race mustangs, at a price they will sort your engine out with a few bits and bobs.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 21:28   #4
bigsteve
Regular poster

ZT V8

Default V8 tuning

go on to ebay.com

best bits Polished plemiun, stock one's by Jerry are good and keep the insurance co in the dark, he also does a ford racing 70mm thottle body

Hes doing this combo as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget

The other thing he does is gasket to cut down on engine run on between gear shifts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-6-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Do not go for under drive pullys as they will kill the oil pump drive = new engine.

also available on ebay is a very nice looking all alloy inlet manifold.

After that your on engine mods which is a problem as no seems to know how to access the engine ECU via the MG T4 port and fiddle with the engine maps and settings.

But as ever check with your insurance company as most will tell you to ****** off if modifing the engine.

cheers

Steve F
bigsteve is offline   Reply With Quote