Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th April 2020, 20:18   #11211
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Mmmmmmmmmm, how I love the smell of creosote
They have just put a new telephone pole up on our dog walking route, you can smell the creosote from 100 yds away

Mmmm creosote
Old 19th April 2020, 21:17   #11212
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Fitted a fuel burner to Debs Ztt, coded in and working fine.

Just need a timer now and all will be toasty.

Mmm, timer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf timer wiring.pdf (329.0 KB, 21 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 19:24   #11213
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Changed the front discs and pads on the tourer this evening.
Will do the tears later in the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 19:31   #11214
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Will do the tears later in the week.

Why? Was the job that bad? 🤣
Old 20th April 2020, 20:11   #11215
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Finished painting my second wheel today-Phew that's 2 1/2 hours with the mask on.
I don't know how the health care workers can wear them for 12 hour shifts.
Hats off to them!

Old 21st April 2020, 19:12   #11216
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Why? Was the job that bad? 🤣

Ha. I suppose it was....that little blighter of a Torx screw took me an hour to get off with various implements standing in for a good chisel.🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 20:35   #11217
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

My mother was from West Cumberland and we travelled up there in every school holiday from Lydney until 1962. A treat was to go to the back of the train at Bromsgrove and watch Big Bertha shunt up behind for the big push all the way to the top of the Lickey. The blast from the chimney only 10 feet away was deafening.
The enormous headlight on the front was blinding at night.

Last edited by deltic08; 21st April 2020 at 20:48.. Reason: addition
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:49   #11218
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default From little acorns...

So I noticed that the various bracing struts under the car were looking very crusty,and,being at a loss for something to do,I decided I would take them off and revive them. With the passenger side one removed, the elusive control arm bush bolts seemed tantalisingly accessible. If I could undo those, I could replace the wishbone (MOT advisory). And if that was off, I might as well replace the weeping shock absorber, and actually, the brake line and hose were definitely past their best, and so on.
Of course I couldn't undo the pinch-bolts and so bought a s/h hub (eventually). And then, having done one side, it made sense to do the other (of course the pinch-bolts wouldn't come undone and so I bought another s/h hub off ebay). So that was the advisories dealt with, apart from the manky brake lines that run the length of the car, so I bought a brake flaring tool and some pipe/fittings. Of course, then the petrol tank had to be lowered, and so the strapping had to be removed and decrusted, the exhaust back box needed to come off , then the rear brake hoses needed replacing.
So five weeks later I have ruined all my clothes (and probably the washing machine) my hands look like I wrestle Edward Scissorhands for a living and the driveway is irrevocably stained with rust converter and skip/container paint but it all back together and everything works and nothing leaks. There is no way on earth I would have attempted this without the sterling advice on this forum so a very large thank you for your invaluable advice
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:59   #11219
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy24601 View Post
So I noticed that the various bracing struts under the car were looking very crusty,and,being at a loss for something to do,I decided I would take them off and revive them. With the passenger side one removed, the elusive control arm bush bolts seemed tantalisingly accessible. If I could undo those, I could replace the wishbone (MOT advisory). And if that was off, I might as well replace the weeping shock absorber, and actually, the brake line and hose were definitely past their best, and so on.
Of course I couldn't undo the pinch-bolts and so bought a s/h hub (eventually). And then, having done one side, it made sense to do the other (of course the pinch-bolts wouldn't come undone and so I bought another s/h hub off ebay). So that was the advisories dealt with, apart from the manky brake lines that run the length of the car, so I bought a brake flaring tool and some pipe/fittings. Of course, then the petrol tank had to be lowered, and so the strapping had to be removed and decrusted, the exhaust back box needed to come off , then the rear brake hoses needed replacing.
So five weeks later I have ruined all my clothes (and probably the washing machine) my hands look like I wrestle Edward Scissorhands for a living and the driveway is irrevocably stained with rust converter and skip/container paint but it all back together and everything works and nothing leaks. There is no way on earth I would have attempted this without the sterling advice on this forum so a very large thank you for your invaluable advice
A favourite saying of mine, often used when working on classic motors is, "It is sometimes difficult to remember, when you are up to your backside in alligators, that the object of the exercise, was to drain the swamp!"
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:44   #11220
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

After walking the dog, I thought, mmm nice day, I think I'll fit the old 214 horns to the ZT.

So I reversed Mrs MB's car off the drive and the plan changed, so drove her 75 back onto the drive.

Why the change of plan I hear you say, well let's just say the NSF spring was a little less, well springy than usual, as it was in two pieces.

Jacked up and on stands, I belted the pinch bolt on the end with a mash hammer.......hard, 15mm impact socket on a 2' bar and tightened the bolt.

Rust broken, I liberally squirted everything with plusgas after wire brushing all exposed threads, and made myself a cuppa.

I then started on the drop link nut, then unclipped the ABS sensor, and brake pipe flexi.

Up top next, and wound the stiffnut up to the top of the damper rod threads, then wound off two of the M8 nuts securing the top mount.

Back down below, I removed the pinch bolt, slacked off the subframe bolts on the other side, and removed the ones on the side I was working on.

Big hammer time.......I lowered the subframe by 2" with my trolley jack, then knocked the hub off the end of the damper, and finally removed the remaining nut securing the top mount, and manoeuvred the strut out from under the car.

Unusually, the spring was broken in the middle, and completely coil bound, so as there was no tension on the spring, I took the stiffnut off and removed the top mount.

I wangled the remnants of the spring off the strut, and measured the wire diameter 13.78mm, then checked the spring I had just liberated from the garage stock, 13.82mm......near enough for pit work

Cleaned up the damper piston at the top, and the body at the bottom, then mounted it upright in the Workmate, fitted the isolator to the replacement spring, then turned my attention to the strut top bearing.

As the bearing had popped apart when the spring broke, I took the plastic seal out, and boiled it in an old pan to soften it and reshape the lip that had been bent when the inner race had forced out, washed the balls in white spirit, then finally the plastic ball cage and the inner and outer races.

Reassembly after working some nice fresh LM grease into the races, and popped back into the top mount cage, I was ready to compress the spring and box it all together.

Four Ye Olde spring compressors, fitted around the spring and carefully pulled it down evenly keeping the piston rod central in the spring until the mount could be refitted.

Washer fitted, on with the stiffnut, and then pulled it up and removed the compressors.

A quick wash out of the spring turret, then offered the assembly back up and fitted the three mount nuts loosely.

The damper body then was entered into the hub, and with the jack placed under the lower arm, the hub jacked up into position, and the cleaned pinchbolt refitted.

All of the subframe bolts were cleaned and refitted, torqued up and the ABS sensor and brake hose refitted to the strut, and the pinch bolt, stiffnut, and mounting nuts torqued up.

Looking good at this stage, I made the decision to pull the calipers off, remove and clean the caliper carriers and sliders then refit with fresh Coppaslip on the pad mounts, and Renolit red rubber grease on the slider pins.

Wheels refitted, Mrs MB emerged from the front door with the hound on his lead ready for a stroll.......perfect timing, so I got my glamorous assistant to apply the footbrake while I torqued up the wheel nuts.

A sweep up of the drive, cleaned the tools and tidied up, then took it down off the axle stands, and it was time to scrub up my hands and have a shower.

Another day well spent doing something quite satisfying, and note to oneself........if approached six weeks ago to sell the pair of new 75 front springs you bought in the ECP super sale, and you take pity and sell them to another owner, remember why you bought them in the first place

Ho hum, another day, another doughnut

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote