Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th December 2019, 22:21   #21
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Remove the pipe at the rh side of the engine (The one that goes to the heater matrix, remove the bottom hose then flush the system using a hosepipe feeding the pipe that goes to the heater matrix.
Old 25th December 2019, 07:47   #22
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Thanks both, unlikely to do this Christmas Day but will do.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2019, 12:32   #23
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
About 26 miles and at 60mph steady speed there was slight movement between 87C and 92C except under firm acceleration which gave rises above this but with immediate drop once at new speed. Hot air for feet (my side) but passenger side always been poor, I'll have to check the pipework one day.

Well, if the coolant is up to the max mark and continues to stay there, I'd say you have an ideal setup. The stat is doing a good job. The imbalance of heat from the cab heater is caused by silting in the passenger side of the matrix. Follow trikey's suggestion and you'll probably get full heating again.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2019, 17:04   #24
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

All's good! Back to the Rover this morning (she'll kill me soon disappearing on Christmas morning) coolant down a tad but was overfilled anyway. I had been filling up to the top of the fins when the actual marks (curtesy of excellent article on the internal make up and workings of both expansion tank and filler cap) are lower down.

Out for a run. As T-Cut said, the thermo now doing it's job. At steady 70mph OBD at 88/89C.

16 miles and when park up 87C. After idling for 15 minutes up to 89C no further movement 15 minutes later.

So I'm spared the Alhambra and take the Rover tomorrow.

I will repkace a couple of hoses on my return, flush out the heater and get the fan going ready for the aircon in the summer (ha ha).

Thank you all so very much. Rather like my vintage motorcycle club, this is the positive side of the internet. Sometimes you just need the support to keep going on.

JohnnyBG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 25th December 2019 at 17:05.. Reason: spelling
Old 10th January 2020, 14:47   #25
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Resurrecting this thread.

After approx 600 miles over Christmas and on return next morning checked coolant. Needed to add maybe a quarter a litre to header tank. I certainly hadn't been light on the pedal as did the return journey of about 180 miles in about three and a half hours with a short stop for sandwiches and coffee.

On run back from work, 37 miles, needed a very small top up the next day but the stop start traffic was awful, hour and a half for a normally 50 minute trip. I had the OBD running and the system seems to be working fine. Settled at 89C, rises on hard acceleration to 91/2 then back to 89C. Park up and drops to 87C at idle! Nowt wrong there. I've been poorly this week and weather too NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to be doing much outside.

I see nothing coming from the connection into the thermo housing. I've ordered a new cap for header tank from DMGRS, the current one is stiff as hell to screw in and is never as tight to unscrew as it is to screw on. It's the cheapest and easiest first step. There's nothing of concern on the dipstick or oil filler cap.

If no joy with the new cap I'll be out with inspection light and maybe puffing talcum powder around to see if there's small leak somewhere. Might do what Artic suggested earlier just as a precautionary measure.

Front drivers side wheel bearing on the SEAT really rumbly now, ho hum. Wish I had a press.

JohnnyBG
Old 19th January 2020, 14:32   #26
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Just to round off in case others have similar experience, after fitting the new (140) expansion tank cap after 45 or so rapid miles no coolant lost at all.

Just the fan to fix now, but it'll wait until weather warms up.

JohnnyBG