Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd January 2020, 14:33   #311
cosmin

BMW

In test mode the metering pump ticks for few seconds, then i get the fuel pump short circuit and it stops.
The metering pump is using 2,4A at 12V, the 21w bulb is using 1,8A. But no change in board behaviour.

I think this board is doomed. After few tests, now i have again glow plug interruption and 1ohm resistor is fried.

Last edited by cosmin; 24th January 2020 at 16:15..
cosmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 19:05   #312
buckis

rover75

Default Circuit diagram

Hy anybody has data for capacitors near canbus IC next to 4.7K resistors.Thanks
buckis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 20:01   #313
buckis

rover75

FrenchMike do you have circuit diagram of control boar, i am looking for some info about capacitors
buckis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2020, 05:33   #314
cosmin

BMW

I think they are about 2,5nF. The value is not chritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmin View Post
In test mode the metering pump ticks for few seconds, then i get the fuel pump short circuit and it stops.
The metering pump is using 2,4A at 12V, the 21w bulb is using 1,8A. But no change in board behaviour.

I think this board is doomed. After few tests, now i have again glow plug interruption and 1ohm resistor is fried.
Problem was AGAIN the 14N05 transistor for the glow plug error and finnaly the microprocessor for the metering pump error. Replaced the processor and now everything's back to normal.
cosmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 23:13   #315
SimonP

None at the moment

Good evening,
A search for schematics and other information led me to the club forum and this thread. What a wealth of information!
A massive thank you to those that have posted over the years!
I've read all the way through over the past few days, going over some information but still need to ask some questions.
I have two FBH, one is from a Rover 75 and the other from a Range Rover L322.
The Rover 75 unit did work but became more intermittent.
I swapped the ECU onto the L322 unit, symptoms were the same so pointing to an ECU issue. I was unable to communicate with it using WTT.
Only a couple of days ago I learned I was using the incorrect setting, should be "BMW".

With the Rover 75 unit I removed the massive blobs of silastic steadying the electrolytic capacitors and found the 4k75 resistor near the centre one open circuit, so replaced it. This seems to have fixed the fan fault.
The others near the Elmos bus IC tested ok.
Since removing the silastic I now seem to have a glow plug/flame monitor open fault.

I have seen post some pages back where someone had a schematic and parts list from Hella. I would very much like to get hold of this info to help me repair my FBH ECU.

The Range Rover unit obviously would not respond to +12V on pin 1 but does (now I know to use the BMW setting) allow me to connect via WTT and successfully run all component tests. Just not start the heater.
I removed the silastic on this unit too, the blobs were much smaller, about the size of a pea and there were no signs of corrosion.

Researching on the Range Rover unit, it would seem that it is possible to change the BMW units from analog switching to bus controlled and vice versa, BMW TIS explains which setting to choose versus production break if replacing a heater.
Problem is, I cannot get my scan tool (Topdon ArtiMini) to communicate with it. I've used a breakout box to interface with the heater.
Before investing in INPA, I would like to know if it is possible to communicate with FBH "off the car" with it.
Robinson Labs offer the service but I haven't had a response from them so am looking to change the function of the unit myself.

I would like to get at least one FBH up and running, if I can get the other one running too, it will do nicely in my workshop for next winter!

Thanks

Simon.
SimonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2021, 20:48   #316
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonP View Post

Since removing the silastic I now seem to have a glow plug/flame monitor open fault.
Have you actually checked the glow pin itself? It is too low a resistance for most people to have the equipment to test it, but if you connect it (carefully) across 12v, it should quite rapidly get red hot. If it does that, it will be a reasonable assumption that it should also work for flame detection too.

If it has failed, then I was not able track down a replacement source, apart from maybe taking one from a scrap unit.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2021, 21:56   #317
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

If you can get the car hooked up to a professional OBD scanner they will talk to the FBH.
My Launch 431 tells me the resistance of the glow plug and the combustion fan and dosing pump can be tested in forced output menus 😉

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2021, 17:49   #318
SimonP

None at the moment

An update on this one...
Got a reply from Robinson Labs, they apologised for not responding - server problems.
They reprogrammed my L322 Range Rover board to work as per the 75, replaced the two electrolytics too, so that unit is now up and running in my car.
They repaired my 75 board with the glow plug fault, quite a few SMD components plus the electrolytics and reinstated the conformal coating.
So I'm very happy with the outcome.
I've also picked up a stainless steel enclosure for the workshop heater project with the spare unit.

Simon.
SimonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:46   #319
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Mike.
Long belated thank you for sorting out the two PCB for our FBH we have, hopefully we will have time to get them fitted before the cold weather sets in over here cheers Arctic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
Well Steve,i think the first frost will recall you it's time to fit

Cheers

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
Yes Walter ,here is the Harry's How to service :

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=100297

And the parts can be found here:

https://www.butlertechnik.com/webast...9017813b-p1646

Good luck
Mike
FBH still going strong after 5.5 years but in another home now

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2021, 08:01   #320
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
FBH still going strong after 5.5 years but in another home now

Hi Steve,
Do you run that on std diesel or are you using red diesel or Veg oil/Bio Diesel?

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote