Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th March 2020, 14:31   #10941
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Has anyone else tried carbon cleaning?

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/what-is...rbon-cleaning/

I’m not a fan.. worked on a few diesels that had injector and hp pump issues within a few weeks of having this done?

Maybe a coincidence but the dieeel plods along for mega miles without having it done.
Old 13th March 2020, 14:53   #10942
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I’m not a fan.. worked on a few diesels that had injector and hp pump issues within a few weeks of having this done?

Maybe a coincidence but the dieeel plods along for mega miles without having it done.
I just wondered if it would improve a KV6 - or knobble it.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2020, 15:17   #10943
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy24601 View Post
Having read all the excellent advice posted here I decided to give this a go. Started with the front plugs just so I knew that I had all the right tools. What soon became apparent was that the socket extension bars soon parted company with the spark plug socket, leaving it stuck down the spark plug hole. I then taped the spark plug socket to the extension arm using electrical tape - flexibility maintained but the socket stayed attached to the extension bar.
BUT; I had used two extension bars and so then the second one detached itself, leaving spark plug socket plus short extension bar stuck down hole - so I taped the whole lot together and voila - success!
As to the rear plugs: access is reasonable as long as you remove the relevant sound proofing, panel and the bonnet scuttle. Once that lot is gone, you can see down to the individual coil packs and undo each in turn. Obviously any heavy-handed monkey-mechanics will soon strip out the delicate 8mm bolt that retains the coil pack (ask me how I know) and all the new plugs need gently starting off by hand to avoid stripping thread - overall, nowhere near as difficult as I thought it was going to be (but perhaps I was just lucky )
Little tip for next time you change plugs:- get a piece of thin rubber tubing that will fit over the end of the plug to be inserted back in the engine. Turn the tubing when you find the thread for the plug and if the plug starts to go tight, from not entering the thread straight, you will not crossthread your plug hole. Not really my tip, but from Haynes.
Old 13th March 2020, 16:58   #10944
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Replacement gearbox pan arrived from mickyboy last night (thanks mate!) and promptly had the rust scabs/paint bubbles wirewheeled back to bare metal, removing all rust and treated to two coats of Bona Rust Primer.

Today's task was to get two coats of Manor Chassis black onto the repair areas. The whole pan will then get another coat, before a final layer of stonechip paint.

Overkill? Maybe, but after becoming apparently the first person in the world to suffer an automatic gearbox leak due to rust, I'm not taking chances!

Oh, and then I treated the old girl to a wash as an apology for taking her down some very narrow country lanes when the A590 was shut yesterday.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2020, 19:03   #10945
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I just wondered if it would improve a KV6 - or knobble it.
Not sure TBH, I don't know of anyone having a petrol one cleaned?
Old 13th March 2020, 20:42   #10946
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Oil Change 6 month

I did my 6 monthly oil change today including the oil filter, it was nice and dry then just as I let out the oil the heavens opened up, then some hail, so in between the showers i put together three inline stats ready for the Nano meet in March.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2020, 21:19   #10947
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Steve. Seems like what happened to me changing the oil and filter the day before the mot. Just started and the rain came. Well it had to be done. Keep saying I will get myself some ramps.
Old 13th March 2020, 21:37   #10948
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Steve. Seems like what happened to me changing the oil and filter the day before the mot. Just started and the rain came. Well it had to be done. Keep saying I will get myself some ramps.
Your not a true car nut unless you have been rained on, snowed on, had engine oil in places you shouldn't have, swore at the car.. cursed it.. then said 'thank you' when it all worked well
Old 13th March 2020, 21:42   #10949
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Your not a true car nut unless you have been rained on, snowed on, had engine oil in places you shouldn't have, swore at the car.. cursed it.. then said 'thank you' when it all worked well
That would be me then! You forgot the aches and pains in places where you didn't know you had body parts! They may have been frozen at the time!
Old 13th March 2020, 21:54   #10950
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
That would be me then! You forgot the aches and pains in places where you didn't know you had body parts! They may have been frozen at the time!
I ache the following day after every job on our cars, that comes from being an old arthritic beggar.

I will never forget one Christmas eve, on a roadside in Durham marinabrian and I changing an ecu on a diesel for a local guy who had broken down, both of us ended up with manflu over the Christmas hols due to being snowed on and frozen stiff!

Ahhh good times