Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2022, 08:48   #1
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 13,203
Thanks: 1,529
Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Tourer tail gate power

When the tail gate of a Tourer is open, apart from the number plate lights, does anything else have a live active?
I know the number plate lights live, will only be active if the lights are turned on.

Looking for a live just when the tail gate is open

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 09:47   #2
Ducati750cc
Loves to post
 
Rover75 tourer

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ashton
Posts: 298
Thanks: 107
Thanked 175 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
When the tail gate of a Tourer is open, apart from the number plate lights, does anything else have a live active?
I know the number plate lights live, will only be active if the lights are turned on.

Looking for a live just when the tail gate is open

macafee2

What do you need the live for ?
__________________
Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 16:37   #3
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 13,203
Thanks: 1,529
Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
What do you need the live for ?
short version, to provide some light to the area where the warning triangle is kept. Went to access it last night in the middle of nowhere and could not see the straps to release it or the turn screws to lower the flap.

long version.... long and boring, the wifes car needs the front and rear tracking checked, a new wheel and some paint, all at less then 20mph. Someone apparently having their foot slip off the clutch at a roundabout and hitting her rear half as she went passed but that is not why i needed the light but the run up to it. She drove after exchanging details for about 20 minutes stopping at some red traffic lights. The engine stopped as she has auto shut off but would not start. the headlights when out when she tried.
Strange but I tried a jump start and nothing, had the car recovered home. Insurance today have out us in touch with repair company, hire car being arranged, also put in touch with a claims lawyer, been told not to drive car it will be collected, been advised it is a non fault incident and no claims not a/effected... bet premium is. Admiral insurance have been so far very good. Lets see what the repair looks like

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 10:49   #4
Ducati750cc
Loves to post
 
Rover75 tourer

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ashton
Posts: 298
Thanks: 107
Thanked 175 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
short version, to provide some light to the area where the warning triangle is kept. Went to access it last night in the middle of nowhere and could not see the straps to release it or the turn screws to lower the flap.

long version.... long and boring, the wifes car needs the front and rear tracking checked, a new wheel and some paint, all at less then 20mph. Someone apparently having their foot slip off the clutch at a roundabout and hitting her rear half as she went passed but that is not why i needed the light but the run up to it. She drove after exchanging details for about 20 minutes stopping at some red traffic lights. The engine stopped as she has auto shut off but would not start. the headlights when out when she tried.
Strange but I tried a jump start and nothing, had the car recovered home. Insurance today have out us in touch with repair company, hire car being arranged, also put in touch with a claims lawyer, been told not to drive car it will be collected, been advised it is a non fault incident and no claims not a/effected... bet premium is. Admiral insurance have been so far very good. Lets see what the repair looks like

macafee2

So you need a light to show up the triangle flap when dark.


The circuit is easy, pick up a + and - from the rear light or number plate light circuit, incorporate a tilt switch, you only want it on when the tailgate is open, a tilt switch will ensure this happens if positioned correctly.


The awkward bit is where to position a light source to shine upwards and illuminate that area to allow you access the flap, which when you look at it would be difficult to mount on the tailgate, so the only option for a light would be in load area, pointing upwards.



Or carry a small torch in the car, something I've done with all the cars I've owned, still do, handy for doing many things in the dark, wheel change etc.


There are a vast number of cheap torches,using conventional batteries, to re-chargeable, to wind up ones, the old wind up ones used to charge Ni-Cads which eventually failed, the newer ones charge up a capacitor, there are even wind up ones with a small solar panel to keep it charged.
__________________
Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 11:04   #5
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 13,203
Thanks: 1,529
Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
So you need a light to show up the triangle flap when dark.


The circuit is easy, pick up a + and - from the rear light or number plate light circuit, incorporate a tilt switch, you only want it on when the tailgate is open, a tilt switch will ensure this happens if positioned correctly.


The awkward bit is where to position a light source to shine upwards and illuminate that area to allow you access the flap, which when you look at it would be difficult to mount on the tailgate, so the only option for a light would be in load area, pointing upwards.



Or carry a small torch in the car, something I've done with all the cars I've owned, still do, handy for doing many things in the dark, wheel change etc.


There are a vast number of cheap torches,using conventional batteries, to re-chargeable, to wind up ones, the old wind up ones used to charge Ni-Cads which eventually failed, the newer ones charge up a capacitor, there are even wind up ones with a small solar panel to keep it charged.
Tilt switch, good idea thanks

macafee2

Google search for a tilt switch also brought up a rocker switch which contains a light. I am sure I have one of those kicking around somewhere.
May be able to fit the light to the flap that covers the triangle.

Last edited by macafee2; 29th January 2022 at 11:09..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2022, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd