Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th February 2024, 13:00   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Knocks and creaks from offside front suspension

I had both my front dampers replaced last month and she felt much better all round. A big bill, that I don't want to repeat after just a month. However, now the offside front suspension has started knocking/ creaking a lot. I don't think it's the dampers as I had these noises before I had these fixed, albeit not as bad as they are at the moment. Noises seemed to disappear when I gave all the front offside a good spray with WD back in December. It's understandable to have suspension problems on our cars given the state of the roads these days. I find myself weaving in and out like a drunk to avoid pot holes, but that's another story!
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2024, 14:56   #2
JAYWHY 75

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
I had both my front dampers replaced last month and she felt much better all round. A big bill, that I don't want to repeat after just a month. However, now the offside front suspension has started knocking/ creaking a lot. I don't think it's the dampers as I had these noises before I had these fixed, albeit not as bad as they are at the moment. Noises seemed to disappear when I gave all the front offside a good spray with WD back in December. It's understandable to have suspension problems on our cars given the state of the roads these days. I find myself weaving in and out like a drunk to avoid pot holes, but that's another story!
Worth having/checking the setscrews and nuts and bolts are tight at the bottom of the suspension strut also the three nuts inside engine bay holding the suspension arm from the top
JAYWHY 75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2024, 15:08   #3
JAYWHY 75

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYWHY 75 View Post
Worth having/checking the setscrews and nuts and bolts are tight at the bottom of the suspension strut also the three nuts inside engine bay holding the suspension arm from the top
Another thought were the top strut bearings changed as well as the struts?When I did mine I greased the bearing races (both sides) before re- assembly
JAYWHY 75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 11:59   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Have you checked the drop links Rob? If you think it might be them, take the nut off the bottom of the link, and detach, then try pushing the link up and down. Any play needs new links. Five minute job.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:45   #5
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

Something to check.
Wishbone trailing arm bush
Wishbone lower ball joint.
Coil springs F & R
Lower engine mount.

I had the same, very faint that sounded like it was coming from the N/SF only when decelerating at low speed. All the front suspension had been done, popped on a lower engine mount because it had a minor split, although better it was still there. Took it for MOT and it failed on broken N/SR spring, about 2" had broken off the top but was still there, must have been playing clackers, replaced the spring, sorted.