Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th May 2020, 09:58   #1
Frogmella
Loves to post

2003 (03) Pre-Facelift 1.8 Club SE Auto Petrol Non Turbo Saloon

Default What is the brake fluid capacity?

Can anyone tell me the total brake fluid capacity of a Rover 75 1800cc?

It looks like I will need to bleed the whole system at least twice to cure my sinking pedal syndrome. I want to know how much fluid to buy.

Thnaks in advance.
Frogmella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 10:19   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

1 litre to fill from dry, however if you have SPS, it is likely there is air in the secondary circuit of the ABS modulator.

This requires a primary and secondary bleed using T4 to satisfactorily resolve I'm afraid.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 13:35   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmella View Post
- - - - to cure my sinking pedal syndrome.
It's an interesting and important topic, so don't forget to update on this after you're done.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 15:47   #4
Frogmella
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It's an interesting and important topic, so don't forget to update on this after you're done.

TC

I read your post from 2016 on this topic. The discussion was quite lively.

It will be a little while. Despite all my lockdown work I still have a long list of jobs to do, including renewing all the brake pipes and hoses (after Brian persuaded me to invest in a Flaremaster), before I get to fully bleed the system.

I will certainly report back in due course.
Old 19th May 2020, 18:23   #5
Frogmella
Loves to post

Is there no aftermarket diagnostic tool that can do this job? My nearest T4 garage is too far away for my liking.

Does anyone have access to the computer program code for the T4?

Surely we could reverse engineer it onto a micro-controller even if only to do the brake bleed. Nobody is going to sue us.

Has this been tried already?
Old 19th May 2020, 19:30   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Is there no aftermarket diagnostic tool that can do this job? My nearest T4 garage is too far away for my liking.

Does anyone have access to the computer program code for the T4?

Surely we could reverse engineer it onto a micro-controller even if only to do the brake bleed. Nobody is going to sue us.

Has this been tried already?
Drove past your door yesterday too........twice......

Why not give John a shout, Rogerheinz57 and see if he'd be prepared to have a run over once you've done your brake pipes, or perhaps have a ride over to see him

I'm sure there will be aftermarket tools that may be capable of doing the job, but they will be prohibitively expensive.

Brian
Old 20th May 2020, 13:15   #7
Frogmella
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Drove past your door yesterday too........twice......

Why not give John a shout, Rogerheinz57 and see if he'd be prepared to have a run over once you've done your brake pipes, or perhaps have a ride over to see him

I'm sure there will be aftermarket tools that may be capable of doing the job, but they will be prohibitively expensive.

Brian

Are you serious, you came up and down my cul-de-sac and didn't knock on the door? Probably just as well, we're on the "highly vulnerable" list and are under house arrest until the end of June at least.

I'm still trying to work out whether to drop the fuel tank (it's nearly half full) and try and make single-piece brake pipes as nice as yours (unlikely because I've never before made a brake pipe in my life), or to follow Simon's (SD1too) how-to and just do from the bulkhead to the tank. Still waiting for the Kunifer to arrive.
Old 20th May 2020, 16:38   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Are you serious, you came up and down my cul-de-sac and didn't knock on the door? Probably just as well, we're on the "highly vulnerable" list and are under house arrest until the end of June at least.

I'm still trying to work out whether to drop the fuel tank (it's nearly half full) and try and make single-piece brake pipes as nice as yours (unlikely because I've never before made a brake pipe in my life), or to follow Simon's (SD1too) how-to and just do from the bulkhead to the tank. Still waiting for the Kunifer to arrive.
The pipe if it's ropey under the car, it will be ropey where it traverses the chassis leg aft of the fuel tank at the rear flexi connection.

Simon is correct, the part of the pipe where it runs above the tank will be in good condition, but I've never encountered a car requiring front to rears, where the part at the back isn't clapped out too

My experience tells me the method Simon is advocating is poor practice, so now is the time to do the job properly.

If the car is currently roadworthy, take it for a spin to use up some fuel, or pump it into suitable containers, you will be no more at risk in your car than at home

Brian