Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd August 2014, 10:39   #1
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Default Speed Cameras eh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-visible.html

No surprise to me, have been many cases lately and chats online on various websites about the use of civilians parked in Police Marked vehicles and the validity of it... IE some have claimed they are impersonating Police Officers... as the law given to Chief Inspectors to allow them to give powers to PCSO's etc, appear not to cover civilians...using marked Police Vans.... which makes sense to me, otherwise we could all just buy a white volvo estate and pretend to be Police if they created a law to make citizens police...

I for one have no trust anymore for the Police service... it was once run by real men and women with Morals..... who respected the law and simply acted only upon the law... but we appear to now have Police forces up and down the country acting just like the USA cops.. all Gung Ho.. and do as they please.

Handing down powers to lower ranking civies can only makes matters worse... and having Nobody ever out checking officers can only lead to sneaky officers like those caught in the story above.....

I do feel sorry for the genuine law abiding officers, who appear now to be swimming against a tide of fellow officers out for their own agenda... rather than representing the law and acting on it.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:53   #2
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I have seen PCSO's using hand held radar devices, whether they have been correctly trained in the use of such devices is debatable.
If you do get a ticket or any road offence prosecution then head to this site:
http://www.pepipoo.com/

They know what is right and what is not and help you fight your corner.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:02   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think the chat is just that. They aren't impersonating Police Officers at all. They are sat in a van, they have no interaction with the public. How can they be accused of that, you can't even see them.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:35   #4
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

OP: your experience is not the same as mine, neither is your assessment of current police policy. Maybe I've been just lucky but I have a very different view.
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:37   #5
wesley
Loves to post

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
If you do get a ticket or any road offence prosecution then head to this site:
http://www.pepipoo.com/

They know what is right and what is not and help you fight your corner.
sorry to diaggree but as i understand it actully the easiest way to get yourself a realy hefty fine.
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:49   #6
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

A good few years ago I was trundelling down the A127 on my 1000cc M/C late at night taking my then girlfriend home, Me and in the distance a car catching an arctic I realised I would roughly catch him at the same time he would catch the truck so flashed him to overtake, he didn't, I pulled out and flashed him again to overtake which this time he did and after overtaking them both I pulled back in..get's to the M25 junction and his lights behind the grill come on..

Nicked for 78mph on the A127 at 2am on a wednesday...

One was a complete willy the other almost apologetic and when out of earshot he said 'Sorry we've had a bad shift and he's got the raging hump'..

After receiving my ticket I respectfully said cherio to the nice one, to the other....well it started with the same letter.....

In the same way there are good and bad people in life there are good, average & a hole officers..

They are humans after all, probably find these two just couldn't be bothered to stand outside their car in the cold, trouble is instead of coming clean and saying 'yeah they pillsed up and we've reprimanded them'.. Their higher ups back them up rather than admit their department has done wrong and that to me is a bigger issue than the cops being in the car in the first place..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:16   #7
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
A good few years ago I was trundelling down the A127 on my 1000cc M/C late at night taking my then girlfriend home, Me and in the distance a car catching an arctic I realised I would roughly catch him at the same time he would catch the truck so flashed him to overtake, he didn't, I pulled out and flashed him again to overtake which this time he did and after overtaking them both I pulled back in..get's to the M25 junction and his lights behind the grill come on..

Nicked for 78mph on the A127 at 2am on a wednesday...

One was a complete willy the other almost apologetic and when out of earshot he said 'Sorry we've had a bad shift and he's got the raging hump'..

After receiving my ticket I respectfully said cherio to the nice one, to the other....well it started with the same letter.....

In the same way there are good and bad people in life there are good, average & a hole officers..

They are humans after all, probably find these two just couldn't be bothered to stand outside their car in the cold, trouble is instead of coming clean and saying 'yeah they pillsed up and we've reprimanded them'.. Their higher ups back them up rather than admit their department has done wrong and that to me is a bigger issue than the cops being in the car in the first place..
As a former PC plod (a long time ago in my younger days) I have to say there are good and bad in every walk of life. In the main Police are diligent and nowadays overworked and spread far too thinly. However, unlike some walks of life bad apples can cause all sorts of grief and have great power if misused.
My wise old sage of a partner told me..' Ask yourself if in that situation would your father deserve to be locked up, charged or given a warning?'
Very sound advice that I followed.
My own personal opinion is that in the face of today's difficulties in the job they are not always able to recruit the correct people. This sometimes shows in the way they behave. I do firmly still believe that most try to do a very difficult job well.
Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 18:43   #8
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
As a former PC plod (a long time ago in my younger days) I have to say there are good and bad in every walk of life. In the main Police are diligent and nowadays overworked and spread far too thinly. However, unlike some walks of life bad apples can cause all sorts of grief and have great power if misused.
My wise old sage of a partner told me..' Ask yourself if in that situation would your father deserve to be locked up, charged or given a warning?'
Very sound advice that I followed.
My own personal opinion is that in the face of today's difficulties in the job they are not always able to recruit the correct people. This sometimes shows in the way they behave. I do firmly still believe that most try to do a very difficult job well.
Chris
A big problem in my opinion is the amount of ex squaddies in the police force.
I have personally been on the receiving end of one of these, he seemed to treat everybody he dealt with like a new recruit who hadn't polished his boots properly, he had only left the army a few months previously. (I complained and the desk sergeant told me)

I had done nothing wrong, some kids had been riding motorbikes on the nearby fields, I happened to be working on a motorbike on my driveway when he arrived and he convinced himself I was guilty. When I pointed out that I didn't appreciate being spoken to like something he had just stepped in, he got really aggressive, started waving his finger in my face and threatening to take me to the station.
It didn't exactly do much for police/public relations lol

Last edited by neilb740; 23rd August 2014 at 21:03..
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 16:51   #9
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
A big problem in my opinion is the amount of ex squaddies in the police force.
I have personally been on the receiving end of one of these, he seemed to treat everybody he dealt with like a new recruit who hadn't polished his boots properly, he had only left the army a few months previously. (I complained and the desk sergeant told me)

I had done nothing wrong, some kids had been riding motorbikes on the nearby fields, I happened to be working on a motorbike on my driveway when he arrived and he convinced himself I was guilty. When I pointed out that I didn't appreciate being spoken to like something he had just stepped in, he got really aggressive, started waving his finger in my face and threatening to take me to the station.
It didn't exactly do much for police/public relations lol
He is one of the idiots I was talking about. Not much of a defence but quite a lot of ex military bods find the transition to civilian life difficult. Let us hope he gets appropriate training pronto!

As you say does not exactly encourage trust does it? During his career he will need help from an ordinary member of the public at some point. Hope he thinks about that.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 18:45   #10
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Safety camera partnership guidelines are one thing. They are for safety camera partnerships, not the police. Safety camera partnership employees are civilians in the same sense as council run parking enforcement. They hold no powers of police officers, do not have blue lights on their vehicles and will not stop traffic. They operate cameras and are required to be a high visibility presence at collision blackspots.

Police guidelines are different. High visibility is required when standing roadside for the officers protection only. The officers in the car were not doing anything wrong, you may not agree morally but that's a different matter. I feel sorry that she was caught on the hoof and made to look like she didn't have a clue when she was conforming to the guidelines. Think unmarked patrol car.......

It may be different in other parts of the country but this is the way it works in Scotland.

Remember guidelines are just that.

I believe the cameraman recently served time in relation to posting comments on social media regarding the two female officers shot and killed in Manchester. Salt of the earth.
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote