Old 26th May 2020, 12:54   #81
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Coping very well thank you Philip, as you seem to be, although it must help to be used to the way things are down there - rather shocking to hear of the heavy handed approach as I had imagined Kenya to be more progressive. My visit to Mombasa during the Beira patrol days (not my idea!) produced favourable memories, including spending Christmas Day drinking G & Ts on the beach.

What we hear here in Sweden is that most of us will at some time get this virus, the trick is preventing us from getting it all at the same time. Current estimates for Stockholm suggest that 26% of the population have been infected, some say a higher figure. And even if you have ‘flu like symptoms you can’t get tested unless you’re a care worker, you get told to stay at home until free from symptoms meanwhile your kids go to school (still open) and other half go to work as usual. Thankfully the Swedish NHS are coping well, ICUs are operating at below max. capacity and the field hospitals haven’t yet been used. But the Swedes are kicking themselves slightly as unlike Finland Sweden has done away with all its wartime contingencies supplies. The Finns are forever suspicious of their eastern neighbour and rightly so.

You are fortunate to be able to fly even though you face a period of quarantine, mind you from what I hear of the situation in UK everyone is just about in quarantine compared to here, even with some easing of the restrictions. Strange that some flights are still operating, not here - I believe that except for a few domestic flights all aircraft are grounded.

Hope your flight goes ahead and you keep well,

Mike
Hello Mike

It’s great to hear the Swedish Health Care system is managing and you are coping well

My flight has been cancelled but the airline had transferred it to an open ticket valid until 2022.

From yesterday’s stats in Kenya, there has been 52 deaths, 1286 cases and from those cases, 35% have recovered.

In the local news, a few days ago, a Doctor was shot by the police during curfew hours. He survived but he is in ICU and the police are still beating up people who get caught not wearing a mask. Fear of being beaten to a pulp or being shot is driving people off the streets at night and making them compliant.

I see restrictions in the UK are being eased which is a step in the right direction.

Something different.

Yesterday, there was an article in the Hindustani Times discussing the stigma of people who have been infected and recovered from Covid-19. The point of the story was to reassure how those who have recovered, are not carriers and what they really need, is lots lots of love, patience and understanding.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 19:44   #82
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I'd be interested to know where all the money racked up by fines is going!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote