Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2018, 13:10   #11
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
don't tell me that, I'm going to look at a tourer tomorrow

macafee2
The real scummy fees only apply to new cars from April onwards. Our old timers will be largely unaffected.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
Old 12th March 2018, 13:12   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Steve. I agree with your sentiments about the ‘charge for your excise’. The way the roads are at the moment, you won’t be able to use them soon. I have reported 8 potholes where I live. I was actually washing my car when they came and repaired? The 8 inches deep (I measured it) pothole just past my abode. Repaired? What a joke. Two men .One lorry. Pile of tarmac on the back. Shovel, rake, three shovel’s of tarmac into hole, wacker plate off the back, drop of water onto tarmac and wacker plated for 15 seconds. It was such a bad job, I went out and took a photo for reference later ( like when I show the councillor tomorrow night). The hole is now coming back as big as ever. I want to find out how much it cost to ‘repair’ the pothole. My guess is around £70/90. Typical of the waste that is being spent on useless highway maintenance. Repair was around 3 weeks ago. The other potholes I reported were filled in and they are going back to how they were. I am thinking of getting to repair this pothole, some of the cold tarmac that you can use, and filling in the hole myself and charging the council for it. Watch this space.
Old 12th March 2018, 13:43   #13
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
The hole is now coming back as big as ever. I want to find out how much it cost to ‘repair’ the pothole. My guess is around £70/90.
The correct way to do it is similar to how a dentist repairs a tooth. The pothole needs to be back cut to a wedge shape, then thoroughly cleaned and then filled. It's water getting in around the joint that causes repeat failures.
Old 12th March 2018, 13:50   #14
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
don't tell me that, I'm going to look at a tourer tomorrow

macafee2
Are you coming up to look at mine for sale then

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 14:41   #15
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Not all diesels are "dirty" ......

lad next door just bought a year old A180 diesel Merc and its an mind blowing £30 a year .....
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 15:12   #16
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Steve. I agree with your sentiments about the ‘charge for your excise’. The way the roads are at the moment, you won’t be able to use them soon. I have reported 8 potholes where I live. I was actually washing my car when they came and repaired? The 8 inches deep (I measured it) pothole just past my abode. Repaired? What a joke. Two men .One lorry. Pile of tarmac on the back. Shovel, rake, three shovel’s of tarmac into hole, wacker plate off the back, drop of water onto tarmac and wacker plated for 15 seconds. It was such a bad job, I went out and took a photo for reference later ( like when I show the councillor tomorrow night). The hole is now coming back as big as ever. I want to find out how much it cost to ‘repair’ the pothole. My guess is around £70/90. Typical of the waste that is being spent on useless highway maintenance. Repair was around 3 weeks ago. The other potholes I reported were filled in and they are going back to how they were. I am thinking of getting to repair this pothole, some of the cold tarmac that you can use, and filling in the hole myself and charging the council for it. Watch this space.

I appreciate your sentiments and as a councillor myself I get fed up to the back teeth of requesting that potholes get filled in .. often the same ones over and over because of the quick inadequate repairs that you highlight.

However without wishing to get all 'elf and safety' I would advise against doing any repairs to council property or areas of responsibility as you could well find yourself liable for any future 'incident' on the area affected.

However understandable and tempting it might be to do what you consider to be a better job than the council yourself.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 16:49   #17
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Stoppa yer moaning youz oil burners.

Unlike those "unclean" compression ignition devices which are so very good for both our well being and the environment ( according to the EU but not so much lately ), my fuel sipping "mighty" polluting 1.8Ts are charged close to £300 pa for that most unfair VED imbalance.

The Nation needs more taxes from us Money Trees to further fund the already massively funded organs according to those we entrust to the Nation's well being.

I expect prices for all VED with be raised by at least a tenner each. Possibly more than that. I sincerely hope I am wrong but, not often am. Budgets early into any new Government soon after a General Election, are rarely good news. Peanuts,my disco4 costs me £520pa!
Stand by for some doom and gloom...Twas always thus...You heard it here last..

Last edited by 3disco; 12th March 2018 at 16:53.. Reason: No message
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 17:42   #18
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

£520 to tax my 2.5 ZT-T at the moment.

I've got it on SORN, back on the road 1st April.

Looking on here:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ut-uk-road-tax

My car was first registered on 28 Feb 07 so doesn't benefit from the Band K rate which applies to cars that were registered before 23 March 2006 and have an emissions figure over 225g/km (such as our KV6 2.5's).

Somewhat confusing as the table on the link above for older cars suggests the rate for Band L is £500...either Autoexpress have used out-of-date info or the rate I'll be paying is going down again to £500.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 18:01   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The road where I live was built for light local traffic. As I have lived in the same are all my life, I remember our road was laid out roughly before the last war, no, not ww1. This used to be country where we played. Built up during the 1950s. It is now used as a rat run by people who do not want to use the main road on the way to work and back. Also double decker buses, not complaining about a bus service but, single decker buses would be more than adequate, as is proven by private company that appears to carry more than the main company. You can tell how much room there is when two buses meet in the road, one has to pull over and stop at the bottom of the grove opposite, for the other to get past. It’s about time we all got together and forced the government and local councils to do the job they are supposed to do, maintain the roads. Problem is people’s only comment when you mention it is, ‘weeell, what can we do’ . What we need is another war to concentrate their minds. Rant over.
Old 12th March 2018, 19:20   #20
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Old diesels should be/are cheap as chips, 'cos so many are scared of what the government are going to do in the way of tax. But as these engines are so reliable and frugal, they'll have to do something drastic to make me look elsewhere. And I'm not concerned about the pollution aspect where I live - the air here gets washed almost every day!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote