Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2020, 17:59   #1
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts
Default Thought I would share another super handy tip of mine with you guys

As many of you know I’m a car dismantler and one of the most common problems I come up against is rusty nuts and bolts they are the biggest pain in backside, over many years I have tried various different methods to remove these super stubborn corroded fasteners, I am fortunate that I have access to Oxy and acetylene and also MAPP Gas, along with a bolt induction heater, but I appreciate most people don’t have these facilities, and that’s why I thought I would share this super handy tip with you guys, Forget the WD-40, plus gas and all the other penetrating lubricants, because you can make your own penetrating lubricant which in my opinion in my experience is far superior here is how to do it.

Firstly get yourself a oil can a thumb operated metal type is the one that I suggest, then get yourself a litre of fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid, any brand will do, secondly get yourself a litre of pure acetone, then whilst wearing a pair of nitrile gloves fill your can halfway up or just under with your fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid, then add in the same quantity of acetone, make sure the can is sealed tight, then shake the can quite firmly for around 20 seconds this will allow the acetone and the automatic transmission fluid to mix, otherwise they will remain separated, once you have done this then pour the fluid onto the Fastner that is corroded that you want to break free, leave it for a few minutes and voila it should come free a lot easier without having to struggle.

This method works because the automatic transmission fluid velocity works with the acetone breaking down the corrosion and allowing the ATF to go down the thread and lubricating it.

Not only is this method the most effective in my opinion, but in the long run it’s probably also a lot cheaper as a litre of fully synthetic ATF will cost you around about £7.50, and a litre of acetone is around £9 meaning at £16.50 you will have 2 L of penetration fluid that will last a long time, and might also save your knuckles one day

You must remember however, that each time you use it you will need to shake it up, you should also be aware that you must keep it somewhere relatively safe because it is a flammable substance.

I always recommend wearing gloves whilst using this, and for health and safety reasons goggles are a good idea too, remember this is for your health and safety.

Hope this helps somebody one day soon
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 05:45   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Many thanks for this.

May I offer a tip too?

I volunteer at WorkAid, a charity that sends previously donated tools etc to projects in Western Africa. I work in the Hand Tools Refurb dept, turning rusty relics from Grandad’s shed into fully working implements.

As once they’ve been refurbed these can be in storage or in transit containers for up to several months, they need a bit of protection.

Now the tip: we use a 50:50 mix of Linseed oil and White Spirit in a spray bottle, and give the tools a good coating and wipe once they’re done. Again, cheaper than branded products.
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:26   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

The reason for boiling it is to stop it drying out. WorkAid mixes it regularly, (and there aren’t facilities for boiling it) so ours is not boiled.
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:33   #4
cossie dunc
I really should get out more.......

rover 75 contemporary se cdti + rover 75 connie cdti work horse

Great tip Mick,
this brings back memories, I used to mix something very similar and use it back in the day.

As the years have gone on I’ve got lazy and just buy innotec de block oil now, which I must say is absolutely amazing stuff I’d highly recommend it. It’s very expensive but it’s the best

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22279921791...SABEgLXKfD_BwE

Scotland's rover 75/mg zt service,repair & enthusiast centre

Used parts.....servicing.......mechanical repairs.......modifications

Call Duncan 07415 251 705
cossie dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:43   #5
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie dunc View Post
Great tip Mick,
this brings back memories, I used to mix something very similar and use it back in the day.

As the years have gone on I’ve got lazy and just buy innotec de block oil now, which I must say is absolutely amazing stuff I’d highly recommend it. It’s very expensive but it’s the best

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22279921791...SABEgLXKfD_BwE
No problem mate,
I’ve never used that stuff so I’m going to look into it
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:59   #6
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

We use similar at work, though I've found adding 25% methylated spirit into the ATF/Acetone mix works very well.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote