Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2020, 16:09   #1
Simon Fawcett

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur Diesel Tourer

Question Direction indicators not working.

51 plate Diesel Connie CDT Tourer.
This Forum is fantastic. Thank you for all the help I've found here. I've not found the answer to this one this time, so I hope someone can help me solve it:
Symptoms:
After parking up - with no sign of problems, I go out later that day and discover that I have no indicators, no Hazard Warning lights, when I lock or unlock the car none of the indicator lights flash and when I switch off the ignition I notice that the interior light no longer comes on. Interior light still works manually. Side and Headlights work OK, dashboard brightness adjustment OK, headlight levelling OK, but on inspection, I find that the rear fog lights are no longer working. Checked the fuses shown in Haynes manual - both OK.
Is this a problem with the light control module? I took it out, tried to clean some of the larger pins. Still not working. I have no idea how to test it.
Is there an indicator relay somewhere that I don't know about?
Any ideas, please?
Simon Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 14:08   #2
Simon Fawcett

Question Direction Indicators not working

Follow up to my earlier post. I discovered that the indicators are working (outside), but not on the dashboard. An auto electrician diagnosed a problem in the communication between the light Control Module and the instrument cluster. The unit that causes the indicator clicks is also not working.
I've removed the cluster using instructions elsewhere on the forum, but can't get the back off. I've removed the needles and the bezel. It's almost apart with a gap of about 5 mm all round. Can't see what's holding it. Does anyone know?
Old 26th January 2020, 14:50   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fawcett View Post
Follow up to my earlier post. I discovered that the indicators are working (outside), but not on the dashboard. An auto electrician diagnosed a problem in the communication between the light Control Module and the instrument cluster. The unit that causes the indicator clicks is also not working.
I've removed the cluster using instructions elsewhere on the forum, but can't get the back off. I've removed the needles and the bezel. It's almost apart with a gap of about 5 mm all round. Can't see what's holding it. Does anyone know?
It's not the IPK, the fault is more likely to lie within the LSM, or more to the point, it is a K-Bus communication fault

There are four clips around each of the sockets on the IPK back housing, but you won't find anything wrong inside.

I'm assuming you have a diesel, and not a 2 litre V6, if so, then start by unplugging the FBH and check again to see if the tell tales are restored on the IPK.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 15:24   #4
Simon Fawcett

Default Direction Indicators not working

Thank you Brian for your response.
Forgive my ignorance - what is the FBH?
I've checked every related fuse in the passenger and the engine fuse box - all seemed ok

Simon
Old 26th January 2020, 15:32   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

FBH = Fuel Burning Heater - only on the M47 Diesel engine - warms the car up on cold mornings before you get in

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 15:37   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fawcett View Post
Thank you Brian for your response.
Forgive my ignorance - what is the FBH?
I've checked every related fuse in the passenger and the engine fuse box - all seemed ok

Simon
Hi Simon, it is the gadget located in front of the battery box in this picture......

If fitted, both connectors should be unplugged to see if it is causing the fault ;0

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 16:05   #7
Simon Fawcett

Default Direction Indicators not working

Genius! This is remarkable. Thank you for this help. I have no idea how you knew this, but I removed both FBH plugs and functionality was restored. Go to the top of the class!

I had noticed some strange noises coming from the FBH recently, but had no idea it would affect the indicators!

Now I've just got to put the IPK back together again!
Simon