Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th January 2020, 19:23   #1
Arron

MG ZT-T

Default K&N Upgrade

I have recently brought my MG ZT-T CDTi and want to fit a K&N filter to it, are in the ones in current air box enough or would it benefit from getting an induction kit set up with a K&N cone filter that's housed in front of the battery rather than stuck in the box? The car will be getting a full long life exhaust system and then be remapped.

Thanks for reading my post and look forward to the responses
Arron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 01:28   #2
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I have a K&N panel filter in my 190 and am happy with it.
It's hard to say if a cone filter would be much better as it picks up it's air from the hot engine compartment where the stock filter housing brings cooler air in from outside.
I have a Pipercross Viper enclosed filter from my MGF and have been tempted to fit it to my ZT190 using the existing fresh air intake but am not sure the benefit (If any) would be worth losing the stock look under the bonnet.
Old 10th January 2020, 08:36   #3
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

I've put K&N filters in every Rovers, panel in KV6 & 214 cab and cone in 25.
I'm happy with that: a bit more expensive but no longer any expense on that side. And very simple to clean once a year which is nearly useless because my K&N don't show very much dust or filth.

A cone is a good bet in my case because all my cars are fuelled with E85 (ethanol) which doesn't fear warmer air (even in Summer - with full E85 coolant swings between 80 & 90°C never more, but in the jammed traffic indeed), on the contrary it brings a little plus that helps spraying the fuel better.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 10th January 2020 at 08:39..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 09:03   #4
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I asked the question about fitting a K&N on my CDTi when I joined recently,
and was told that it wasn't really worth the extra cost on the diesel.

I'll try and find the post and put a link.

I've ran with K&N on most of my petrol Rovers and found it to be a good modification, I have seen that the diesel version is quiet expensive though.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 10:01   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Thumbs down V8 ZT Air Filter

I saw this thread and thought I'd ask if anyone has modified their induction system for the V8 engine.
I just spent too long removing the entire front of the car to gain access to the factory solution which is tucked into the front driver side wing.
Looking at the design, it seems quite restrictive.
Any comments or solutions much appreciated.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 22:02   #6
Arron

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
I have a K&N panel filter in my 190 and am happy with it.
It's hard to say if a cone filter would be much better as it picks up it's air from the hot engine compartment where the stock filter housing brings cooler air in from outside.
I have a Pipercross Viper enclosed filter from my MGF and have been tempted to fit it to my ZT190 using the existing fresh air intake but am not sure the benefit (If any) would be worth losing the stock look under the bonnet.
My thought is that by housing it Infront of the battery it will take in the fresher air from the grill
Old 10th January 2020, 22:47   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
I have recently brought my MG ZT-T CDTi and want to fit a K&N filter to it, are in the ones in current air box enough or would it benefit from getting an induction kit set up with a K&N cone filter that's housed in front of the battery rather than stuck in the box? The car will be getting a full long life exhaust system and then be remapped.

Thanks for reading my post and look forward to the responses
The short answer is no, the reasoning is simple, the standard set up delivers more than sufficient air to supply the needs of the engine, and an oiled filter such as a K&N will deposit aerosol oil particles on the platinum hotwire of the MAF sensor, leading to it's failure.

I've seen the results of K&N filters being used in diesel applications on many occasions, and they are always detrimental.

There simply aren't the issues with filters of that type being used in petrol variant applications, I have K&N filters in my 1800, my 214 and my wife's Freelander, but they are not suitable for the DERV

Welcome along by the way

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 22:49   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Somewhere On I think it was utube they swapped an ordinary air filter for a cone K&N. Suffice to say it lost somewhere in the region of around 4 BHP. So........ don’t waste your time is my opinion.
Old 15th January 2020, 19:25   #9
Arron

MG ZT-T

Thanks for the messages I think I'll stay away from the cone idea
Old 15th January 2020, 19:27   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I saw this thread and thought I'd ask if anyone has modified their induction system for the V8 engine.
I just spent too long removing the entire front of the car to gain access to the factory solution which is tucked into the front driver side wing.
Looking at the design, it seems quite restrictive.
Any comments or solutions much appreciated.
Depending on what you fit, you can actually reduce the BHP fitting the cold air kit!