Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd November 2013, 10:42   #41
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I am under no illusions having bought my 1.8T Club SE for just £500. Its not perfect and it will require work to keep it trouble free. It was bought to be my daily drive. BUT if you are proactive on the essentials it will help to give you many years of trouble free motoring.

For example. My GTE is 35 years old and in my 10 years of ownership it has broken down only once. Carb needed a refurb so nothing major.
One MOT fail which was a siezed rear brake cylinder. £14

I never get advisories on my cars and only one fail amongst 4 cars which is down to me keeping on top of the essential maintenance and preparing them for MOT.

My MGZS, just sold, was a facelift MK2. Great car in many ways but the overall build quality had been reduced as MG Rover was about to go bust. Cheap to buy and easy to look after. Would have kept it longer but the opportunity of a 75 was too strong to refuse. My wife also could not believe how much I paid for it. She thought I had paid £2500 for it such is the quality of the interior (as we know).

In short, buy a banger and expect bills either by way of preventitive maintenance or faults as they occur. Even a 20k Audi will give you trouble. My mate just had to pay £700 to have his aircon put right on his A4. 09 plate with 40k on the clock.

I rest my case.
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:12   #42
tariq
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Conns

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancar View Post
lol it was not a cheap rant it was the truth there is probable not a 75 or zt out there that has not had a cooling fan problem they all have there faults. as for the gearbox solenoids a few bolts round a plate drop them out and thats it not really major work hour at the most lol.
i tend to stay away because of threads like this they are pointless i have a 12 plate galaxy thats been back to the main dealer 5 times and its only done 13,000 miles. so its not a fact that the 75 is the most unreliable car is wrong they all are lol. there is a saying and its so true all the time you own a car you will never have any money in your wallet they are a bit like kids lol.
simply answer is if you cant afford to run a car or moan about the cost buy a bus pass or a push bike and there is no legal limit on the depth of the tread on you trainers

If only they did buses and pushbikes with leather electric seats...damn!
tariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:56   #43
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

The thing is (I might be speaking only for myself) this is primarily an enthusiasts club. The majority of owners on here (again I could be wrong) DON'T see their cars as 'bangers' or buy them to run a cheap car. Or, for that matter, buy them for practically nothing then complain when they have to tend to faults.
The majority of faults on these cars are well known and have been well documented and in most cases fixed to increase reliability. Yes, it does cost money to maintain them but I don't know of any modern car that doesn't. And as Sean correctly pointed out even a relatively new car can have repeated faults and cost a fortune to keep.
I admit to being biased towards these cars (ZTs in particular) but I think you might find quite a few people who don't consider the 75 as one of the most unreliable cars they've ever owned and who don't actually think of their cars in terms of 'bangernomics' which, to an enthusiast, sounds derogatory at best.
If you like the 75/ZT (as most of us on here do) then great, keep it, look after it and enjoy ownership. If not, buy another marque and enjoy that instead.
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 13:11   #44
persuer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI

I think this thread could go on for an eternity Obviously the op has his opinion, one that is not shared by all the Owners/enthusiasts on here.

Dead horse and flogging comes to mind.

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
persuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 13:39   #45
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I wouldn't say the op was pulling down the cars, he has had bad luck, it happens, I have been there myself. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a car, its not guaranteed to be 100% reliable.
A fine example I have mentioned before, years ago, 1940s or 50s, my Granddad and uncle both bought brand new cars, exactly the same cars from the same dealer and driven away from the garage same day. My Granddad's was a heap of bother from day 1, back and forward to the garage constantly for repairs and faults, he eventually got so sick of it, he
gave it back to the dealer and bought something else.
Whereas my uncle's car ran for years without so much as a hiccup. In theory buying a newer car should be less troublesome, but the above story proves not always.
I have had problems with mine, the same field 3 times in 3 years, but I love the car and the way it drives/looks.
TBH , I have looked at changing to another make, but for my budget, the other makes I like have stupid mileage and are not as nice looking inside as the 75, so I will be sticking with Rover ownership, but changing to an auto next year
Old 3rd November 2013, 13:55   #46
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

IMO, the only car that gives as much in terms of retro styling and performance, is the Jag S type, but don't know what they're like in terms of reliability or parts costs. We have at least 2 owners on the forum who may pick up on this thread, one of whom has already contributed.
Old 3rd November 2013, 14:11   #47
tariq
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Conns

Where the 75 excels is in that i have not seen a rusty one or one with torn battered interior.Even the German cars cannot match this.
Intresting to see how Jag S and X fare.
Lexus are fine but GS and LS too big and IS too small
Old 3rd November 2013, 14:21   #48
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq View Post
Where the 75 excels is in that i have not seen a rusty one or one with torn battered interior.Even the German cars cannot match this.
Intresting to see how Jag S and X fare.
Lexus are fine but GS and LS too big and IS too small
i have 3 rovers and 1 zt on the road a galaxy a transit and a Mazda lol and if you want a reliable car go with the jap cars lol in 2 years all the Mazda has every cost is a battery it sales though its mot every year. the 75s and the zt are great and i love them but they do take a bit of tlc and quite often as for ford would not give you house room. the old transit is ok but thats 18 years old so it was when ford knew how to build things. if you want reliability and low costs go jap
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 14:47   #49
tariq
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Conns

My first 3 cars were Japs and they were very reliable.I knew that in that in the 1980s.My sister had two and they were'nt
Despite sounding wet around the ears i have been around the block and worn the t -shirt!
Not bought an italian or german car.Had a couple of Montegos and nowhere as bad as claimed.
One issue with Japs at time was/is pricey insurance/parts.