Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th March 2020, 15:38   #11061
mirage110
Regular poster

mg zt diesel, mg ztt 190se

Default recommisioning mgzt diesel

Well now ive got a bit of time on my hands ive decided to get the old oil burner back on her majestys finest highways!

list of jobs done..
finally managed to open stuck bonnet, 2 hours of fiddling around under wheel arch, a job i never want to do again EVER!!

cleaned the interior as 75% was covered in mould from a leak in the boot, i havent opened the mg for 9 months and it really was in a terrible state, found the culprit leaking from the side trim some silicone sealant hopefully has done the trick?.

removed battery for a charge, and also the battery box as i suspect the under bonnet diesel pump to have failed as it was hit or miss if the mg would start or not sometimes it would sometimes it wouldnt, then one day wouldnt start at all, and refused all attempts there after?

list of jobs to do

sort out bonnet issue, did change the single cable before it got stuck, then within a week it got harder and harder to open, so it might need the other 2 cables, and or some fiddling?

change the under bonnet pump ordered and awaiting delivery.

prepare for mot, only done 2000 miles since the last one possible 2 rear tyres. i did notice she was smoking on acceleration when last used so some more investigation required??

and i think thats about it, enjoying the time i never get to mess around with my fleet..
mirage110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2020, 16:05   #11062
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Loads of life in that still Billy

Bean tins are in short supply at the minute but big metal cable ties are available!
Old 29th March 2020, 16:09   #11063
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
Washed and waxed the 260 - sparkles like a new pin. Would put a picture on here but don't know how.

Me too - -washed, claybar, resin polish and extra gloss protection.
Easier job these days with micro-fibre cloths.

chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2020, 17:47   #11064
malagas
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDT Club, Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Contemporary

The gps drive did not recognize any CD's. So I removed it and disassembled it all to make the diagnosis.Iit was then that I noticed that the laser head was covered with dust, therefore blind ...
I then did a general cleaning with isopropanol and it is working again as a treat. I know that the maps I have are old, practically useless, but it annoyed me that there was something that didn't work as it should
Old 31st March 2020, 11:10   #11065
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Fitted the newly arrived OS/F TRW track control arm, along with a new old stock Unipart rear bush.

What a pig the centre ball joint was to separate from the taper, after heating with a blowtorch for 30 minutes, it still wasn't budging, so with my glamourous assistant lending a foot to the four foot bar, and the combination of that, and the repeated clattering from a lump hammer, the fifteen year hold on the taper was finally at an end.

So after a clean up of the subframe, a judicious application of KY to the rubber of the new bush to allow easy fitting and a smear of grease on the ball pin of the new arm, a quick refit followed.

What I forgot to do was take a picture of the method employed to separate the outer balljoint, I'll wait until I next do one of these.

I wish the same quality arms were still manufactured today, this was the original arm fitted at the factory, as is the one still fitted to the nearside.

I'm looking forward to the testdrive without the clatter

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 11:17   #11066
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
so with my glamourous assistant lending a foot to the four foot bar

Brian
I remember seeing an Irish labourer moving a huge boulder from a footings excavation with a long bar and making it look easy. "Give me a long enough bar and I'll move the world" he said. I asked what he would use as a fulcrum and without raising his eyes, he said "You'll do!"
Old 31st March 2020, 15:33   #11067
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Drove it to work. Still none the wiser as to what the clunk is, everything seems tight at the front. Managed to locate an oscilloscope to possibly borrow from work, in case (or if I'm honest, in the most likely event) the new engine wiring loom doesn't sort my running issue.

Came home to see the second coat of chassis black around the inside of the new rear arms was curing nicely. Might grind the paint off the outsides tomorrow.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 15:35   #11068
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Fitted the newly arrived OS/F TRW track control arm, along with a new old stock Unipart rear bush.

So after a clean up of the subframe, a judicious application of KY to the rubber of the new bush to allow easy fitting and a smear of grease on the ball pin of the new arm, a quick refit followed.

I'm looking forward to the testdrive without the clatter

Brian
Best to conserve your stock of KY Brian. I hear that there is a shortage coming, and if that happens things will get rough. I know I don't need that kind of friction on my balljoints in these difficult times.
Old 3rd April 2020, 20:10   #11069
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

This afternoon I decided to have a few hours frabling with the KV6 Connie. Managed to get both trackrod ends fitted, and did a bit of cleaning up of the brake backplates at the front. Doused them in anti rust ready for some Waxoyle to be applied. Also lost a screwdriver down into the bowels of the engine bay whil putting the air filter back. Looks like an undercover off job. It has got to come off so I can have a good look at the subframe. Another day, another dollar.
Old 4th April 2020, 09:12   #11070
alphaeagle
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi, MG ZT CDTi

Had a sticking Steering lock, and found it hard to put the key barrel…

Placed a bit of white grease on the key inserted into the barrel and hey pesto Steering lock and barrel all working.

Rover 75 CDTi Copperleaf

Today is just yesterdays tomorrow.....
alphaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote