Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th November 2021, 13:18   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Thank you for educating me in VAT law, I am well aware that taxes were paid locally, before our independence from Europe (ie Brexit), what I am not aware of and still not told is the level of taxation in general levied on goods purchased within the EU, at the time of making a purchase, only to find out that the delivery courier will only deliver after you have paid some obscene amount of UK tax, levied by the current government.
May be that is what YOU voted for!, I certainly did not.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tariffs-...ed-into-the-uk

all the details are in there, although you may have to look up the relevant import duty rates. Some categories are quite straightforward, others can be a bit vague (from experience car suspension parts are listed, but a subframe is not, is it a chassis component, or a suspension component?)

Not being part of the EU any longer, means you should be able to claim any purchase taxes back if they were charged to you by the seller in the originating country - this has always been the case for decades. (I used to have to supply the relevant paperwork to visitors from non EU countries when I worked in retail).

Quote:
lol, that's democracy for you?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 6th November 2021, 13:36   #22
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
I meant well in my original post, and yes I do blame the current government for the mess this country is in, in everyway possible way, they are supposed to be in charge are they not?, I certainly couldn't care less what people in other countries have to pay in tax, but I do in the UK, we all pay enough taxes period.
It is people not questioning anything that has led us to this state the country is in, and the politicians are laughing at us.
yes they are meant to be in charge but there are so many people in the UK that wont do as they are told and anyone not doing as they are told(even not obeying the rules) makes it very difficult for those in charge.

What responsibility do you place on use the public for the state we are in? Surly you do not think that we are all blame free.

macafee2
Old 6th November 2021, 13:52   #23
Herbert75
Regular poster

Rover 75 connoisseur

Is this not longbridge closed its doors because the British public chose to buy foreign cars instead never mind build quality excuse you should support the country you live in.
After all we expect the nhs to look after us but that won’t run on freash air it requires in part the success of industry
So shop at home No excuse !!
Old 6th November 2021, 13:59   #24
Herbert75
Regular poster

Rover 75 connoisseur

Why ....... is the missing word folks lol
Old 6th November 2021, 14:37   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
............You can always move country if you like the EU so much.
Come on, that's not very sporting of you.

Member grivas and the rest of you fine body of people have missed the best solutions and the way forward,

One is to not buy items from EU countries. The other, and perhaps most useful, is that grivas has to simply make friends with Andrea Leadsom. She'll happily start a parliamentary motion to do away with VAT and import duties in order to 'achieve justice' for a friend!

PS - this not a political statement. I am just doing my best to advise members for their benefit based on current trends.

Old 6th November 2021, 14:57   #26
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
yes they are meant to be in charge but there are so many people in the UK that wont do as they are told and anyone not doing as they are told(even not obeying the rules) makes it very difficult for those in charge.

macafee2

I agree Ian. I mean, these damn standards commissioners think they are there to uphold standards. What next - off with their heads. Poor Andrea, my new friend.
Old 6th November 2021, 15:34   #27
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
So much for independence and freedom from Europe, to discover that our government is now sticking it to us in VAT and import duties, well done the Tories, lets give these beauties another term in office why not.

Steady on chaps. Last month I posted a pic of the Honiton Conservative Office in Honiton next to a poster advertising "Clairvoyance meeting on Monday." Everyone else thought it was a huge joke but it was speedily removed by The Mods and I was warned "This infraction is worth 3 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire."

Anyone else incurred the wrath?
Old 6th November 2021, 15:57   #28
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for educating me in VAT law, I am well aware that taxes were paid locally, before our independence from Europe (ie Brexit), what I am not aware of and still not told is the level of taxation in general levied on goods purchased within the EU, at the time of making a purchase, only to find out that the delivery courier will only deliver after you have paid some obscene amount of UK tax, levied by the current government.
Its called swings and roundabouts. I have bought items from Autodoc Germany,and other countries other than GB. As soon as we left the EU, the prices went up, as did the time it took to arrive from Germany. It is nothing new. It may, with a bit of forethought by the Billionaires and entrepreneurs living in this country of ours, make them think of others rather than themselves for a change, and invest in making items here for a change. I am not going to hold my breath on that thought. Just a small practicality I do now, is I do not buy things that are made in China. Full stop. There are other suppliers ,and they usually produce better quality items than China.
Old 6th November 2021, 16:01   #29
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
This discussion should be somewhere else.
Not necessarily car related, certainly not 75 or ZT and it's political.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Well said. If you want to talk about the benefits of Brexit can yous not do it somewhere else
Old 6th November 2021, 17:33   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Steady on chaps. Last month I posted a pic of the Honiton Conservative Office in Honiton next to a poster advertising "Clairvoyance meeting on Monday." Everyone else thought it was a huge joke but it was speedily removed by The Mods and I was warned "This infraction is worth 3 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire."

Anyone else incurred the wrath?

Perhaps you've left the warning a bit late?

In any case, I am with the mods on that. And I am not just saying this to avoid getting some points. Fancy posting such profanity on the forum!

Last edited by MSS; 6th November 2021 at 17:51..
Closed Thread