Notices

Old 27th December 2019, 18:25   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
ANPR is a lot more than a no tax and insurance reporting system. Its a very sophisticated system useful to law enforcement, the full capabilities of which are not widely publicised for good reason.
I know but it is a good tool in the tax mot etc fight

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019, 18:47   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

One problem with ANPR is that the criminals will drive on cloned plates and therefore defeat the system everytime.

You cannot beat good old fashioned policing, the problem is once again, down to funding.
Old 27th December 2019, 21:19   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
One problem with ANPR is that the criminals will drive on cloned plates and therefore defeat the system everytime.

You cannot beat good old fashioned policing, the problem is once again, down to funding.
criminals may but most drivers wont or rather don't. ANPR will only help with some cases, not all

macafee2
Old 28th December 2019, 08:32   #14
mbev51
Banned

Removed

i'm reassured everytime I visit Morrissons in penrith when I see the same policeman. This is where we are with policing.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 11:07   #15
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Big Brother is watching you almost wherever you go & watching whatever you do......enough said!

With regards to a previous comment regarding automatically fining people who get in the wrong lane at a roundabout, the first thing Council's should do is mark the roads with abundantly clear markings & clear signage because in a lot of areas, that really is atrocious!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 11:56   #16
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

There are too many cars on the road without tax/insurance/mot whatever. There should be no cars on the road in this state because the consequences for legal cars/owners can be severe. Can ANPR completely and effectively police this and totally eradicate illegal drivers? No, probably not, so a system is needed that can, how difficult can that be?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 12:52   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
There are too many cars on the road without tax/insurance/mot whatever. There should be no cars on the road in this state because the consequences for legal cars/owners can be severe. Can ANPR completely and effectively police this and totally eradicate illegal drivers? No, probably not, so a system is needed that can, how difficult can that be?
so what is the system you propose?

macafee2
Old 28th December 2019, 14:13   #18
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I've no idea really, does a detection automatically send a fine in the post? What's the time allowed for an appeal? What sort of resources are needed for a fine/prosecution? How quick and easy is it to detect an offence and process it?
Many questions I don't have an answer to, but I'd like to know, maybe I'll Google it.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 15:23   #19
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Knowing somebody who was fined for driving a car with no tax and received a fine in the post must mean something caught him. He did at night, kept to all the speed limits and was not aware of any police cars. He presumed the ANPR was the culprit. He just paid it and taxed his car the following day.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 15:35   #20
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I don't gave a ready answer, but can give some idea about what is happening.

Called Crime/Offence Inflation as police get frequently changed duties and senior officers have different and differing priorities depending on who is in the chair at Division, resources are chucked at the latest black hole in the name of cultural progress and to maintain position on the greasy pole.

In the light of weekly, monthly and annual figures creating false imperatives from the Home Office, nobody knows their role anymore. Useless anomalies like Crime Commissioners are a fig leaf and only increase costs in the interests of public pandering.

The lower ranks take the blame, the seniors, or some of them, get the promotion. Witness Cressida Dick (Met boss) in her latest venture to the TV studios. How embarrassing for street officers is that.

So long as ANPR cameras maintain a narrow increase on last years figures there won't be any more resources thrown at vehicular offensives. Meanwhile lower rank manpower is lacking and taking the blame. Who'd be a copper now?