Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2020, 19:59   #31
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default What if.

The UK is a strong economy, it's also true of Germany, they have a great manufacturing base. The biggest part of Europe's economy's are based on tourism, what's going to happen to those places that rely on tourism? I'm booked for Greece in July but I'm thinking it might not happen just now, we'll have to wait and see how this goes.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 19:14   #32
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

I had 4 weeks in total booked for me, the missus and the tin tent in June - i think that's gone by the board already. Caravan sites with communal facilities don't seem to be the best places to avoid a virus.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 19:34   #33
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Got word today my site isn't even opening for the foreseeable future. No mention of the almost £1900 site rent they had last month though...*sighs*
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 20:18   #34
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts
Question

Moving on a bit from our Orlando holiday nightmare...So far our Florida parks tickets have been extended to 2021, rental car is being transferred to later date, looks like I can move the villa dates, car parking moving to later, UK hotel being moved, just the USA 1 night hotel, and waiting to get the flight cancellation before booking/ moving it all to October

Give me something to do whilst self isolating

Well being old/ vulnerable and with underlying health issues
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 17th March 2020 at 20:42..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 21:33   #35
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I was due to compete in "The Lands End Trial" next month, however there has been this put onto the Motorsport UK site, so it looks like it's over for this year !

Motorsport UK COVID-19 Update
Tuesday 17 March 2020

It is with regret that Motorsport UK is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information.

As the National Governing Body, we would ask all Motorsport UK members to act responsibly and follow the Government’s guidance during this difficult time.

We thank all of our members, organisers, officials, volunteers, staff and their families for their support during these unprecedented times. We will continue to monitor the situation and will resume sporting activity as soon as we are able. We also have a responsibility and duty of care to our staff who will be working from home, so please be patient with any queries you may have.

David Richards, chairman of Motorsport UK, explained, “Clearly we live in challenging times and exceptional measures are required. The decision to suspend Motorsport UK permits on a temporary basis is not one that was taken lightly as the industry employs many thousands of people. However we have an over-riding responsibility to our members and the friends and families of our community. Furthermore, our social responsibilities extend to the broader population and the potential drain on valuable public health resources on which we are all reliant.

“The situation is very fluid and we will continue to monitor developments over the coming weeks and hope that we can resume the annual motorsport calendar at the opportune moment. In the immediate short term our efforts need to be focused on ensuring that the industry that backs up the sport has the financial support that it requires from the Government in order that it can be sustained beyond this extraordinary scenario.”
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 21:40   #36
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default IWM Duxford

Just had an email from Duxford and my jaunt to the May Airshow is off. Cancelled and will be refunded but will take time. Museum now closed until further notice. Good thing is they are honouring staff contracts and sub contractors too.

Have a feeling my jaunt to Flying Legends there in July will be off too

Keep safe everyone

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 23:15   #37
75 tinkerer
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

We took the Snow Train and arrived very early on Saturday in Meribel. So we managed one day on skiis, a very good day. Two of the group hadn't turned up, one has a sick wife and the other a neurotic wife, leaving four of us.
But one of the group had driven from Brussels so we had a quiet word and he ran us back to his house.

The Police had turned up at the hotel on Saturday morning with an edict from Macron, so to emphasise the point the staff piled all the lounge furniture up in the corner and started removing the bottles from the bar.

We still don't know how the tour company intended to get us home but there was a rumour of buses from UK. I hope they're not looking for us.

I've been keeping an eye on the share prices, Shell seems popular with the private investors.....

The trip to Italy will be off I think.

I was talking to my Solicitor a month or two ago and said that Cath and I are both interested in holidays. She's interested in going on them and I'm interested in avoiding them (except skiing). 'Just like your Dad' he said, Dad used to refer to holidays as like the Sword of Damocles.

Pete
75 tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 07:05   #38
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Many european holiday destinations open May to October, so a short earning season. How they will survive through next winter, I don't know.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:55   #39
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Many european holiday destinations open May to October, so a short earning season. How they will survive through next winter, I don't know.
Sadly, they won't! and nor will countless others. Dire times ahead for thousands in business, self employed and those on zero hours (stuff you) contracts.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 09:27   #40
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Not sure if this applies across the board, but I paid the balance of a cottage rental (in Cornwall) last weekend - the holiday was due on 9th May so I guessed it was a non-starter. Having paid over the phone the operator said it was lucky that I paid the balance or I would have lost the deposit (40%) and also that I had taken out insurance before Covid-19 surfaced. I paid it in September 2019. So, those who have balance to pay take advice and check if you booked before November as this appears to be the cut-off point.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote