Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th November 2021, 19:29   #1
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Default Redex Diesel

Thinking of putting a couple of bottles of Redex diesel cleaner in me fuel filter, running the engine for a bit then leaving over night. It's been suggested I do an Italian tune up the next morning.
Question.
Would me keeping the engine revs at 4000rpm for a few minutes in park do the same job as a few minutes at 4000rpm on the motorway?
The object of the exercise is to clean the injectors up a bit.
Old 11th November 2021, 19:33   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Either will work, although I prefer to run it up the road when doing this to get some air flowing where it should.
Old 11th November 2021, 20:52   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Come on Trikey you know the old “Hull on Humberside” advise was Forte and full filter and run for 30 seconds then leave to resurrect dead injectors. 😉
You’ve been hanging around “cheap skate” Doodles for too long!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 21:01   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Come on Trikey you know the old “Hull on Humberside” advise was Forte and full filter and run for 30 seconds then leave to resurrect dead injectors. 😉
You’ve been hanging around “cheap skate” Doodles for too long!
Pmsl,
Old 11th November 2021, 21:13   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
Thinking of putting a couple of bottles of Redex diesel cleaner in me fuel filter, running the engine for a bit then leaving over night. It's been suggested I do an Italian tune up the next morning.
Question.
Would me keeping the engine revs at 4000rpm for a few minutes in park do the same job as a few minutes at 4000rpm on the motorway?
The object of the exercise is to clean the injectors up a bit.
Regarding the Redex in the fuel filter, it made no difference to mine. I cannot find the screenshots of TOAF of the injector readings before and after for the Redex.

How I did it was to fill the new fuel filter with Redex, start the car, and run for about 1 minute (just idle). Then switched off and left overnight to allow it to soak on the injector nozzles. Started up the following day, and no difference of any note. The engine temps and ambient temps were within 1 or 2 degrees of each other.

However, the year before, I did the same process with Forte Injector Cleaner. This did demonstrate a relatively large difference (improvement) in the figures. But as far as I am aware, the injectors had never been cleaned previously. (I dont know what the numbers actually mean, however there is less compensation between them)

Due to the lack of change in the before and after figures, unscientifically, I concluded Redex did nothing to clean the injectors. To confirm this, I used Forte again at the next filter change the following year, and whilst there was a much smaller change in the comparative figures, there was still a change (I did not screenshot this unfortunately). After the first change 2 years previously, there was a noticeable improvement in the running (and in particular idling) of the car - much more than i would have ever believed.

I now do it ever year, but I have not noticed any major physical improvement.

For cleaning them, I would recommend Forte instead, and leave it overnight to soak.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 01:57   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

You could always try this below twice a year, six months apart.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321013523280

I have never tried it into the fuel filter first then leave over night, just stick it into the tank twice a year on both my FL2 and R40

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 12th November 2021 at 02:13..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 06:54   #7
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

On my 2017 Berlingo van I use this every month. Great stuff and if you shop around you can get it for approx £8 a bottle. On the Citroen it has an extra tank of DPF cleaner approx 1.6 litres attached to the diesel tank and when you open the fuel flap it squirts some into the diesel tank. All very good but at £60 odd a litre it is very expensive and a right pain to refill.
My tank and pump went on me so £180 for a 1.5 ltr plastic tank and pump but no additive! Purchased 1 ltr of the additive and topped the remaining up with this Mannol fluid. No problems 2500 miles later and its running as sweet as a nut. If you read the bottle Im sure it says add a little every 6 months or so but as I use a varied brand of supermarket and branded diesel I like to keep on top of it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mannol-Dies...40600067&psc=1
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 08:01   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Forte every time, my mates old Diesel Merc struggles most years with its emissions but a can of that when it fails always sorts it out, in fact last year we put it in before the MOT and it seems to be lower that ever.

That reminds me it must be due soon as its always before Christmas.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 10:31   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Forte every time, my mates old Diesel Merc struggles most years with its emissions but a can of that when it fails always sorts it out, in fact last year we put it in before the MOT and it seems to be lower that ever.

That reminds me it must be due soon as its always before Christmas.
I always change my MOT tests to summer. I know that you can lose a few months (cashwise) of MOT but I prefer to prepare my cars in warmer weather!
Old 12th November 2021, 10:47   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I always change my MOT tests to summer. I know that you can lose a few months (cashwise) of MOT but I prefer to prepare my cars in warmer weather!
I changed my mot on the V6 Connie to June. With the diesel on sorn for the last 17 months, when I putthat back on the road, it means it will be mot time in June not early March like it used to be. Stops me rolling around on the ground in usually freezing conditions in February. Much better. And with regards to the Redex, I have been using it for yonks, about once every other tank full.