Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2019, 18:27   #1
RAY OF THE ROVERS
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Default ABS query.

Sorry about this chaps, l know there is another ABS thread going at the moment. I would just like to know if the abs is playing up but there is no warning light on does this mean the problem is in the hub. In other words will the light only come on if it is a sensor or faulty connection? Cheers Ray.
RAY OF THE ROVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 18:36   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You don't actually say if the ABS is working or not. Bit more info. please.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 19:25   #3
RAY OF THE ROVERS
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Sorry again. I am going through the pinging on the brake pedal at very slow speed stage (yet again). This happened last year same thing, no warning light. This turned out to be the N\S rear hub, which was replaced and all was fine, until a month ago. The reason l ask about the light is because this will eliminate the sensors if that is how it works.
RAY OF THE ROVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 20:31   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The problem with the symptoms you are having is that the system is probably missing picking up the odd segment on the magnetic reluctor on one wheel, which is exactly the same as what happens when a wheel starts to lock up, so the ABS kicks in but the light doesn't come on.

I had this on one rear hub where rust on the backplate pushed the sensor back and the air gap was slightly too big so it didn't sense every segment. Might be worth checking the new sensor you fitted is properly seated and give the mounting hole surround a good rub down.

Was the sensor aftermarket or genuine? If the former then I had a similar fault and filed around 1mm off the back of the sensor bracket to move it a bit closer to the bearing.

Failing that check each wheel in turn by jacking it up, slowly rotating it and measuring the sensor voltage, which should change between 0.7 and 1.7v as each segment passes the sensor.

I made up a cable from a bit of bell wire and an old ABS connector to save pinning the cables on the car. Used it here to check a secondhand hub prior to fitting:

[IMG][/IMG]
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 20:47   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I think Arctic mentioned buying a new rear hub bearing but not changing the backplates which were rusty - guess what happened to the new hub bearing?

Just done my rear ABS with new sensor & hub bearing, but as DMGRS had a good price on a kit, changed the backplates, shoes etc as I don’t want to change rear sensors ever again.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 00:56   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Quote:
I think Arctic mentioned buying a new rear hub bearing but not changing the backplates which were rusty - guess what happened to the new hub bearing?
Just done my rear ABS with new sensor & hub bearing, but as DMGRS had a good price on a kit, changed the backplates, shoes etc as I don’t want to change rear sensors ever again.

Regards
Hi Mike.
yes you are correct I changed OSR bearing at the time I cleaned up the back plate and sprayed it then this year it came back to bite me, ruined the bearing so had to add another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17811.jpg (129.8 KB, 7 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote