Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th January 2020, 10:43   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Oil change & filter twice per year irrespective of mileage, spring and Autumn, average miles per year is most likely 6,500 PCV filter done also at the same time.

few photo's of what the chains look like on the M47.

Tensioner

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 19th January 2020 at 10:49.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 14:59   #12
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

I thought to replace the original chain drive on my 1956 motorcycle magneto. The new one wouldn't fit as good as the old one. They run in grease and I'd personally covered over 70k on the bike. Still running the old chain as it had almost imperceptible pin wear.

Note that many people check chain wear incorrectly and look at "bend". To check chain wear, thoroughly degrease/de-oil and check "stretch" on a smooth level surface. There will be a specified limit for the chain from "compressed" to "stretched" depending on the number of pins and size of the chan (1/4" etc.).

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 18:00   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Here you go guys, I took a pic of my 250,000 mile timing chain while the rocker cover was removed today.

Old 19th January 2020, 18:53   #14
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I remember testing some micro filtration bypass oil filters on our commercials in the 1980's. Basically, you fitted a T piece at the oil pressure switch and some of the pressurised oil ran through the micro filter and back into the sump via a tube fitting. The oil never then seemed to get dirty (dipstick oil was as clean as when you put it in). We tried fitting one on an old Marina van (without changing the oil) and the old oil became almost clear after a one journey of around 200 miles! The micro filters were changed regularly but the oil could be left for longer intervals. The old oils were tested after huge mileages and were still well within spec. The only downside was one of the tubes leaked, so the system was scrapped (on the recommendation of a set in his ways transport manager)! I don't know if they are still available.
Here's one similar.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 19th January 2020 at 18:56..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 20:27   #15
theoldcodger
the Old Codger

Rover 75 Saloon

I change oil & filter at the end of summer & the end of winter. ZAt a cost of £25 it is worth doing!
theoldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 20:30   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The chains on the M47R rarely give any issue Paul, regular oil changes (As with anything mechanical) Always benefit.

No adjusting required, the spec says they are good for 250,000 miles, but as we know they go on a lot longer (Just ask Mike Noc)
Hi Andy. Watch your speed. You beat me by a minute.
Old 19th January 2020, 20:40   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Oil change & filter twice per year irrespective of mileage, spring and Autumn, average miles per year is most likely 6,500 PCV filter done also at the same time.

few photo's of what the chains look like on the M47.

Tensioner

To my eyes, I know I wear glasses but if I take them off it’s like I have a magnifying glass, those chains what you can see, don’t look to bad. How many miles had they done Steve?
Old 19th January 2020, 23:46   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
To my eyes, I know I wear glasses but if I take them off it’s like I have a magnifying glass, those chains what you can see, don’t look to bad. How many miles had they done Steve?
Hi David
About 90,000 I think this is the engine that would not start after the crank pulley change so nowt wrong with the chains, as already stated in another thread taking it apart just to see what may have caused the problem, and keep any decent parts of it before it goes to scrap man.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 14:33   #19
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
I'm a V6 man as many will know, so have little experience of the diesel chain driven M47R engines.

My question is do the chain driven units need no maintenance or changing whatsoever in the life of the car?

I ask because the wife has just bought a 2012 Audi A1 1.4 Petrol TFSI which has a chain driven cam rather than the later model belt driven one. Looking on the Audi forums and honest John, it suggests that the chain drive can be troublesome and become loose or snap if not regularly checked and that the engine needs fresh oil every 12 months if its chain driven.

Are the Rover 75 CDTi's the same here then or are they much lower maintenance?

I guess from reading the web, you only hear of the bad cases, and that the vast majority of chain driven cars have no issues?

Do our diesel 75s and ZTs ever need their chains replacing / checking / adjusting? Any experience on this would be great

Various engines have problems with timing chains Paul - I had a Triumph Stag back in the day and when I checked the tensioner it was one notch away from falling out altogether, so lucky I got to it just in time. More recently BMW had many failures of the timing chains with the earlier 1 Series diesels.

Bit like head gaskets; on some cars they last the lifetime of the engine and on others they don't.

Luckily for us owners, the M47R engines have timing chains that appear to last the lifetime of the engine. I stripped one down that had done 188k miles and there wasn't any appreciable wear on any component.

They need regular servicing of course. Much as I usually change oil and filters earlier than recommended, with my car, as it was originally a company car and was serviced according to the manufacturer's schedule, I have carried on changing oil and filter every 15k miles.

To date, nothing lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced and the engine runs fine and sounds fine too. The only clue to the high mileage is that the oil light takes a tad longer to go out from a cold start than it did when new. Not bad for an engine that has covered over 400k miles.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote