Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2021, 12:42   #21
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Took the old girl for an MOT this morning and she passed. Advisory on front disc wear but everything else was OK.

Jacked up and span the other rear (offside) wheel and spun it several times and can't hear anything untoward.

The ticking noise seems so convincing that it is coming from the rear and stops on even the slightest application of the foot brake.
larryr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2021, 18:36   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr123 View Post
Took the old girl for an MOT this morning and she passed. Advisory on front disc wear but everything else was OK.

Jacked up and span the other rear (offside) wheel and spun it several times and can't hear anything untoward.

The ticking noise seems so convincing that it is coming from the rear and stops on even the slightest application of the foot brake.
I am at a loss. Did the sound change or move when you changed the wheels around?

The only other possibility I can think of, is the balls or needles (not sure what is in them) in the bearing, are slightly dry, and moving around against each other. A little more grease into the bearing and then it would disappear if it was this. As the brake is applied, it will firm up the disc on the hub, and add pressure on the balls/needles, therefore stopping them from clicking.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 15:32   #23
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Slight pause on this one guys - I caught Covid. Had all the high temperature and headaches etc - slowly returning to normal (well I've never been normal but as near as damn it) and I'll be back tackling this annoying knocking in the back of the car.
I wonder if someone got trapped under the spare wheel compartment and is trying to get out?

Regards Larry
Old 13th November 2021, 06:46   #24
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Have you looked at the brake discs? The pads will make them shiny, but around the edge, and the centre, there will be rust. Sometimes this is enough for the pads to catch. Don't oget to check either side of each disc. I usually just chip mine off with light taps from a hammer,
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 22:43   #25
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi Stewart, yes, when I fitted the new backplate and complete new brake pad mechanism, I took the time to file off all the rough edges on both sides of the disk. The disc itself was also not in bad condition, not much scoring, and passed through the MOT.

I'm wondering if a quick test might be to swap in a new hub to see if there is either an ABS sensor reading problem on the ABS ring embedded in the hub, or if the Hub bearing is making the noise when under load?
When spinning the wheels with the car jacked up (either rear wheels) there is no obvious ticking/knocking noise, but the bearings is not under load then.

The thing that gives me doubt on that though is that the noise stops on braking.
Covid's easing off a bit now and feeling a bit better each day - should be able to get to look at this toward the end of this week.

Regards Larry
Old 19th November 2021, 11:33   #26
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Possibly cracked it.
I suspected the possibility of a loose brake pad catching on the rim.
Bought myself a set of decent Meyle pads and stripped the calliper down.

The old pads, whilst having plenty of meat on them, were heavily scored on the outer part of the rim in the case of the inner pad and on the inner section of the rim on the outside pad. They didn't appear loose, and the clip on the inner pad was intact.
I noticed that the pads didn't have an anti noise layer on the backs. Cheap pads probably. I blame the guy who fitted them last time

I spend a lot of time running a file around the outer edge of the rim disc on both inside and outside edges. Did the same on the edge of the rusty inner section of the disc on both sides.

Pushed back the piston (with reservoir cap loosened) copper eased the metal edges of the new pads and popped them back in, securing the guide pins and the front metal calliper clip.

Quick test drive and so far there is no knocking / tapping noise driving me insane.

One thing I noticed as that the pads were not wearing that evenly. For example on the outer pad, the wear was most on the trailing edge of the pad, and the leading edge on the inner pad - quite odd.

Anyhow its got new pads on the rear passenger side, and I'll do the offside rear tomorrow - knackered quite easily with this Covid lark.

Regards Larry