Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th January 2022, 09:35   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Martin,

Following on from Ray's explanation, there are also the steering wheel controls to consider. Is your proposed Pioneer unit compatible with those? Also your Symphony sends a signal to the aerial "amplifier" (on the D post) to switch elements in and out depending upon radio transmission signal strength. You will most likely lose that facility so radio reception will be poorer.

The Symphony is a very good system Martin. Why do you want to dispense with it? If you're seeking higher sound quality then upgrading the standard speakers is what I'd recommend.

Simon
Old 25th January 2022, 10:36   #12
Oldmowgli

2002 Rover 75 Tourer KV6, Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
The CD player connected to the Symphony uses the K-Bus to communicate, which aftermarket stereos and CD players can't. Their connection is direct by cable between the two, the blue connector and cables in it are not needed.
Hi Ray,
really appreciate your advice, and sorry if I appear dumb, but this is still not 100% clear to me.

When you say the CD player uses the K-Bus to communicate, do you mean to say that it can ONLY connect via K-Bus, so it will not be possible to connect it via any form of wired input to the new aftermarket head unit ?

ie: is the old CD autochanger junk without retaining the Symphony head unit?

thanks

Martin
Oldmowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 10:56   #13
Oldmowgli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Martin,

Following on from Ray's explanation, there are also the steering wheel controls to consider. Is your proposed Pioneer unit compatible with those? Also your Symphony sends a signal to the aerial "amplifier" (on the D post) to switch elements in and out depending upon radio transmission signal strength. You will most likely lose that facility so radio reception will be poorer.

The Symphony is a very good system Martin. Why do you want to dispense with it? If you're seeking higher sound quality then upgrading the standard speakers is what I'd recommend.

Simon
I need / want to install a modern touch screen Double Din unit for a whole host of reasons, Simon.

I have the steering wheel controls sorted via a Connect2 SWC adaptor kit.

Retaining the CD Autochanger as well would just be a useful extra for me as I am a nostalgic luddite. But it won't be the end of the world.

In any event I'm assuming many other people will have connected new head units to the other (main) antenna cable successfully.

regards

Martin
Old 25th January 2022, 11:10   #14
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Yes, the Symphony and its CD player can only communicate using the K-Bus, which aftermarket systems cannot, they will have a direct cable connection.
If your replacement unit has a 12v output on pin 5 of the ISO connector when switched on, (Purple/Yellow cable in the Grey ISO connector), it will feed the aerial amplifier.

Last edited by raykay; 25th January 2022 at 11:12..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 11:43   #15
Oldmowgli

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Yes, the Symphony and its CD player can only communicate using the K-Bus, which aftermarket systems cannot, they will have a direct cable connection.
If your replacement unit has a 12v output on pin 5 of the ISO connector when switched on, (Purple/Yellow cable in the Grey ISO connector), it will feed the aerial amplifier.
Crystal clear on the CD unit now, thanks Ray.

I'll check out pin 5, but assuming worst case, that it may not have a 12v output present, could I just unpin the Purple / Yellow wire from the Grey connector and run a dedicated switched feed to it to feed the aerial amplifier when the head unit is powered up ?

Martin
Old 25th January 2022, 15:50   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default The Diversity system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmowgli View Post
I'll check out pin 5, but assuming worst case, that it may not have a 12v output present, could I just unpin the Purple / Yellow wire from the Grey connector and run a dedicated switched feed to it to feed the aerial amplifier when the head unit is powered up ?
Hi Martin,

Unfortunately some confusion has crept in here! Although MG Rover describes the module on the D post as an aerial "amplifier", its principal function is to switch between three separate FM aerial elements to maintain a strong signal input to the Symphony. It does this by means of a control signal sent from the Symphony to the aerial "amplifier". This signal is the Symphony's IF (Intermediate Frequency), which my memory is telling me is 10.7 MHz, and this is carried on the separate small diameter coaxial cable which you may have noticed plugged into the rear panel of your Symphony. This clever system is called Diversity.

So unless your Pioneer unit has this Diversity system I'm afraid that you will notice poor FM radio reception out of strong signal areas. However if your Pioneer is DAB then Diversity won't function anyway and that may raise other questions regarding the suitability of the rear screen aerial.

Since the aerial feed passes through the aerial "amplifier" I expect that you will have to make sure that it is powered via the pin 5 feed which Ray has described otherwise you may get little or no signal at all.

Yes, you are correct to say that other people have done what you are planning. It's also true to say that their radio reception may well have suffered as a result if their original system was a Symphony or a Hi-Line radio.

I hope that makes it a little clearer but if not please let me know.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 25th January 2022 at 15:54..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 20:23   #17
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

when i changed my symphony unit for a kenwood (which are the same manufacturer as pioneer ) i had hopes of reconnecting my glove box CD changer. unfortunately not. rayk was very helpful whilst fitting mine and i got around my issue by extending my USB port from behind the set and fitted a usb plug into the dash at the side of the glove box. no more CD hassle for me now and all on USB stick. hundreds of songs on mine with plenty of memory left.steering controls fine same as you... connects 2 ) i had no problems with DAB after fitting the screen dab ariel. and plugged in as normal with the existing coax at the rear. no reception issues. i doubt you will get the CD changer to work as i think internals will be different to the aftermarkets as ray has pointed out. your choice of course ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 20:31   #18
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Not sure if you have a very modern pioneer unit to fit, but my kenwood did have an option in its menu to supply voltage to amplify the input supply of the coax via the unit itself. i did not use this option as my reception was fine, but it was there to use. just a bit of extra info for you. .....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2022, 13:37   #19
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

I don't know how to link to an older post, but I found this yesterday, originally posted by hrissim and Macafee2.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=280437&page=2
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote