Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > All Other Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2008, 15:22   #1
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts
Default Aftermarket SatNav in Dash

I am thinking of a way to fix my after market sat nav into my dash, but dont know if its possible so need you ICE experts to either give me some encouragement or shoot me down in flames.
I am toying with the idea of moving my stereo into the glove box, as it has an i pod adapter and i have almost full control from the steering wheel anyway. This will then leave the space free for me to attempt a satnav fit.
I have a Garmin Nuvi satnav which is 5 x 3 inch in size with the screen 4 x 2 1/4.
It will obviously not fit into the Iovox which i have and is designed for stereos, nor will it fit in the double din as i guess the "hole " in those is too big. Can someone who has a double din give me the measurements please ?
Can anyone tell me what size the " hole " is for the TV in the Rover
fascia designed for TV/Satnav etc - would there be any chance of mounting my sat nav behind instead of the TV screen ?
I maybe left with having to get something made for the job which is the stumbling block at the minute unless someone out there has some other ideas ?

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 16:03   #2
ikorodu
Loves to post

Rover 75 Facelift Conn SE Tourer CDTi Manual

I once had the tought of using the ashtray as a hide for a sat nave device, naturally you would need a device with a separate GPS aerial. I thought it would look cool to still have the existing cover for the ash tray but pushing it would reveal a sat nav screen. Not sure how possible or user friendly this would be?

Another option would be this sort of single din unit. I have a more basic version which I does the job fine.

Rob
ikorodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 16:22   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Not quite in the dash I know, but this is what I did

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=13812

post#5

IMO it looks less like aftermarket than most, and it's easily switched to another car - I've even had it in the JZR.
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:22   #4
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

The double din opening is 175 mm X 100 mm.

I think you will find it very hard to get a neat looking fit, Rob. Your best bet may be to modify one of those off centre fascia adaptors as others have done.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:18   #5
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
The double din opening is 175 mm X 100 mm.

I think you will find it very hard to get a neat looking fit, Rob. Your best bet may be to modify one of those off centre fascia adaptors as others have done.
Thanks for the replies guys, I actually bought an off centre one off e bay and tried to modify but not happy with how it looked as had to fill in the blanks either side of the satnav and the whole fascia would then need covering. I actually got a blank piece off the walnut dash company to hide everything but the satnav screen but it did not fit on to give a smooth finish so back to square 1 and now need a plan B.

Robs Car Gallery

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 15th May 2008 at 06:43..
Old 14th May 2008, 19:20   #6
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Rob

Have you considered a combi HU / sat nav like mine?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...231&highlight=

I think it looks reasonably OEM.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:28   #7
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Rob

Have you considered a combi HU / sat nav like mine?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...231&highlight=

I think it looks reasonably OEM.
only the cost is holding me back on that one as i think yours look superb, but i have other things on my shoppping list such as a synergie and private plate so was trying to do a mod using my existing bought and paid for satnav.

Robs Car Gallery

Old 14th May 2008, 19:44   #8
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
only the cost is holding me back on that one as i think yours look superb, but i have other things on my shoppping list such as a synergie and private plate so was trying to do a mod using my existing bought and paid for satnav.
Yes, I understand Rob, but there are a lot cheaper units availble for example the Eclipse that I had prior to the Pioneer.

Anyway, if you ever do go that way, let me know if I can help.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 06:44   #9
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Yes, I understand Rob, but there are a lot cheaper units availble for example the Eclipse that I had prior to the Pioneer.

Anyway, if you ever do go that way, let me know if I can help.
Thanks Paul, I intend to have a good look at the cheaper units so may call on that help !

Robs Car Gallery

Old 15th May 2008, 13:09   #10
MikeC

Rover 75 Saloon

My solution would work for any size sat nav:

One cheap aftermarket adaptor (single din). Use this to mark outer profile exactly on cartridge or lining paper and cut out outer shape using scissors

Use framesaw to cut central hole in adaptor roughly to size and mount unit behind in adaptor in car

Overlay cartridge paper. Use brass-rubbing (like I did) or wallpaper technique (diagonal cut with Stanley knife) to cut central hole ACCURATELY.

Use cartridge paper to accurately mark and cut aluminium sheet (0.5mm) to required shape. Outer profile can be cut using wifes best dressmaking scissors (important safety note: wait until wife has gone for weekly shop first). Inner hole is best cut with a Stanley knife.

Glue Al sheet over fascia and bingo - one accurate fascia with the hole in the right place and right size.

Then glue oversize sheet of walnut veneer over aluminium, trim with scalpel and then finish sheet per usual technique. I think that Al sheet is easier to fix over than using plastic padding to fill the unwanted hole

Results per my pics on Raistlins thread.

Sorry I mean Alex's thread upon which Raistlin commented - wish I knew how to add hyperlinks!

Last edited by MikeC; 15th May 2008 at 13:14.. Reason: last sentence incorrect
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote