Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th April 2014, 09:18   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Recommend me a replacement for Kenwood KRC-394

This is something I've been thinking about for a while and finally getting round to.

While I'm satisfied with the sound quality from the standard Kenwood KRC-394, I'm thinking of changing it because:
  • I don't like the up-down volume buttons, prefer a rotary switch and push on/push off.
  • I'd like to be able stream audio wirelessly using bluetooth from my iPhone.
  • I'd like to be able to make/answer calls using the parrot function.
Having thought about it for a while I've changed my list of requirements.
Features I'm looking for:
  • Must work with the existing IR steering wheel controls (critical).
  • Have USB/SD card slot for MP3 files (front or rear)
  • Have iPhone bluetooth audio control
  • Have parrot-type call answering.
  • Be an improvement sound quality wise.
  • Be simple to install.
  • Would be nice to retain use of the CD changer in the boot, but I know that realistically may not be an option with some of the newer features.
Budget isn't going to stretch to one of Radioguys DD units (sadly), probably looking at the second hand market to be honest.

No mad rush on this one and happy to listen to your suggestions. Thanks
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 11:02   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
This is something I've been thinking about for a while and finally getting round to.

While I'm satisfied with the sound quality from the standard Kenwood KRC-394, I'm thinking of changing it because:
  • I don't like the up-down volume buttons, prefer a rotary switch and push on/push off.
  • I'd like to be able stream audio wirelessly using bluetooth from my iPhone.
  • I'd like to be able to make/answer calls using the parrot function.
Having thought about it for a while I've changed my list of requirements.
Features I'm looking for:
  • Must work with the existing IR steering wheel controls (critical).
  • Have USB/SD card slot for MP3 files (front or rear)
  • Have iPhone bluetooth audio control
  • Have parrot-type call answering.
  • Be an improvement sound quality wise.
  • Be simple to install.
  • Would be nice to retain use of the CD changer in the boot, but I know that realistically may not be an option with some of the newer features.
Budget isn't going to stretch to one of Radioguys DD units (sadly), probably looking at the second hand market to be honest.

No mad rush on this one and happy to listen to your suggestions. Thanks
Hi Adrian,

Don't discount Sean's double din units as there is a healthy market for the used versions ( Mgr WinCe ) as members have traded them in for the android versions.
If you give Sean a Pm he will be able to let you know prices and availability on these units.

Just one thing, unless you purchase a Kenwood head unit with infra red remote capabilities you will have to modify the steering wheel control box behind the head unit to enable functionality with Radioguys units.
This is very simple to do and we will talk you through it if you decide to purchase one of his units.

Just for clarification, this only needs to be done when the oem unit is a Kenwood radio as they are the only units from the factory that worked on infra red signals.
All other oem radios use hard wired steering controls
Old 29th April 2014, 11:28   #3
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Thanks Jeff - that clears things up a little re the IR steering wheel controls.

While a DD unit would be great, realistically I know I won't watch TV/DVDs and already have a separate satnav, so the extra cost over a single DIN unit (even second hand) would be difficult to justify. Assuming that is I can find a single DIN unit to meet my requirements.
Old 30th April 2014, 05:52   #4
Last14
Loves to post

ZT 190 / 75 Club SE 2.5 x2 / 75 Connie 2.5

BigAde, may not be a realistic idea, but as per my thread below, i've now a redundent single din unit and 6 disc stacker that i was going to put up for sale at some point (fascia not avail atm). Both in working order. The postage to UK might be the killer (no idea), but i can find out if interested. Unit worked fine with my steering controls. Cheers.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=181680
Old 30th April 2014, 12:45   #5
Colly
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Tourer

I bought a JVC KD-R741BT for mine. Had to buy a single fascia and adapter from e-bay but only cost £100 all in. Easy to install. Full phone controls on the unit (comes with a seperate mike - mine is wired to the interior light), great quality sound also. I stream music from my phone so dont use the CD, jack or usb ports. Looked at the radioguy units but couldnt justify the cost for the extra features; cant ever see a need to watch DVd's in the car or use apps that are on the phone anyway.
With the difference in cost I put on a new set of tyres, did a full service and still had change!
Colly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 14:45   #6
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last14 View Post
BigAde, may not be a realistic idea, but as per my thread below, i've now a redundent single din unit and 6 disc stacker that i was going to put up for sale at some point (fascia not avail atm). Both in working order. The postage to UK might be the killer (no idea), but i can find out if interested. Unit worked fine with my steering controls. Cheers.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=181680
Thanks Last14 - think the postage would indeed by a killer on that one. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 30th April 2014, 14:47   #7
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly View Post
I bought a JVC KD-R741BT for mine. Had to buy a single fascia and adapter from e-bay but only cost £100 all in. Easy to install. Full phone controls on the unit (comes with a seperate mike - mine is wired to the interior light), great quality sound also. I stream music from my phone so dont use the CD, jack or usb ports. Looked at the radioguy units but couldnt justify the cost for the extra features; cant ever see a need to watch DVd's in the car or use apps that are on the phone anyway.
With the difference in cost I put on a new set of tyres, did a full service and still had change!
Thanks Colly - thanks will add that one to the checklist. What did you have before? Did you replace a Kenwood unit for the JVC, if so any comments on sound quality?
Old 1st May 2014, 08:56   #8
Colly
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Thanks Colly - thanks will add that one to the checklist. What did you have before? Did you replace a Kenwood unit for the JVC, if so any comments on sound quality?
I had the standard one with the cassette - Harmony? I like my music and was going to upgrade with another amp and speakers as I have done in the past with my cars. However, I think this is good enough not to worry about any further upgrades. Really pleased with the quality. didnt bother with the steering wheel controls though - needs another lead.
Colly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 09:49   #9
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Interestingly enough I asked the same question to Kenwood to see what they would recommend, this was their response:

"To use your existing infra-red remote, you can use either KDC-BT92SD, KDC-BT73DAB or KDC-BT48DAB
These models have infra-red sensors, but you may need to alter the position of the infra-red transmitter (located above the stereo location) because the infra-red sensor on the front panel of these models may be in a different position from your existing stereo. Additionally, the front panels may be thicker than your existing model, so you may need to bring the infra-red transmitter forward.
Unfortunately this can only be done via trial and error.

The other option is to abandon the use of the infra-red transmitter and go for a hard-wired steering control interface such as:
CAW-RL2001 with either CAW-MG2033 (ISO) or CAW-MG2034 (BMW)

All of our BT models have facility to connect to the hard-wired adapters
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/bluetooth/

BT models that stream music as well as hands-free calling are:
KDC-BT92SD
KDC-BT73DAB
KDC-BT48DAB
KDC-BT44U
KDC-BT34U"
Old 1st May 2014, 13:36   #10
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Went into a car radio shop to see what they'd recommend.
They were suggesting that no matter what head unit I bought, I would definitely need an adapter cable (at £35) for the steering wheel controls to work.

But Kenwood seem to suggest that the 3 models they list will work with my existing controls.

Assuming Kenwood are right, I have no need for DAB so that leaves the BT-92SD which at £150 is a little beyond my budget.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kdc-bt92sd
Still, I can keep an eye out on the second-hand market and see what comes up.