Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th December 2021, 19:09   #91
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
That's one way to reduce the population, cycle into town and get mown down by the electric car you didn't hear coming.

LOL There is a pedestrian warning sound under 12 mph on this MG ZS EV, It's very hard to hear inside the car, I've stood at the side of the car whilst my missus pulled away & could barely hear it, Mind you my hearing is pants these days.

Might get run over by a zero emission motorcycle a few years after EV's too! as new petrol category L vehicles (motorbikes,mopeds etc) will no longer be sold in the UK from 2035.

https://www.britishmotorcyclists.co....o-end-in-2035/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 27th December 2021 at 19:19..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 07:59   #92
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I wonder how the rising power prices will be affecting the electric car owners.
See tesla just had 450,000 car recalled for safety issues!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:10   #93
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
I wonder how the rising power prices will be affecting the electric car owners.
See tesla just had 450,000 car recalled for safety issues!!
I'm on a fixed tarrif with EDF till August 2023, so I'm ok till then.
TBH, it affects EV drivers in the same way it affects ICE drivers when petrol and diesel go up - you pay more for less.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:00   #94
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I was having an interesting conversation with my neighbour yesterday, he used to be in new car sales and one of the other neighbours daughters has an electric car. He said '' I wonder what the hole life cost is compared to a proper car " (his words).
We know they have a higher purchase price and potentially a shorter life before they will need big expenditure ( new battery). On the positive side, they are free to tax and electricity is cheaper as long as you can recharge at home or have a deal. I have no idea what they cost to insure if you do the national average mileage or the cost of the annual service? Also what is a the depreciation like? I know I have seen Teslas advertised for what appears to be a bargain price.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:15   #95
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I was having an interesting conversation with my neighbour yesterday, he used to be in new car sales and one of the other neighbours daughters has an electric car. He said '' I wonder what the hole life cost is compared to a proper car " (his words).
We know they have a higher purchase price and potentially a shorter life before they will need big expenditure ( new battery). On the positive side, they are free to tax and electricity is cheaper as long as you can recharge at home or have a deal. I have no idea what they cost to insure if you do the national average mileage or the cost of the annual service? Also what is a the depreciation like? I know I have seen Teslas advertised for what appears to be a bargain price.

the free road tax is wrong they travel the roads just like very other vehicle but then it s no longer a road fund licences. IT cannot go on for life as eventually the amount of ICE cars will be minimal and the vast majority electric, money will need to be raised somehow and so I am sure they will be having to pay tax at some point in the future.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:27   #96
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Other approached to traveling are possibe.

In the 1980's I used to travel to Geneva every three months for technical meetings at the ITU/CCITT. Sometimes I flew. Other times, I would drive in my Austin Montego. I used to take 3 days to get there, stopping off at various Chateau in France in order to sample the French hospitality and way of life. Looking back, I could have done the same in an EV.

Travel does not need to be rushed - it can be turned into a cultural experience. We just need to get into a different mindset.

Thats fine IF you have all the time in the world, Some of us have to get from A-B and DONT have all the time in the world.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:33   #97
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

VED (tax) rates are always a transitory mechanism i.e. where the actual amount will change. VED differentiation between different types of cars is a good way of changing consumer behaviour. You are right that EV will not be zero rated for ever. But then in 99.9% of case VED is a very small part of the cost of owing and running a car.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:36   #98
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Thats fine IF you have all the time in the world, Some of us have to get from A-B and DONT have all the time in the world.

Do most people really need to travel in as short a time period as they do?

I would think that most people could easily double their travel time without significant detriment. The whole time thing is an artificial concept driven by our lifestyles.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:59   #99
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I worry about my X5 needing a new engine and / or gearbox more then our electric car needing a new battery!

Our ZS EV has just ticked over 20,000 miles so I thought I'd check the battery's state of health which turns out to be 98.4% so it's lost just 1.6% of its capacity in that time. I'd consider the car no longer of use to use when it can't make the 60 mile daily commute without charging which means it will need to lose at least 50% before we'd consider changing the battery.

By my calculations this means we could cover roughly 625,000 miles before needing to replace the battery! This equates to about 41 years so suffice to say I'm not too worried about it.
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:51   #100
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

i think the things that bother me the most are-
re tesla, only a tesla dealership is able to work on a tesla car,
the trade in value on a 8 year old tesla which is when the battery warranty finishes will be very little as the battery replacement is about $22,000 aud so the car is virtually worthless as a trade in.
So does the car become scrap value?
Further being as the car is still built using vast amounts of petroleum products,
seats, dash,trim, head unit, tyres, suspension,mirrors, body panels,battery casings, wiring etc, cant see how it is being marketed as this green new machine.
After you factor in the mining and processing the lithium for the batteries, i think
it takes about 5-6 years of use for the car to be carbon neutral, just in time for the new batteries-$22,000 aud later then you have just added another few years of carbon to zero emissions - so your getting up 8-10 years before being any benefit climate wise - here we go again!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote