Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th December 2021, 11:02   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Light bulb moment

the wife has had a light bulb moment and on the face of it seems a good idea. Need to do some home work to double check.

Our heating and hot water is mainly via a heat source pump, ineffective and very expensive. At this time of year £25 for 24 hours could be a real possibility and that is on top of what ever the solar panels produce. In the summer one hot day we had no hot water, we think a thermostat got so hot in the loft it told the heat source pump to turn off, yesterday, no hot water. Possibly due to heat source pump being in frost protection mode but then the plumbing and programming should override frost protection to produce hot water. I have never seen such a messy installation.

Light bulb moment. Remove the hot water system from the heat source pump and plumbing and fit an immersion heater. Not sure what size but wondering if something in the range of 100 - 150 litres will be enough. Only 2 of us but it is a 4 bed 3 bathroom property. One bathroom has an electric shower so only wash hand basin needs a hot water supply.

Seen a 3kw unvented tank that takes an hour 40 to heat but it does not say from what temperature to what temperature.

I like the idea, easy plumbing as all the water feeds are there. Fuse box in same room so power easy to get to. Waste water for pressure relief valve is also in same room.

Been reading up on building regs and think I will have a plumber in to do it.

Feeling very uplifted by the idea.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2021, 23:42   #2
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Interesting idea, and I'm concerned to hear of your problems with the heat source pump. May I ask how long you have you had it? And is the cost vastly more than you were expecting? £25 for a day is a scary propsect, especially when you have PV panels as well!
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 16:33   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
Interesting idea, and I'm concerned to hear of your problems with the heat source pump. May I ask how long you have you had it? And is the cost vastly more than you were expecting? £25 for a day is a scary propsect, especially when you have PV panels as well!
everything was fitted when we moved in. Since the post it has been colder and £25 for 24 hours would be cheap. If we ran the heating for 24 hours a day getting an electric bill over £40 would not surprise me.
The system be it in bits or complete I think is no older then 2018.
Some of the reasons for the cost. Rubbish design, long uninsulated pipe runs, long pipe runs that I think are not required, may be the heat source pump is too big, water flowing to where it is not needed I believe, poor programming/wiring/ thermostat registering calling for heat when it is not needed, pumps running for no apparent reason, heat source pump cycling on and off when the timers are not calling for heat. A very hot day resulted in no hot water. An unknown reason resulted in no hot water.

If you are thinking of having someone install a heat source pump for you do your own homework. What size pump for what size "house". Dont think because a company are on, for instance, Mitsubishis' web site they are any good. Dont think because the installer has, for instance, over 20 years experience they know what they are doing.

Not only do we intend to remove the 290L hot water tank we intend to remove a second 290L hot water tank. It is an overflow but I cannot see it ever being used.

yes costs are way way more than expected.

I am not a professional plumber but there are some things you know you know

I dont know if we will ever sort the all problems out but we will have to do something.

sorry, did I just rant?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote