Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2022, 19:58   #1
Prelude91
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Clutch woes

Guys, just thought I would share with you my recent experiences regards my ‘03 manual diesel estate. Some two months ago I started the car as normal, but the clutch pedal went to the floor and I could not engage any gear. After pumping the pedal the clutch pedal gained pressure and the ‘box engaged gears and drove as normal, for a couple of days. The problem subsequently reappeared, so I booked the car into my local garage for inspection / rectification. They found no obvious signs of fluid leakage so bled the system but noting that the fluid level had not dropped since the cars last visit to them. Several weeks later, the same issue arose, pedal to floor, unable to engage gears. The garage, again could not find any signs of leakage and replaced the master cylinder as a matter of course to eliminate it as the source of the problem. Over Christmas, the same issue reappeared. The garage is now advising me that the next step would be to drop the gearbox and replace the slave cylinder, clutch plate and or the DMF all dependant on what they discover on removal. The obvious issue at this stage is around costs. They have advised me that the cost of replacement parts may be around the 800 to 1000 quid mark. Thus far the cost of replacement parts and labour has amounted to approx 350 quid. I have been using this particular garage for over 20 years and trust their skills implicitly, albeit that they have rarely worked on 75’s and even then, mainly autos. The vehicle has now done over 200k and cost me 1300 quid some 6 years ago. Firstly do any of you guys had a similar experience, and therefore be able to help me regards fault diagnosis to establish costs before committing to opening a can of worms potentially? Alternatively, do I call it quits, and bite the bullet and buy another car with the proceeds of the potential clutch replacement.
Prelude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 20:21   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Not sure where your garage is getting their prices from, DMGRS (in Southampton) does a diesel clutch kit (incl slave) for £169. I think he has workshop facilities, I'd advise speaking to him before doing anything.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 20:29   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Do exactly what Steve says in his post above.
You should be able to halve that quote and also get into the hands of an R75 expert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 23:25   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

If the fluid level is not dropping in the master cylinder then I don't think there is a leak.

A couple of things to try:-
Bleed the clutch system again. Hopefully re-bleeding may solve the problem if there is air in the system.
Split the clutch pipe work in the engine bay at the quick release joint. No fluid should leak out. Press the clutch pedal down, it should not go down or if it does only a little way and should go solid. If it goes down perhaps slowly and after a few seconds then your master even new may have failed. An internal seal may have failed allowing fluid to by-pass an internal seal and remain in the master cylinder.
I had one fail this way after I think 11 months.

What did you get for £350 as in my opinion, that is very expensive for changing the master cylinder. I hope they know the master is attached to the clutch pedal and not under the bonnet

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 5th January 2022 at 23:30..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 19:48   #5
Prelude91
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Guys
Many thanks for your input. I will contact DMGRS and seek their advice. Not being too far from me I may drop the car down to them if they do supply and repair. If they do supply only, Imay get my local garage to fit the new clutch. I will ask them if they have completed the bleed sequence as described. The costs so far incurred was for two separate visits, the first to bleed only, the second to fit new master and bleed. I will keep you posted as to my progress, as and when. Curiously my original garages quote of 800 ish did not surprise me, as a friend of mine with the identical model paid that figure some years ago, so I am glad to have sought advice from here.
Prelude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 20:20   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude91 View Post
Hi Guys
Many thanks for your input. I will contact DMGRS and seek their advice. Not being too far from me I may drop the car down to them if they do supply and repair. If they do supply only, Imay get my local garage to fit the new clutch. I will ask them if they have completed the bleed sequence as described. The costs so far incurred was for two separate visits, the first to bleed only, the second to fit new master and bleed. I will keep you posted as to my progress, as and when. Curiously my original garages quote of 800 ish did not surprise me, as a friend of mine with the identical model paid that figure some years ago, so I am glad to have sought advice from here.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/

Thats their website.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 20:59   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude91 View Post
Hi Guys
If they charge £350 for 2 bleeds and supply and fitting a master find someone else.

This is a master cylinder
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...5480-stc000110

If anyone is going to charge you that sort of money again to change a master and bleed then have a long day out, drive to "Lincoln" and we can fit a new one together.
£50 for a master, 400 miles of fuel, a litre of Dot 4 and a packet of maryland cookies and that will be your cost

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 21:11   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The master cylinder that was changed was the one in the picture below.---( ie. inside the car not under the bonnet. )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heater and clutch master cylinder..jpg (62.6 KB, 19 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote