Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2015, 14:02   #21
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Ok so the freelander part has arrived and the thermostat certainly looks the same with the same size pipes etc, but the yard is covered with snow so will need to wait for a dry day to fit it.

Here is a picture close up

image.jpg

More importantly for thise others of you in need of one, it comes complete withBMW part code moulded on the side of it

2354117 which a quick search on ebay produces this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-E4...-/271447698710

Which at £5 has got to be a cheaper way to go that buying complete coolers. The freelander cooler cost me £20 but hopefully now gives others with the same problem a few options.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 14:27   #22
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Just a bit more searching gives this page

http://www.bmwetk.info/parts-catalog...57/13322354117

Which if you click on item number 3 suggests they are 16 euro from a dealer, presumably plus their sales margins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Ok so the freelander part has arrived and the thermostat certainly looks the same with the same size pipes etc, but the yard is covered with snow so will need to wait for a dry day to fit it.

Here is a picture close up

Attachment 44095

More importantly for thise others of you in need of one, it comes complete withBMW part code moulded on the side of it

2354117 which a quick search on ebay produces this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-E4...-/271447698710

Which at £5 has got to be a cheaper way to go that buying complete coolers. The freelander cooler cost me £20 but hopefully now gives others with the same problem a few options.
Old 24th January 2015, 19:11   #23
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Default Job done

I can now confirm the freelander/bmw thermostat fits and is the same part as ours. Replaced it today, and the leak is now cured.

Turned out to be a bigger job that i expected. Dropped the cooler down by releasing the 2 mounting bolts.

Orientation of the hose clips meant i needed to release one hose at the radiator.

Used a cobtainer to collect a radiator full of diesel, then released the top hose by squeezing in the plastic release and pulling it out, then the last hose.

The mounting bracket for the thermostat was rusted apart so it just twisted off.

With the thermostat out of the way, i drilled out the remaining parts of the bracket.

I then fabricated a new bracket out of a piece of zintec, found new bolts and washers. The earthing strap had snapped at the radiator end so i made up a new one of those as well then put it all back together, tested, and all fine.

Here is the new part, with new bracket ready to go on

image.jpg
Old 24th January 2015, 19:12   #24
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Back on the carimage.jpg
Old 24th January 2015, 19:14   #25
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

excellent sir... thank you for your efforts and feedback...
Old 24th January 2015, 19:16   #26
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

image.jpgThe old one opened up and you find a bimetalic disk behind a grill supplying hot fuel to the cooler, and blosking the hole when cold. All that seals the 2 halves is an o ring trapped between the 2 parts. No obvious sign of damage to anything, so i presume just the 2 halves have relaxed, or pushed apart slightly with age, causing the leak. The rusting of the bracket behind the plastic could have also applied pressure in a way it didnt like as it swelled up.
Old 24th January 2015, 19:22   #27
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Attachment 44365The old one opened up and you find a bimetalic disk behind a grill supplying hot fuel to the cooler, and blosking the hole when cold. All that seals the 2 halves is an o ring trapped between the 2 parts. No obvious sign of damage to anything, so i presume just the 2 halves have relaxed, or pushed apart slightly with age, causing the leak. The rusting of the bracket behind the plastic could have also applied pressure in a way it didnt like as it swelled up.
so do you think new O-rings and bolts may help??
Old 24th January 2015, 19:31   #28
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
so do you think new O-rings and bolts may help??
To be honest i had to saw the clips off to separate the 2 halves. If you had a suitable jig to squeeze them all in at the same time and push them through the holes tyen you might just get it apart. Then you would need to source an o ring of just the right size.

Possibly a new flat bracket and rebolting it down might press the 2 parts together a bit better, but is all a bit tricky, and access is not great.

With freelander and bmw parts being relatively plentiful its probably not worth the trouble.
Old 24th January 2015, 22:22   #29
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi David.
Good posts throughout you doing this work as I said at the beginning I was almost sure they are one and the same part, through the hard work you have carried out you have confirmed it and I am sure this is going to help other members in the future as the fuel cooler and its not return valve thermostat vale which ever name it as is in a bad position and can only create trouble, nearly all the fuel coolers I have looked at the earth strap as corroded and detached.

Fixed mine way back with electric connector which was later taped up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13762.jpg (126.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 3232.jpg (129.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13767.jpg (134.2 KB, 42 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 04:18   #30
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David.
Good posts throughout you doing this work as I said at the beginning I was almost sure they are one and the same part, through the hard work you have carried out you have confirmed it and I am sure this is going to help other members in the future as the fuel cooler and its not return valve thermostat vale which ever name it as is in a bad position and can only create trouble, nearly all the fuel coolers I have looked at the earth strap as corroded and detached.

Fixed mine way back with electric connector which was later taped up.
Hi arctic, it wouldnt have happened without you suggesting it, so thanks for that.

I used stainless bolts this time so will keep an eye on the earth strap as i only had electrical copper wire available. The original appears to have been steel so i may have to reterminate the original and put it back later. I did notice that rimmers list the earth strap separately.

I also plan to make a better bracket to swap over later. I just used what i had to hand as i hadnt expected to need one. If i do that i will make a template for others to follow.