Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th June 2020, 15:25   #21
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Here is the one I threw away, only to get it out of the bin, only for a few mins honest.

That is as far as I could push the top stud over, and that's the fubar'd one
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2020, 15:50   #22
alan richard
Avid contributor

75 Tourer cdti

That's a handy plate in your vice - I must make one.

I can't stretch mine that far but then I don't know how tough your thumb is!
alan richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2020, 16:44   #23
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Made that plate some time in the 70's when I was an apprentice.

That thumb, what you can't see is my hand shaking as I was pushing as had as I could. Although if I had tried that when that plate was new I'm sure I could have pushed it over more .

Why did my wife see the 'c r a p' on the bench, but you only saw the plate
This is where the rubber has split, from the same photo as above

Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 25th June 2020, 19:12   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Assuming the fluid inside is some kind of oil to allow for damping of the engine, then it would be reasonable.to.assume that once the weight of the engine is applied, the sloshing would decrease. The amount of fluid also it would.contain, along with the material it is made from, I imagine would be relative to the engine that it is designed for.

So with the above in mind, again 'assuming' it to be fit for purpose, could it be that it was designed for a heavier engine (more compression, less space for fluid, therefore, unladen, more sloshing?)..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 06:30   #25
alan richard
Avid contributor

75 Tourer cdti

@sln8458 - Tell yer wife all I see is useful stuff on your bench! 2nd row of holes - Whitworth or UNC?

@clf - Glycol filled as I understand it but I don't know much about them. If it has 2 chambers in it then it could act like a shock absorber as it squishes about, I guess.
Not sure about Air/ glycol - air would compress and add a bit of bounce.
Just guessing really.

a
alan richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 08:54   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

This from Steve1966, one of the Rover development engineers who worked on engine mounts, explains how the glycol aids the damping effect, and I would have thought any air in the chambers will negate the resonance effect of the glycol, and the result of his finger test.

The fluid is not in the main rubber sections that take the weight of thegearbox. It is around the periphery of the bush. If you press the soft rubber beneath the insert where the bolt goes with your finger you will notice the rubber at the top of the bush puff out a little. The fluid goes into resonance when it is excited by the small displacement over bumps in the road (usually tuned to be around 12 hz). It is this resonance that creates the damping.

Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 09:17   #27
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan richard View Post
@sln8458 - Tell yer wife all I see is useful stuff on your bench! 2nd row of holes - Whitworth or UNC?

My garage is FULL of useful stuff, that's why the car is on the drive

There is the start of a 3rd row of holes, sorry but they are ALL metric in that plate, which was fortunate as the studs are M12

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 26th June 2020, 09:31   #28
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I have fitted a few of the hydro mounts & have never heard any sloshing sounds from them failed or new, the worst i seen was the one below V6 had leaked a rusty colour substance from it due to failing over time.

I would presume to water intake

This diesel one was changed due to the owner noticing a little degradation in the rubber but no knocking.

I was informed that the car felt a lot better to drive after the change over.

This is the hydro mount from that car above, and it still seems fine to me, no sloshing sounds come from it.

Also the thread can not be pushed over to 3/4 either way.

Lets remember that most these hydro mounts being purchased as OEM for (SAIC Motor) will not be for the diesel engine but for the petrol engines

Shaking Stevens.
https://youtu.be/cxe-5oaDdfQ

Diesel
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001744

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-KKB101923

1800 petrol engine.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-KKB101903

V6 petrol engines
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-KKB101914

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 26th June 2020 at 12:21.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 10:51   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan richard View Post

@clf - Glycol filled as I understand it but I don't know much about them. If it has 2 chambers in it then it could act like a shock absorber as it squishes about, I guess.

Not sure about Air/ glycol - air would compress and add a bit of bounce.

Just guessing really.

a
What I was wondering about, like the teardrop engine mount, there are sellers selling them.for universal fitment,likewise sellers selling cheap 'knock off' alternatives (like all car parts). So possibly either a mount designed for another engine type, or a cheap alternative. If a cheap alternative it could tear itself apart quickly. If the incorrect one, it could transmit vibratations more than it should?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 11:09   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
What I was wondering about, like the teardrop engine mount, there are sellers selling them.for universal fitment,likewise sellers selling cheap 'knock off' alternatives (like all car parts). So possibly either a mount designed for another engine type, or a cheap alternative. If a cheap alternative it could tear itself apart quickly. If the incorrect one, it could transmit vibratations more than it should?

Absolutely Alan, the shore hardness of the rubber in petrol and diesel models is entirely different, and the silicone glycol mixture different too.

I drained both a used diesel one, and one from a V6, and measured the viscosity in Redwood seconds (can't lay my hands on the figures at the moment) however fluid recovered from the diesel one was considerably more viscous than that of the petrol at 21 degrees C

The top and bottom of the matter is simple, if an item is cheap, even if it looks the part, this doesn't ensure that it's fit for purpose.

The V6 mount although dimensionally identical to the diesel one, the one which I fitted prior to the purchase of a genuine Rover diesel mount from XPart, transmitted huge amounts of vibration in comparison to the correct part that was removed.

In the case of all of the mounts, two were original factory fit, none of which were Chinese manufacture, none made a sloshing noise when shaken.

I'm fairly certain that if there were air present inside the unit, this would be detrimental to the operation, air being compressible, and fluid not so, the damping action of the mount being compromised as a result.

Personally speaking I wouldn't fit the mount as supplied, instead I would source one from XPart, and know that at least the supplier had been subject to some form of objective scrutiny

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote