Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26th July 2014, 00:22   #21
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Sorry but my point was quite simple. Your insurance company must be informed of any modification to your car, even simple things like non standard wheels, or go faster stripes. You would normally confirm that at each renewal.
As for MOT yes it will pass. HID is not tested, only the beam cut off which will be OK with proper HID units. Also the car is tested with allowance for only the driver on board, with passengers in the back or a full boot, the situation could be berry different, hence the requirement for auto levelling.
However, if you read the attachment to my initial post, you will note that HID is actually illegal in UK. However DfT who are the people who enforce the law saw they would not object to anyone fitting proper HID units provided they are fitted in accordance with the EU regulation that permits them on new cars.
There are those on here that choose to take parts of their statement in isolation in order to prove differently.
DfT always make the point that they do not give legal advice, but bearing in mind that they are the government department that enforces the law, I think you would be very unwise to ignore their advise.
Please note also that although the document is dated 2010, it was their reply to my question this week.
Old 26th July 2014, 16:19   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Sorry but my point was quite simple. Your insurance company must be informed of any modification to your car, even simple things like non standard wheels, or go faster stripes. You would normally confirm that at each renewal.
As for MOT yes it will pass. HID is not tested, only the beam cut off which will be OK with proper HID units. Also the car is tested with allowance for only the driver on board, with passengers in the back or a full boot, the situation could be berry different, hence the requirement for auto levelling.
However, if you read the attachment to my initial post, you will note that HID is actually illegal in UK. However DfT who are the people who enforce the law saw they would not object to anyone fitting proper HID units provided they are fitted in accordance with the EU regulation that permits them on new cars.
There are those on here that choose to take parts of their statement in isolation in order to prove differently.
DfT always make the point that they do not give legal advice, but bearing in mind that they are the government department that enforces the law, I think you would be very unwise to ignore their advise.
Please note also that although the document is dated 2010, it was their reply to my question this week.
An interesting discussion about the advice given on the forum and what the legislation is and what it is not. I was wondering why you have been in contact with the DfT. Have you had a personal experience related to after market HID which you are able to tell us about. As you have seen on this forum, the installation of after market HID either OEM or not, has become quite popular and it has been discussed several times. Not so much the legalities, more so the "how to", do we install power washers, self levelling, T4 and the ZCS coding ... The list goes on. Your angle is another discussion. I am just wondering has something happened causing you to bring this to the table? Cheers
Old 26th July 2014, 16:41   #23
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Why start yet another thread about the same old DfT document?

The Government make the laws not the DfT.

Contact the DfT and ask them to put in writing that after market HIDs are illegal.....they wont.

Ed

Last edited by capese21; 26th July 2014 at 16:43.. Reason: spelling
Old 26th July 2014, 17:15   #24
Polly
Posted a thing or two

Hi Gate Keeper, no, nothing has happened, other than a few individuals continually claiming on the forum that it is legal to fit oem units. It concerns me that any club should give out inaccurate information.
As a result of a recent discussion, I contacted VOSA, who replied that they won't give legal information, but directed me to DfT. They in turn passed my query to international vehicle standards who replied with the document posted at the start of this thread. Personally I don't care what Joe Blogs does with his car, but I do care when he encourages others to do it, claiming it is legal when I suspect he doesn't actually know.
Various claims have been made on this forum, and I believe these should now be balanced with the view of the DfT, who after all are the people actually charged with enforcing the law.
Much has been made of the fact that the modification passes an MOT, and that no one has ever been charged with anything, but neither make it legal.
perhaps our cars are unique in being so easily converted in this way.
You might note to, that on various occasions I have made the point that their insurance company needs to be informed, but that comment has been completely ignored, so I make my own conclusions, and that could be a very serious matter indeed.
Les.
Old 26th July 2014, 17:22   #25
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Same old, same old. The topic has been discussed on here about a thousand times. As I said earlier, fit and enjoy and forget about all this BS on this tired subject.
Old 26th July 2014, 17:23   #26
Polly
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Why start yet another thread about the same old DfT document?

The Government make the laws not the DfT.

Contact the DfT and ask them to put in writing that after market HIDs are illegal.....they wont.

Ed

They did say its illegal at I think the third paragraph, quoting the road vehicle lighting regulations
However they then go on to say that in their opinion it would be unreasonable to enforce that regulation provided the European one was met.
Old 26th July 2014, 17:33   #27
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
They did say its illegal at I think the third paragraph, quoting the road vehicle lighting regulations
However they then go on to say that in their opinion it would be unreasonable to enforce that regulation provided the European one was met.
So the answer is......................................

Just let it go..............................nice try though
Old 26th July 2014, 17:39   #28
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Lets drop this subject now its been done to death.

Or

Quote:
Ed

Last edited by capese21; 26th July 2014 at 17:42..
Old 26th July 2014, 17:44   #29
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Another thread to be closed.................unless someone sees the light.....................
Old 26th July 2014, 18:04   #30
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Lets drop this subject now its been done to death.

Or

Ed
In total agreement Ed.
Closed Thread