Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st October 2021, 04:50   #11
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Just wanted to provide some info on spam emails. You must know that in "from" field you can put whatever you like and the mail sent to you will look like the mail is sent from someone you might know. All of this is possible due to format and protocols of emails which are vulnerable for this kind of scam or spam. Unfortunately only thing you can do is what you did to block the mails which have in "from" field dedicated email address.

However this do not mean that person whos email address is in "from" field has hacked email or that person or his computer has anything to do whit these scam/spam mails.

This only means someone got your destination email under some form of attack mimicking like mails are coming from someone who is known to you but that person is completely unaware of this and his email account is not hacked.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 06:15   #12
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
can the management please look into this, is it a coincidence ? who knows does Bruce know his email is being used in the way? lots of questions but no answers
I’ve been talking with Christopher about this, he’s the guru on such matters. As stated, it’s not Bruce’s email address that these are originating from, but instead his name (or coincidentally a name that matches his) is being placed over the originating email address that sends you the spam.

This is why we don’t let members publish their full email addresses on the open forum as there are scammers out there always looking to harvest such info by simply reading posts they see. It’s conceivable that a members user name could be used too, but as the majority of us have forum nicknames rather than our full names, it’s unlikely especially in Bruce’s case as he uses egremont on the boards.

It is possible that anyone’s email address if used on the net to reply to certain websites or online shops etc, could then be harvested and sold to third party mailing lists as destination mailboxes for their own spamming activities. And consider also, if ones PC or device isn’t adequately protected with anti virus software, their email address book could be accessed and used by scammers. I’m not necessarily saying that’s the case with Bruce, although it might be

In short, it’s a sad fact of modern life that people do this sort of thing, but as far as the club and forums are concerned it’s not something brought about by our systems being hacked as we have secure server protocols and don’t let members publish their email addresses in the open on posts.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 09:19   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
I’ve been talking with Christopher about this, he’s the guru on such matters. As stated, it’s not Bruce’s email address that these are originating from, but instead his name (or coincidentally a name that matches his) is being placed over the originating email address that sends you the spam.

This is why we don’t let members publish their full email addresses on the open forum as there are scammers out there always looking to harvest such info by simply reading posts they see. It’s conceivable that a members user name could be used too, but as the majority of us have forum nicknames rather than our full names, it’s unlikely especially in Bruce’s case as he uses egremont on the boards.

It is possible that anyone’s email address if used on the net to reply to certain websites or online shops etc, could then be harvested and sold to third party mailing lists as destination mailboxes for their own spamming activities. And consider also, if ones PC or device isn’t adequately protected with anti virus software, their email address book could be accessed and used by scammers. I’m not necessarily saying that’s the case with Bruce, although it might be

In short, it’s a sad fact of modern life that people do this sort of thing, but as far as the club and forums are concerned it’s not something brought about by our systems being hacked as we have secure server protocols and don’t let members publish their email addresses in the open on posts.
Hi Paul & Roverlike.
Thank you for your quick response in explaining what might be happening, it just seems a coincidence that i do not get any of these emails once i have blocked them and reported them as Phishing emails, then once Bruce (egremont) as posted on the forum i start getting them once again.

i had two yesterday and have had one so far today.

I will most likely stop getting them again in a few days for weeks on end until the above happens, its a good job this PC i use is a stand alone PC for car forums only and nothing else.

I also run malware and windows security etc everyday just baffling how it seems to happen.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:34   #14
Herbert75
Regular poster

Rover 75 connoisseur

Hello arctic hope your ok if you are the correct person we met at the water wheel meet earlier this month you said you may be able to supply me with a club badge from your bits n pieces so if you can bring it along to the next meet that would be most appreciated see you there hopefully Herbert 75
Herbert75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:57   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert75 View Post
Hello arctic hope your ok if you are the correct person we met at the water wheel meet earlier this month you said you may be able to supply me with a club badge from your bits n pieces so if you can bring it along to the next meet that would be most appreciated see you there hopefully Herbert 75
Hi Mark.
You must have me mixed up with someone else as i was not at that meet Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Old 24th October 2021, 10:00   #16
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert75 View Post

You would be best posting up in the wanted section for badges, or anything else.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 13:10   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I haven't had any spam emails for a long time. Used to quite enjoy hearing from the window of the late General of the Nigerian Army.

Perhaps she's found a more deserving admirer.
Window ???---Touch of Proof reading required perhaps.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 13:31   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Window ???---Touch of Proof reading required perhaps.---

Why has it taken the proof reader so long to spot this error?
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2021, 22:17   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Why has it taken the proof reader so long to spot this error?
Sorry. I can't stop myself. I proof read everything I see on here.

Not a lot of folks notice but if I reply to a post that has errors I correct them in my reply.

If you opened any of the many books I read you would find corrections in spelling and grammar in nearly all of them.---I'm addicted.------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2022, 08:49   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post

This is why we don’t let members publish their full email addresses on the open forum as there are scammers out there always looking to harvest such info by simply reading posts they see. It’s conceivable that a members user name could be used too, but as the majority of us have forum nicknames rather than our full names, it’s unlikely especially in Bruce’s case as he uses Egremont on the boards.

Hi Paul.
I note that ( Egremon ) on the boards as started a thread that he as once again had a Massive Cyber Attack, and is informing members not to open emails from him.

As above he is a blocked person on my forum list and will remain so until he can either prove it's not him or he as sorted out his troubles, i have not opened any of his posts on here since 2020 -2021 and up to date, as i found if you did then you would get all the jink coming through.

He admits about having this done before and as informed on here it's now happened again.

ad altiora tendo.