Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2022, 08:29   #1
RegalRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default No Heating Whatsoever

Hi all

Whenever I use my 75, it is always freezing cold, even if I run it for 30 mins beforehand.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what I need to replace??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th January 2022, 11:35   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRover View Post
Hi all

Whenever I use my 75, it is always freezing cold, even if I run it for 30 mins beforehand.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what I need to replace??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Leyton.
I presume the heating blowers are working yes, also what temp do you have the heating set to.

Your heating should be working nicely after a short drive of about 5 miles, and or if you have left your car running for 30mins, which i would not recommend as it does the engine no good from cold start just to let it tick over, always best to drive off right away after starting.

If the above blowers working and temp set, then most likely your thermostat is not working as it should, most likely opening to early which most CDT & CDTi do at sometime in their lives, the original thermostat starts to fail slightly and opens early slowing the heat to the interior and the engine it's self never get up to proper temp.

The fix is an inline thermostat, which is a cheat around from changing out the original which is a nightmare of a job, and very time consuming and costly.

You first port of call is to set your IPK to 19 then to 7 doing this will give you the correct temp of your engine, the dial for the temp which is usually at 9 o'clock makes no difference if the engine is at 75c or 100c.

Once you have set the IPK to 19-7 go for at least a 10 mile drive with this set you are looking for the temp to be around 85c 89c for a good working original thermostat.

If the reading come back in the 75c to 79c then the original stat is most likely opening early and your car would benefit from a stat inline or a original change one.

https://youtu.be/OcB5WLEPdL8

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=55585

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 18th January 2022 at 11:58..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 14:46   #3
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Leyton.
I presume the heating blowers are working yes, also what temp do you have the heating set to.

Your heating should be working nicely after a short drive of about 5 miles, and or if you have left your car running for 30mins, which i would not recommend as it does the engine no good from cold start just to let it tick over, always best to drive off right away after starting.

If the above blowers working and temp set, then most likely your thermostat is not working as it should, most likely opening to early which most CDT & CDTi do at sometime in their lives, the original thermostat starts to fail slightly and opens early slowing the heat to the interior and the engine it's self never get up to proper temp.

The fix is an inline thermostat, which is a cheat around from changing out the original which is a nightmare of a job, and very time consuming and costly.

You first port of call is to set your IPK to 19 then to 7 doing this will give you the correct temp of your engine, the dial for the temp which is usually at 9 o'clock makes no difference if the engine is at 75c or 100c.

Once you have set the IPK to 19-7 go for at least a 10 mile drive with this set you are looking for the temp to be around 85c 89c for a good working original thermostat.

If the reading come back in the 75c to 79c then the original stat is most likely opening early and your car would benefit from a stat inline or a original change one.

https://youtu.be/OcB5WLEPdL8

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=55585

I ran mine all last winter with a failed stat, yes it took a while to warm up but after about 2 miles it blew warm and after 5-6 miles it was hotter but obviously not as hot as with a working stat, which I have now fitted, the difference is remarkable, the slight improvement in consumption is a bonus.

However it could never be described as freezing cold even in -5 conditions after running for 30 mins.which suggest something other than just being the stat.

As you say the quick and simple IPK check is the best place to start.

I think it would be an idea to ensure the system is full, then from cold whilst it is ticking over feel the top and bottom hoses to look for a temp change better with an i.r. thermometer but hands will do a quick check, then on to the heater matrix pipes.

If all these appear OK then matrix, heater valves and controls could be culprits, but as always, look for the cheapest and easiest solution first.

The freezing thing is the question mark, it would be handy if Leyton could let us know if it is actually freezing i.e. at ambient temperature, or just lukewarm, the last time it appeared to be OK and has any work been done.
Old 18th January 2022, 15:43   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Just to add to what arctic states in post 2, if I recall, my car with a failed stat only showed something like 50-to 55 degrees ( 54 sticks in my mind), after a 30 minute idle. Under load (normal.driving) this still only rose to the high 70s.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 20:29   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Hate to state the obvious but have you checked your coolant level?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 23:29   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You say it is always freezing cold? Do you mean the engine, or the inside of the car?
Old 19th January 2022, 17:05   #7
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

What type of heating controls does it have?
Dial or the automatic climate control type?
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 13:12   #8
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Back flushing the heater matrix worked a treat on my 1.8t - perked up the output a treat.

Looks like I'm going to have to do the same on my V6.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 13:37   #9
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
Back flushing the heater matrix worked a treat on my 1.8t - perked up the output a treat.

Looks like I'm going to have to do the same on my V6.

Sadly,until, or if, Leyton ever comes back with the answers asked or a result there's no way of helping him any further !

Last edited by Ducati750cc; 21st January 2022 at 13:40..
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 14:41   #10
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
the dial for the temp which is usually at 9 o'clock makes no difference if the engine is at 75c or 100c.

This was the case for cars out of the factory? I noticed it during test drives of the ZT I'm fixing up, but I figured it was an issue with either the sensor or wiring. If I'm ever back to the car I'll have to do the dail trick (where you make all dials go from 0 to 100% and back), but this is good to know
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote