Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th December 2021, 11:11   #61
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Yesterday there was also the ''Whistle Blower'' about how bad they handled the Afganistan evacuation, they had a picture of him on the news, he looked like some one who had been on a youth opportunity program.
Overall. I agree with you Steve. However, without 'Whistleblowers' there would be an awful lot of bad practices and immoral behaviour the public would not know about. Remember the MP's allowance scandal - in the public domain because an ex-Iraq veteran was so disgusted he spilled the beans. A number of NHS spillages as well. Trouble is the 'whistleblower' is more likely to be given the bullet than any transgresser!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 11:58   #62
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I quote from the BBC News website:

He was seen by social workers just two months before his death but they concluded there were "no safeguarding concerns".

How can that be a result of "severe funding/resourcing shortages"?

I'd say that laying the blame with money is the convenient excuse to which you also referred.

Simon
Social services work is like any forensics task. They have to look for signs, follow-up on clues etc. The time available to spend on any one case will generally determine the quality of the work and the output. As will the investment in training etc. which is also resource demanding.

There will always be a small percentage of failures due to laziness and/or incompetence in any operation. But on the whole very few people go to work not caring about what they do or to positively do their work badly.

As an e2e programme manager of large and highly complex technical programmes, I have spent a lot of time over the years discussing with political animals why for example a design or implementation shortfall was not identified during the design/implementation process or during the validation/verification testing. It always comes down to the level of time and resource that is expended on executing these tasks.

I would suggest the same applies to policing.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 21:09   #63
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Don't give a toss!!!

LET HE OR SHE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.

Rev.
So you would prefer a complete news blackout? Nothing reported, ever?

In recent times, we have seen not just politicians and entertainers, but even clergy and royalty caught with their trousers down (literally), involved in serious offences. This being the case, how will you find individuals saintly enough to report what's happening?
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 12:21   #64
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
All those dictators that the UK helped to depose would have been proud of certain sections of the forum.
Don't forget all those dictators the UK has help put in power over the decades, I wonder what sentiment they may have, or might have had, and not forgetting, the UK also help depose of the very same dictators it help into power in the first place, it all depends on what the instructions from the USA were, that's what we call a special relationship.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2021, 17:38   #65
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Another avoidable loss of life

Quote:
So it's time for an emergency debate so that our MPs can legislate to tackle this problem so that an "Arthur" doesn't happen again.

Now watch how that doesn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
There will always be a small percentage of failures due to laziness and/or incompetence in any operation.
Hello Maninder,

Today we hear of yet another child who has lost her life:

"Family members and friends made five referrals to Bradford City Council between January and September 2020 ..."

Once again, Social Services didn't notice the signs.

Simon
Old 15th December 2021, 12:58   #66
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

What? The BBC biased? Of course it is, and why not? Everyone on here is, to their credit! We are not robots. We have preferences and we know what we think - good or not so good - either way.

Once you know which way a bias slants, you know what to expect! If we want wider cover, we can seek it from, at least these days, a huge variety of outlets. Er, most of them biased in their editorial way.

The only objection from me is the licence fee, now that's a scandal. You can end up in prison for that. Talk about archaically biased!
Old 15th December 2021, 14:14   #67
Twisterboy
Loves to post

75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

Quote:
Hello Maninder,

Today we hear of yet another child who has lost her life:

"Family members and friends made five referrals to Bradford City Council between January and September 2020 ..."

Once again, Social Services didn't notice the signs.

Simon
Seen that last night crying shame the Great Grandad dotted on that little girl and his and his wife's concerns were not taken seriously, same as the Baby Sitter's.
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 19:16   #68
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Star Hobson

It is more important to concentrate our minds on what could have been done to prevent the murder of sixteen month old Star Hobson.

Today we learn that her babysitter "who was present on the day social workers attended the couple's former address ... said the council "rang an hour beforehand just to tell them they were coming".

The level of incompetence is just staggering isn't it.

The BBC News website report adds that Star's mother "spent the hour cleaning Star, covering up bruises and things like that" and "made me hold Star so that the social worker couldn't really see much of what she was like."

The babysitter was angered when she was told the case had been closed.

It's very considerate to sympathise with the grieving relatives and condemn the murderers but neither will stop this happening again.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 15th December 2021 at 19:19.. Reason: Adding link
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote