Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th March 2013, 10:14   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default Adding a freeview receiver to double din

This is a small guide on how to wire a freeview receiver (dvb) to the double din radios.

This is a quick and easy way for installation, if you are more capable then I would suggest hard wiring the dvb power cables independantly of the double dins wiring.

This guide uses scotch locks ( I know, what a lot of people think of those but they can be used if care is taken, if you have a soldering iron and can solder well please do so

There are two different dvb receivers that Sean (Radioguy) supplies so make a note of which one you have.

Don't worry if its neither of these as the guide is applicable to any 12 volt dvb receiver

O.k this is the quick and easy way to connect the power to the receivers.
It is by no means the only way but should be easy for those not confident in electrical wiring

At the back of your double din head unit you will find the iso connections usually one is brown and one black.

I have highlighted the three wires you need to connect the dvb too.
I have shown the red, yellow and black wires from the head unit.
I suggest you tap into the corrosponding wires on the car loom NOT the head unit.
If your dvb unit only has red and black wires then wire up the same minus the yellow cable.

The Red wire shown here is the switched live (ignition power wire)

The Yellow wire shown here is the permenant live (power from battery)

The Black wire shown here is the ground or earth wire

If you follow these wires into the car side of the plug you will see they are the same colours, this is the side I suggest you tap into.

O.k, these are the connectors you will need, known as scotch locks or tap in connectors.
These are available from any good Motor Factors or Electrical shop

They come in different colours which denotes the cable size they are suitable for.
You will need the red ones for our size of wiring

The next procedure needs to be done for all three wires one after the other.
You will need to open the connector up and push over the original car wire ' Do not cut any insulation back on either the car wire or the wire from the dvb'
Then put the dvb wire into the connection, this does not need to come out the other side.

When this is done you need to crimp/splice the wires with a pair of pliers.

Squeeze the pliers down on the metal bridge this should bite into the insulation of both wires making a connection.

Then you need to snap the cover over the top.

Repeat this procedure for the yellow and black wires.

That's it, you can now switch your ignition on and you should have power to your dvb unit.

You now have to connect the aerials and find a location to mount the dvb and run the remote sensor.
Finally you need to plug the yellow, red and white phono plugs into the double din here...

I will add photo's on aerial placement etc later.

Be aware that if you can wire the cables direct to the battery and ignition this is still the best way to do this.

Please be aware you do this wiring at your own risk and I accept no liability in respect of any information contained in this help thread

Last edited by coolcat; 19th March 2013 at 13:50..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 14:00   #2
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Thanks for the guide, now if only the camera and DVB would turn up I could get on with installing them.........

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 14:05   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadomobile View Post
Thanks for the guide, now if only the camera and DVB would turn up I could get on with installing them.........
Can't help you with that one
Old 19th March 2013, 18:17   #4
rasa
Gets stuck in

bmw 335d e92se and 330d sport e90

Default aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Can't help you with that one
as title, the aerial has naked wires when will you be postting the pics for this,cheers for all the help
Old 19th March 2013, 19:23   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
as title, the aerial has naked wires when will you be postting the pics for this,cheers for all the help
If the aerial is a powered aerial ( black and red cables as well as the aerial lead ) then you can scotch lock the red and black wires to the same as above
Old 19th March 2013, 21:21   #6
rasa
Gets stuck in

Default same wires

Quote:
If the aerial is a powered aerial ( black and red cables as well as the aerial lead ) then you can scotch lock the red and black wires to the same as above
so i just put these wires onto the same wires as the dvb-t were scotch locked to, will it be ok in the same place
Old 19th March 2013, 22:07   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
so i just put these wires onto the same wires as the dvb-t were scotch locked to, will it be ok in the same place
I would suggest using another set of scotch locks further down the cable as trying to squeeze three wires into one lock would probably compromise the connection
Old 20th March 2013, 07:05   #8
rasa
Gets stuck in

Default thats what i meant

Quote:
I would suggest using another set of scotch locks further down the cable as trying to squeeze three wires into one lock would probably compromise the connection
sorry if i was not clear, thats what i meant, just ordered 10 cilps, i could not get any local, i have done some research and the clips do get some bad reviews, if the clips are not used how do you actually join the wires as if i snip the loom wire then join it to the dv wire there will be a loose end from the loom, or am i missing the label as they say
Old 20th March 2013, 07:56   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
sorry if i was not clear, thats what i meant, just ordered 10 cilps, i could not get any local, i have done some research and the clips do get some bad reviews, if the clips are not used how do you actually join the wires as if i snip the loom wire then join it to the dv wire there will be a loose end from the loom, or am i missing the label as they say
They get bad reviews mainly due to peeps not crimping them up tight or worse than that cutting back the insulation which then means they don't make a good connection.
However, the best option always is to solder the connections and sleeve them with heat shrink
Not for the faint hearted wielding a soldering iron near that lovely dashboard with the worry of solder splash on carpets or seats
If your not good at soldering stick to the scotch
locks or failing that you could use bullet or spade crimps or terminal strip.
The aim is the same which ever you choose.
Please make sure that all live connections are adequately insulated when your connections are made to avoid risk of any live wires shorting to an earth 'such as the case of your double din' .
Old 20th March 2013, 09:35   #10
rasa
Gets stuck in

Quote:
They get bad reviews mainly due to peeps not crimping them up tight or worse than that cutting back the insulation which then means they don't make a good connection.
However, the best option always is to solder the connections and sleeve them with heat shrink
Not for the faint hearted wielding a soldering iron near that lovely dashboard with the worry of solder splash on carpets or seats
If your not good at soldering stick to the scotch
locks or failing that you could use bullet or spade crimps or terminal strip.
The aim is the same which ever you choose.
Please make sure that all live connections are adequately insulated when your connections are made to avoid risk of any live wires shorting to an earth 'such as the case of your double din' .
so after the scotch clips are applied should i wrap in insulation tape.