Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2020, 09:41   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

And just in case the wider membership are in any doubt as to the credentials of "Your" seller, the return address on the back of the envelope from "my" seller

is 15 Church Road Enfield EN3 4NX.

LINK

That looks very much like the Valeo HQ to me Simon

Brian
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:09   #12
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

As a newby to both the forum and the make of car I would echo the thanks to brian. In the couple of months on this forum brians info and FREELY provided "how tos "etc have helped me enormously. regarding keys, my original Valoe has fallen apart due to age etc and I have ordered a replacement from the recommended supplier. I need two working keys and am not worried if they are not original so long as they function. I appeal to both parties in this dispute to " cool it " there is a Pandemic killing people all over the world remember.
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:45   #13
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
....I wonder where the OE cases were manufactured.
France (I think).

https://www.valeoservice.com/en-com/...stems/lock-set

https://www.valeoservice.com/en-com/...rvice-contacts

https://www.valeoservice.com/en-com/catalogs?lob=8663
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:16   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

This is one of the ones I tried - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/254119644289?ul_noapp=true

Not impressed.
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:16   #15
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I moved from Bradford back in the 90's and I'm pretty sure that there was a plastics company that made fobs for Valeo??? I'm sure that someone from the area may be able to help??? (Canal Road area I seem to remember?)
Old 4th May 2020, 08:14   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Incorrect Brian. The blade from my supplier does not have the thickness reduction you have assumed. Here's a photograph of it including the Valeo logo:

So by your own argument, the above is a genuine Valeo keyblade.

Secondly:

Incorrect again Brian. The black plastic part of the Valeo marked blade supplied to me is identical to my original OEM part, secured with a roll pin. It is nothing like the part you have pictured above.

Note also that the back cover of your Land Rover assembly has identical Valeo and CE markings to the back cover of my replacement. Isn't it odd that you say that one is genuine and the other isn't when all others for sale on e-Bay have plain back covers.

Also very significant is the high quality of the moulded case. I suggest that a copy could never be produced to that standard for the price charged. The supporting evidence is the commonly offered shoddy interiors with dysfunctional PCB clips, transponder boxes which don't retain the module, partially obscured LED lenses and absent date clocks and plastics ID.

You, of course, choose to ignore all this because it doesn't fit with the image of universal superiority of which you try so hard to convince us all.

Simon
I've just looked at "your" eBay suppliers pictures Simon, can you tell everyone what you see in his third picture here in particular regarding the blade, and specifically where it is enters and is attached to the black plastic part

This picture I pulled from another eBay seller, was used to demonstrate to others who perhaps have not seen a Land Rover Discovery key, what the blade looks like, nothing more and it of course like your key casing is a copy, you may note that I laid no claim as to the authenticity of the product, especially as the seller had obscured the Land Rover logo, but there was no black tape on the rear part of the casing, tsk how inconsistent of these pesky eBay resellers

Also it would appear, that all of the date "clocks" on these "genuine" cases all appear to have stopped in October 2004 too

So what do you have to say to that Simon? has the cat got your tongue perhaps?

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear what your thoughts are as to the difference between eating a custard tart, as opposed to a custard slice, now there is a bit of research you can really get your teeth into

Brian
Old 4th May 2020, 08:37   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I've never met Brian but I do value enormously the immense amount of expertise and knowledge imparted FREELY to anyone who is stuck on trying to keep these motors on the road. I for one am extremely grateful.
Hi Dave,

There are many people in this club who share their knowledge and experience FREELY with other members. Brian does not have a monopoly on that. Where he does score is in unashamed self publicity.

I have also received help from knowledgable and generous people in this club for which I too am grateful. In return, these members appreciate the contribution I can make in their chosen field and we have a respectful and friendly relationship. Sadly, this is impossible to achieve with Brian because clearly he is interested only in being the leader and being admired for it. Pursuing this goal inevitably leads to failure because no-one knows everything and everyone has something to learn from others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
PS On your advice . . . I've ordered up a "Valeo" key from this seller.
Thanks Dave. I'm glad to be of help. That's why Brian has jumped onto my horse and tried to throw me out of the saddle. There's no room for anyone else in his clan as we've seen from the casualties from this club over the years.

Simon
Old 4th May 2020, 08:43   #18
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Other members' experiences

Quote:
Must have bought SIX of these inexpensive 75/ZT Key Cases ... I cannot complain about quality. Most needed careful trimming with a Stanley Knife to get them to click nicely together and function. Some needed a small piece of "packing" between button and micro switch to obtain a near effortless activation.
Hi John,

You had to modify a dysfunctional moulding yet you cannot complain about quality? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
This is one of the ones I tried - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/254119644289?ul_noapp=true
Not impressed.
I'd be interested to hear what was wrong with that one Simon?

Simon
Old 4th May 2020, 09:04   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Dave,

There are many people in this club who share their knowledge and experience FREELY with other members. Brian does not have a monopoly on that. Where he does score is in unashamed self publicity.

I have also received help from knowledgeable and generous people in this club for which I too am grateful. In return, these members appreciate the contribution I can make in their chosen field and we have a respectful and friendly relationship. Sadly, this is impossible to achieve with Brian because clearly he is interested only in being the leader and being admired for it. Pursuing this goal inevitably leads to failure because no-one knows everything and everyone has something to learn from others.

Thanks Dave. I'm glad to be of help. That's why Brian has jumped onto my horse and tried to throw me out of the saddle. There's no room for anyone else in his clan as we've seen from the casualties from this club over the years.

Simon
What a load of tosh Simon, and don't you know it.

What you can't admit to is being wrong, and being brought to task about it, and it is nothing more than sour grapes on your part.

I will help any member to the best of my abilities, and if that includes telling someone who is clearly wrong that they are wrong I will do so.

The problem is you've never met me in real life, and the fact I will happily tell you to your face if you are talking rubbish, and also happily take on board if I'm also wrong, and that is how you learn.

I've met your type before though, people who are tight fisted, and half a jobs, claiming what they do makes economic sense.

This is fine if you wish to follow the path of tight fisted, half baked, selective maintenance, but not to advise others that this is the correct path to take.

I also do not have a hatred of the motor trade Simon, although I may dabble on the periphery, I do not tar every individual concerned with that industry as incompetent and useless, something you do on every single occasion, how many times have we heard this trotted out I wonder "They have not used the MGR procedure for bleeding the system"

How can you possibly know? and how can you possibly judge something you have not seen personally?

I'm going to tell you an analogy Simon, and I hope you can understand why.......when you bite into a custard tart, the custard is contained by the pie crust, and when you bite into a custard slice, the custard squeezes out of the edges, normally ending up on your chin, or your lap if you are really lucky.

So both items contain the same substance, namely custard, except that the custard in the slice is contained in a flange joint

It's fairly annoying to have your thread littered with unrelated rubbish don't you agree?

I will offer both practical, knowledgeable, and physical assistance to any club member when I can, I do not sit at my keyboard spouting pathetic vitriol to justify how much better than I am at every one involved in the motor trade, and to cover my embarrassment at being "put right" by someone who actually knows better.

So do you accept now that your question you posed in your thread title has been conclusively answered, or are you going to continue spouting sour grape nonsense?

As they say the ball is in your court now
Old 4th May 2020, 09:15   #20
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Hi Simon,

Simple... needs must. I think they cost me a massive two quid.... posted ...Daylight robbery .. not...

Still working fine some years on.

How's that nice old Rover SD1 going nowadays?
John, how about this thread, for people not afraid to sort out a "pressing" problem

LINK

It goes to show, it is perfectly possible to use the cheap cases from the evilbay, without problems, you just need to be a bit intuitive

Brian
Closed Thread