Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th October 2020, 20:01   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Front strut replacement - alignment question

I'm putting the front strut assemblies together - all parts are new.

The top mount will only fit one way because the stud holes on the car and the studs on the top mounts are not equidistant - i.e. distance A is greater than distances B & C.

Similarly, the damper will only fit the hub carrier one way because this small bracket has to line up with the slot on the carrier.

Without spring compressors it's impossible to rotate the top mount in relation to the damper - the correct position has to be set while the spring is still compressed. The question is how?

I can't see a way of doing it - apart from making repeated attempts (all of which are guesswork).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 20:07   #2
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Lightbulb For info

For reference, here's the parts diagram.

And here's the original LH strut assembly still in the hub carrier.

Old 30th October 2020, 21:08   #3
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

That is what the strut top bearing is for. You will be able to rotate the strut top with the unit assembled.
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 21:09   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Pretty sure I just rotate them when I do them (Either that or ive been lucky and they have all lined up 1st time!)
Old 30th October 2020, 21:29   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

You and me both Andy.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 06:20   #6
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

That top mount should turn quite easily when assembled as mentioned above . I have never had an issue .
If you have assembled it and it's solid the investigate the issue or you will end up with a snapped coil spring ver soon after fitting
Old 31st October 2020, 13:38   #7
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Hmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1973 View Post
That is what the strut top bearing is for. You will be able to rotate the strut top with the unit assembled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Pretty sure I just rotate them when I do them (Either that or ive been lucky and they have all lined up 1st time!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
You and me both Andy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by It runs View Post
That top mount should turn quite easily when assembled as mentioned above . I have never had an issue .
If you have assembled it and it's solid the investigate the issue or you will end up with a snapped coil spring ver soon after fitting
Thanks all.

Here's the new RH assembly - all the metal parts have been painted.

I think everything is correct assembly-wise.

Top mount & bearing, isolator and spring all look right to me. The nut is torqued to 55Nm as per RAVE and the top washer is the right way up.

The spring end is as close as it'll go to the stop on the cup.

I've tried lying the assembled unit flat on a carpeted floor, sitting on the cup, and rotating the top mount by hand - it won't budge a millimetre.

This orginal one on the other hand can be rotated very easily (albeit with no spring pushing upward on the bearing).

Here's a pic of the new top mounts before I added a coat of paint.

The only thing I can think of is I've inadvertently got some paint in the joint and it's welded the rotating part of the bearing to the non-rotating part.

The only thing I can do is hang one of the new assemblies on the car (held up with 3 nuts) and try rotating the spring & damper by force. If that doesn't work I'll have to get the compressors out and take them apart again - unless anyone can think of a better idea?

Last edited by Blink; 31st October 2020 at 16:45.. Reason: Text change - 1st pic in this post now identified as RH unit :)
Old 31st October 2020, 16:40   #8
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question How much force is needed to rotate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
........ The only thing I can do is hang one of the new assemblies on the car (held up with 3 nuts) and try rotating the spring & damper by force.
I've just tried this with one assembly and the damper & spring started to rotate after a few big heaves clockwise & anti-clockwise. Now I can rotate it through 120 degrees or so using moderate force with two hands on the spring cup and the bottom coil. I wouldn't say it rotates easily though - e.g. I can't rotate it with one hand (and if I took it off the car again I probably wouldn't be able to rotate it at all).

Question: imagine you've hung a brand new assembly from the three top nuts (#11 here), which you've tightened enough to stop the studs moving. How easily should the assembly rotate:

a) Easily, using one hand on the damper tube?
b) Moderately easily, using two hands on the damper tube?
c) Not easily but it will rotate with two hands on the spring cup and bottom coil?
d) A.N. other?

TIA.
Old 31st October 2020, 18:32   #9
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I've a feeling that once you line up the strut top to the holes in the inner wing and fit that end you'll be easily able to rotate the bottom of the strut to line up the 'fin' with the slot in the hub carrier. I've done this a few times over the years and have never even considered this to be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 15:10   #10
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
I've a feeling that once you line up the strut top to the holes in the inner wing and fit that end you'll be easily able to rotate the bottom of the strut to line up the 'fin' with the slot in the hub carrier. ....
As per the question in post 8, I've already put the top mount studs into the holes and tightened the 3 nuts. The assembly rotates but it doesn't rotate easily. So in my case the answer is c).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Question: imagine you've hung a brand new assembly from the three top nuts (#11 here), which you've tightened enough to stop the studs moving. How easily should the assembly rotate:

a) Easily, using one hand on the damper tube?
b) Moderately easily, using two hands on the damper tube?
c) Not easily but it will rotate with two hands on the spring cup and bottom coil?
d) A.N. other?