Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th November 2015, 18:48   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
First of all, you'll need to replace the T Piece .... You can find them here:
1.8T T Piece - 75/ZT
Mat,

I'm not a 1.8T expert, but from Cath's description doesn't she mean this part?

Simon
Old 28th November 2015, 20:28   #22
muggerbee
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer (04),75 Saloon (04)

Just to summarise from what I've read, Cath wanted to check her levels/top up the AF , couldn't get the cap open and took it to her local garage to sort it. Junior mechanic tried to open it while hot, got scalded, then his dad overfilled the system which lead to coolant seeping from the cap ( if it was even bled correctly in the first place), they then broke the T piece and diagnosed a HGF !!! Thats a monumental clusterfrog of the first order. Given the amount of trust I'd have in that garage I'd think all thats needed is a new T piece, coolant drain and refill/bleed chuck in a new cap for good measure and send the bill to the original garage. I'm sure there are plenty of members over that end of Liverpool who love 1.8T's that could help Just saying and if they'd like the use of my vat number and invoice to bill the original "mechanic" then thats fine by me ..

2004 Connie SE Tourer Cdti
muggerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 23:15   #23
Simonsmum
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Pressure Problems

The pipe he showed me came from the drivers side maybe from under the engine Said it couldn't be replaced hence why nothing has been done When I went to the garage because he wanted to tell me about the thermostat he was really annoyed which isn't like him and it was a case of the head gasket needs doing and this pipe has just fell off and cant be fixed so you'd be better to scrap it Makes me wonder if his son broke the pipe hence his annoyance Also the screw where you bleed the system the mechanic broke the head on that He knew it wouldn't turn so when he has filled the car previously he just takes the top pipe off the radiator
I had the t junction near the top of the radiator replaced about 3 mths ago
I think I've had most things replaced ha ha

Last edited by Simonsmum; 28th November 2015 at 23:27..
Simonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 23:56   #24
muggerbee
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer (04),75 Saloon (04)

Hi cath

just to say the 1.8 engine is very, very fussy about coolant issues, particularly bleeding air out of the system and it just cannot be done by pulling off the top hose and waiting till water comes out. also the engine needs a specific type of "antifreeze" so i would be concerned about the quality of workmanship and mechanical knowledge right away. To my knowledge it is nigh impossible to snap off the bleed screw from the hose, and to be honest I very much doubt they even knew/know where it is and anyway, if id did happen the solution is to replace the hose if you cannot extract the remains of the screw . I'm sorry to say that from what you have told us (and i won't go into the previous repairs you've had done) that the people you are using may well be "competent" Mechanics with somewhat older machinery however they've trod quite a way into the deep end of this pool and are now ,to be blunt, just lying to cover their arses. IMHO, you need to get the car recovered, inspected, get a repair estimate for their bodges and present them with a bill. they'll lie some more then you'll need to take them to the small claims court in all probability. Don't worry though, it's just a bit of paper and with any luck, just the threat of it will make them pay up. Just don't leave the car with them any longer!!!

Just a thought, do you have access to the car on Sundays ?? I'm in port sunlight about 10am today and could pop over if you'd like.

2004 Connie SE Tourer Cdti

Last edited by Dragrad; 29th November 2015 at 00:31.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
muggerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 00:20   #25
Simonsmum
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I've only told you a little of what's gone on
16 mths ago I had a new clutch fitted I was getting a funny smell 2 mths ago and took it in The clutch was burnt out So told him to do the job In the mean time I got in touch with trading standards who said obviously this was not up to the job and needed replacing completely free Phoned him but after raised voices had to just settle for just getting the clutch free and paying for the labour but he would send the clutch to be independently checked and if the clutch was proved to be faulty I'd get my labour charges back Needless to say I've heard no more He said that was the best he could offer other than that I could just take the car as it was Which I couldn't as he had it in pieces Next day he phones with the news the radiator needs replacing so he still got the price of a new clutch and fitting out of me It was after the radiator was replaced all my problems started

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggerbee View Post
Just a thought, do you have access to the car on Sundays ?? I'm in port sunlight about 10am today and could pop over if you'd like.
Sorry no
He's closed of a weekend Think I need to get it out and just park it on the road so I have access to it all the time

Last edited by Dragrad; 29th November 2015 at 00:31.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Old 29th November 2015, 11:08   #26
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

This is a sad tale indeed, and sods law that the two main issues with these cars are the ones that have caught your mechanic out.
Clutch and cooling issues are very, very common. That said, any competent workshop should be up to changing a clutch, but did they replace it in 3 parts, or just the plate? My local garage ( small independant) charged me just £150, with me supplying the parts.
On the cooling issues, it's desperately sad that they didn't check how the thermostat was fitted, are you paying for their time for this mistake?
They may have snapped the bleed, I've seen it happen before, pulling off the top hose wont shift the air, you need to remove the hose next to the bleed, numerous times. Ideally it needs a new pipe.
Dgmrs on here are a good place for hoses (or anything really). Failing that rimmer brothers do hold much old stock.
You shouldnt drive this more than a few yards ( or more importantly let it get hot), untill you can ensure you wont overheat it.
I would agree with previous posts, go elsewhere for your zt maintenance - any suggestions anyone??
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 11:37   #27
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsmum View Post
I've only told you a little of what's gone on
Cath, stop .... please. I can't take any more of this.
Quote:
Think I need to get it out and just park it on the road so I have access to it all the time
You are absolutely correct here. However, first you will need to reach a settlement with them for any outstanding bill properly charged. This is because there is a legal principle called repairer's lien which allows them not to release your car until you've paid. In any case, it cannot be driven until the broken pipework is accurately identified and replaced. Do you think that they'd co-operate if you asked them to push it outside? Can you leave it legally parked on the street all day and all night?

Another option is to have it recovered by another garage of your choice and repaired there. What did you think of my recommendation of Horner's of Swinton?

My advice is that you go to the garage on Monday morning and try to be factual and brief. Focus on the minimum that needs to be done in order for you to get your car back. As some garages exploit women customers' perceived lack of knowledge, if a male relative or friend is available to accompany you as a witness, I think that will deter them from causing any further trouble.

Keep reminding yourself that your objective is to get the car back with the minimum of fuss. Proper, competent repairs will be carried out elsewhere.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 29th November 2015 at 11:44..
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 12:52   #28
Simonsmum
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I have paid him £60 for the work done to tell me about the thermostat He says its driveable but personally I don't know Its still taxed and insured so ok to be left on the road
Need a mechanic in the Merseyside area
Old 29th November 2015, 13:42   #29
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsmum View Post
I have paid him £60 for the work done ..
If he's happy that you've paid all sums properly demanded then remove your car on Monday morning before he changes his mind or finds something else broken!
Quote:
Its still taxed and insured so ok to be left on the road
I was thinking more of yellow lines Cath.
Quote:
Need a mechanic in the Merseyside area
OK. You could consult Honest John's Good Garage Guide. HJ is a motoring journalist writing for the Telegraph. Entries on his guide are made on the basis of readers' recommendations, not independent professional analysis. Two in Wallasey have come up: Crane Bank Garage in Poulton Road and Windsor's in Harrison Drive. If they sound possibilities, I'd either visit or phone them first to judge their approach to your problem. Only if you're convinced should you make a booking. You know where to come if you need a second opinion on anything they tell you.

Simon
Old 29th November 2015, 16:55   #30
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Does Mat @ DMGRS still use a garage in Southport for doing work on Rover 75's / MG's? Would that not be a better option to get the car fixed correctly?

Tom.