Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2013, 14:47   #1
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

Question Am I just being a bit thick? 1.8T cooling system

I really am having a bit of trouble fully understanding what is going on with my car at the moment so am posting this up fully expecting to be shouted at !!

The car has a PRT fitted. (and I've checked there's not an additional one in the dummy housing)
Am I right in thinking that this only opens up when both (a) the temperature gets high enough AND (b) the pressure is sufficient i.e. the engine is doing 2500-3000 rpm?

If this is right, what is supposed to happen if I'm stuck in a traffic jam? Just doing stop/start/crawling along.
The stat will never open as the rpm is insufficient and the auxilliary fan that cuts in at around 110 degrees is worthless as that only blows onto the radiator, and there's no hot water in the radiatior to cool down as the stat hasn't opened to allow the water to flow through.

If I rev the car hard at start up when its sitting on the drive, then the stat will open and the radiator gets nice and hot, but otherwise despite having had the head skimmed and the MLS gasket fitted, flushed the system, and replaced the pump and stat, the temperature keeps heading up to 120 when I'm doing the school run and it seems as if I'm running out of options. Have tried both the original and the new stat with the same result.
Mechanic has drained & refilled the system at least 4 or 5 times and so I'm pretty sure there's no airlock.

Am I missing something really obvious? I do hope so.....

Work on the 1.8T

New pads &cs all round, Bonnet Catch Reversed, Plenums Cleaned, Renewed Selected Radiator Hoses, New Stainless Steel Twin Exhaust,Metal T-Piece, Head Skimmed and MLS Head Gasket, New Cambelt & Alternator Belt, New PRT & Water Pump, New Air Duct Hose, New Radiator, New plugs, coil packs & HT leads, Golden Radiator Resistor.
Car then blew up and I gave up.
Bought the ZT 190 instead !
__chris__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 16:22   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

YES!

It is not both and, but either or, or both.
If you sit in traffic, the thermostat should open because the temperature increases.

Provided you have enough water in the system, (that means, check it) I would replace the thermostat, as it looks as if the temperature part of the equation is not working.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 16:39   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by __chris__ View Post
- - - the auxilliary fan that cuts in at around 110 degrees - - -
Something's wrong if that's an accurate temperature (?). The slow speed should trip on at 104C. The emergency/heat soak high speed will start at around 112C. I'd do the standard Demist test to check if the slow speed is working as it should. PRTs are usually pretty reliable but anything mechanical can fail. The pressure valve on the standard PRT starts opening at about 2000rpm once it's closed by the primary valve at 88C plus.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 19th March 2013 at 16:44..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 17:48   #4
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

Thanks Gents.

Rimmerbros lists PEM101020 as the right one to get, but doesn't have any in stock.
There's also one that is listed as PEM100990 which I understand is the one for the NA version rather than the turbo, so I'm not going to get that.

I previously ordered www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Rover_75_1.8_2005/p/car-parts/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/cooling/car-thermostat/?209750030 from EuroCarParts but have no way of knowing whether they've sent one suitable for a Turbo rather than a NA.

Question is, with none in stock at Rimmerbros, where can I get a new one from?

PS.
I've also seen elsewhere that PEL500110 is a suitable alternative as it's listed on http://www.auto-essentials.co.uk/eco...20-p-3247.html
What do you guys think?
Is there anyone who will know for sure?

Work on the 1.8T

New pads &cs all round, Bonnet Catch Reversed, Plenums Cleaned, Renewed Selected Radiator Hoses, New Stainless Steel Twin Exhaust,Metal T-Piece, Head Skimmed and MLS Head Gasket, New Cambelt & Alternator Belt, New PRT & Water Pump, New Air Duct Hose, New Radiator, New plugs, coil packs & HT leads, Golden Radiator Resistor.

Last edited by __chris__; 19th March 2013 at 17:56..
Old 19th March 2013, 17:52   #5
kaiser
This is my second home

I'm sure you will get one, somewhere!

But, more to the point. Since it seems as if you have replaced this item, why don't you take it out, plunk it into a pot full of water, boil it and see if it opens??

Brand new ones can fail, but it is rather rare.
Old 19th March 2013, 18:05   #6
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Question is, with none in stock at Rimmerbros, where can I get a new one from
Have a look here

http://www.mgroverpartfinder.co.uk/p...20%26browse%3d

Last edited by VMax1000; 19th March 2013 at 18:07..
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 18:11   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I'd do the standard Demist test to check if the slow speed is working as it should.
Chris,

That is your first step, which we have already recommended to you in one of your earlier threads here.

Please report back with the result of the test.

Simon
Old 19th March 2013, 18:19   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Chris,

That is your first step, which we have already recommended to you in one of your earlier threads here.

Please report back with the result of the test.

Simon
This is not quite correct, Simon. The chap states his radiator stays cold if he does not rev the engine. He does not say his fan does not work.
Sure, do the test, if you doubt the fan.
But his problem is a thermostat not opening to heat, but to revs, as he has stated it.
So if we follow your logic, switch on the IPK temperature display and note where the fan starts, to ascertain if all speeds work
Old 20th March 2013, 11:15   #9
__chris__
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
... why don't you take it out, plunk it into a pot full of water, boil it and see if it opens??
Have been driving with the original in situ as I knew that was definitely the right version; have just done this with the new one (which previoously hadn't made any difference). After a while in the pot, the air bubbled out and the stat opened. Kept it in for a while, simmering away and it produced a decent amount of white wax in the water. Perhaps it had been sticking/reluctant to open before and now it's been "seasoned" I'm going to try and fit it tomorrow in the reassuring knowledge that it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too
... please report back
Demist test:
Can't hear anything obvious when I put the demist on from cold.
How long should it take for it to cut in Simon ?

When I had the radiator changed, would the mechanic have had to disconnect the fan? I'm wondering whether there was anything that may not have been put back together correctly, but as the high speed / heatsink fan cuts in, I'd assumed that there weren't any issues with that.

Work on the 1.8T

Old 20th March 2013, 11:20   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

There should be no wax in the water!
Check and see if anything is leaking.

The fan should come on when the A/C is switched on.
It is to cool the evaporator.