Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2020, 18:42   #1
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Default Windscreen wipers wont switch off!

Hello all,
Arrived at work this morning and couldn't seem to turn the windscreen wipers off. played around with the stalk, tuned the ignition off, then tuned on again and all was ok,

Went out at dinner time all ok again.

Got in the car to do the 1 hour drive home, first time I went to wash the screen the wipers wouldn't stop. All the way home an it wasn't NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- raining for once! Stopped to see if they would reset when the ignition was turned off but just came back on again, I also wiggled the wires under the relay box as I had a similar problem on my previous ZT, only with the ZT it was the opposite, they wouldn't turn on, this was a worn through wire.

They were on the medium? screen clear speed, and did not go to intermittent when stopped at lights etc, just the same speed as soon as the ignition was turned on.

Had a good think about it on the way home, and when I tried to clear the screen, no water came out, but there was water in the bottle, so suspected the washer motor signal telling the wipers to clear maybe down to a faulty pump.

When I got home I swapped the two relays, still the same and messed about with the switch and give it a shot of contact cleaner, again, still the same.

I'll check the fuse tomorrow and take a look at the washer motor, hopefully they will stop when this is unplugged. If not I'll get a new one anyway, If this doesn't work may try a second hand stalk, but for now I'm putting my money on something to do with the washer pump motor.

Last edited by CMOORESY; 25th January 2020 at 18:46..
CMOORESY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 19:06   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Maybe? https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...3&postcount=18

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 10:07   #3
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Thanks, That's what I did with the relays when I got home.

I'll check the motor connection this morning, I really hope its this as it appears to be an easy fix, but I'm leaning more to the washer pump as the problem coincided with the pump packing in as well, so the wheel arch liner needed to come out anyway. Also, it is reacting as if the screen wash is activated as it doesn't revert to intermittent when you stop. Will update later.

Update - Not the motor connections, thought this would have been a bit to easy also given the failure mode (washer pump as well), the issue was pointing to that I suppose.

Unplugged to washer motor and the windscreen wipes have remained off and are operating as they should. Managed to get hold of a new pump this morning from General Traffic so will fit that and see what happens. Cant se it not fixing it really - famous last words...

Last edited by CMOORESY; 25th January 2020 at 11:59..
Old 25th January 2020, 18:43   #4
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

This issue has taken me all afternoon.
What a load of ****, not what I want to be doing on a cold damp day in January, god I hate cars!

As mentioned I got an new motor. I had removed the small plastic panel and reached up to un-clip the old motor from the screen wash bottle, could I get the wiring connector off! Had to remove the bumper to do this, although the clip was released the sleeve was that tight around the pump I had to go around it levering it up a millimeter at a time with a small screwdriver till it pulled off. didnt have the access without removing the pigging bumper.

Off to the auto factors before they closed at 13.00, forgot to take the pump. The guy took my reg and got the pump but is was missing the blue outlet. So I mentioned that the original had a an additional blue plastic bit. He said that this should be for the tourers rear wash wipe however the double was also listed for a ZT (not ZTT) so I got it changed for a blue double one like the one that came off.

I had been having problems with the washer bottle since I bought the car just before new year, but just thought that the pump had become loose in the grommet/filter as it was loosing water overnight resulting in having to fill it every journey.

On getting home I realised the blue double outlet was wrong as there was only one pipe available to connect to it (it was for the tourer), so why did I have a double originally fitted?

The other end of the original double was not connected to anything at all, so as the car was stood, it slowly seeped out water until almost empty and there was no more pressure to force it out. When you pulled the stalk you spayed one outlet to your windows and the other sprayed behind the side of the bumper. It was obvious some clown had got to this some time in the past.

Also, the screen wash low level warning was disconnected and just hanging down, this explained why this was coming on even when bottle was full.

Tried the old pump again and it didn't work (in situ) so swapped it out. I fashioned a blanking piece for the black outlet on the new pump and used the blue for the screen washers, effectively converting it to a single outlet. Note this didn't work when tried the other way around, the motor ran but nothing pumped out.

Fitted it all up, and guess what, It didn't work.

Got a bit of wiring and checked both the pumps on a battery and they both worked (so bought a new one for nothing). So checked the fuse. It had blown. No spare 10A in the fuse box and the tweezers were missing, also the 10A for the washer pump was in upside down (as in, the 10A writing was upside down) this was the only fuse that was like this, again indicating that someone had been here before me with a similar issue.

Replaced the fuse with one I got from our Jaguar. and again it blew (Arrrgh) so now had to go out for fuses!
Put another one in, the pump didn't work, but the fuse didn't blow.

Concluded that it had to be wiring. by this time it was starting to get dark. shone a torch up behind the wing and yes, a broken wire that had been rubbing on the bodywork (the purple and white to the pump). Unfortunately, couldn't get to it so I had to remove the O/S light unit.

Repaired the wire and the pump worked, sprayed the windows and the wipers stopped, Finally Fixed.

Unfortunately, too dark to mess about getting the bumper back on, will do this tomorrow morning.

So, all-in-all not my best trouble shooting, was kind of right with my logic around the washer pump but should have checked the fuse sooner.

Tomorrows task (that should have been today's), fit my double din head unit. That's already looking like a nightmare as the surround to tabs wont clear the top of the center console, I cant tilt it enough to get them in.

Last edited by CMOORESY; 25th January 2020 at 22:19..
Old 27th January 2020, 16:34   #5
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Arrrrrrg! The *£^@"+* thing is still leaking even though it had a new motor grommet and the second outlet capped!

Slammed the door that hard in frustration that the door card detached at the top an broke off the door sill plunger.

Can stay like that till I'v calmed down in a few weeks, its already robbed me of last weekend.

When I do it, I think I'll put some toilet blue in it, that way I might stand a chance of seeing where it is coming from.
Old 27th January 2020, 17:46   #6
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Would the second outlet be for headlamp washer jets ?
Second hand pump from a scrapyard ?

Cars can get to you like that, but it is a marvelous feeling when suddenly they start working. It just takes a lot of grey hair to get there !

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited by MarkS; 27th January 2020 at 18:02..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote